US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-12-2007, 11:47 AM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

His statement was truly vulgar, offensive, and not only that dangerous to the future of our country if someone with that kind of thinking gets elected.
You still think that he currently believes we should isolate AIDS patients?

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
a dumb analogy has you judging a whole party?
I'm not judging the whole party. I'm saying a statement like that could make his party look bad, kind of like how I wish Ann Coulter wouldnt say half the stuff she says. I know if I were a Democrat, I would have shuttered a little but when I heard him say that.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:54 AM   #107
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:09 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

Did you read the Huckabee thread?

Quote:

I'm not judging the whole party. I'm saying a statement like that could make his party look bad, kind of like how I wish Ann Coulter wouldnt say half the stuff she says. I know if I were a Democrat, I would have shuttered a little but when I heard him say that.
He made a bad analogy. That's it. It's true that Bush isn't popular. Could he have said it differently? Sure.

But essentially all he was saying is that Bush isn't popular, it really isn't even comparable to calling someone a 'faggot' or saying 'Jews need to be perfected'.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:51 PM   #108
She's the One

Local Time: 03:09 AM
Quote:

You're the one giving him the benefit of the doubt.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

CNN? The Challenge Nothing Network? And I certainly hope it makes the entire party look bad. Stupid statements like these are gonna blow the election for them.
What a reactionary statement.

First of all, what, 99% of people out there have never even heard of Paul Begala much less do they even know what party he's a talking head for? And you think that would be a factor in costing them the election? Honestly, that's just so incredibly reaching and short-sighted that I can't believe you actually believe it (however much you may hope it).

If Ann Coulter's vile statements (which are constant and considerably worse than this and I don't recall you showing the same level of outrage about) have never cost somebody an election, then I really think this is much ado about nothing.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:44 PM   #110
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Uh, dude. He said he wasn't backing off the statement. So, yes, not only does he believe it, he has told people about his belief, this year.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The new ABC/Washington Post National Poll has Hillary Clinton with a 30 point lead over Obama.

I wonder if Chris Matthews openly wept when he read that.
He and his cohorts are going to have to try even harder to make a race out of this.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #112
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
Local Time: 11:09 AM
Clinton or Obama are going to have a real tough time against Huckabee. It will be culture war all over again.

We still live in such a racist and sexist society in so many ways.

But I must admit that the recent Obama has me charged up. It feels like a real movement for change (can't say that about the centrist Clintocracy).

Kucinich is still my first love, but depending on how TN is polling right before the primary and how Barack does in the early states, I may have to jump to Obama.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:27 PM   #113
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
Clinton or Obama are going to have a real tough time against Huckabee. It will be culture war all over again.
Really? I think Huckabee will make the Dems win easily. I mean, as Irvine said, he's making his evangelical views the reason to vote for him.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:37 PM   #114
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:09 PM
^ That would likely be softpedaled for a general election campaign, though. The way candidates pitch themselves to 'the base' during the primaries is often quite different from their general election pitch.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 12-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by Anu

While I definitely agree that there are still those out there who have reservations about a woman president or a black president, at the same time, I like to think more people are open to the idea than we imagine. And phillyfan's right, no matter who the Democratic nominee winds up being, I think they have a very good chance.

Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
But I must admit that the recent Obama has me charged up. It feels like a real movement for change (can't say that about the centrist Clintocracy).

Kucinich is still my first love, but depending on how TN is polling right before the primary and how Barack does in the early states, I may have to jump to Obama.
. Kucinich and Obama remain my two favorite candidates. I'd be fine with either of them winning the Democratic nomination. If neither of them wins it, I'm going independent, but if one of them wins it, I'm voting for them next November, no question. People talk about how Obama should be more aggressive, and while I agree in some respects, at the same time, I really like how level-headed and calm he seems to be, and I like how sincere he sounds. I like his optimism, and I believe he will do his best to try and implement all the things he wants to do.

Angela
Old 12-12-2007, 07:42 PM   #116
Anu
Editor

Location: There ain't no place I'd rather be, baby won't you carry me back to Tennessee
I'm watching clips from the most recent Republican debate on YouTube, and most of these guys sound like Democrats.

The tide has shifted just a bit back to sanity thanks to GWB insanity.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #117
Anu
Editor

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2007/12...y3609678.shtml

Kucinich excluded. Yuck.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #118
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Anu

I used to think this was going to be an issue, but their overall polling numbers have been suprising, not just with Dems either.

I think if it comes down to Huck and one of these Dems that a lot of the middle ground will stay. The hardcore racist and sexist will come out and vote, but those that are and probably don't consider themselves to be will probably just stay home and watch TV that day. I just don't think Huck will appeal to the middle much at all, and Clinton and Obama will appeal to much of the middle.

Huck will get crushed in the debates. The only way I see Huck winning is if the fundies and bigots come out in full force.

Can you imagine the laughing stock that we will be to the rest of the world?

And here's president HUCKabee...
Old 12-12-2007, 07:49 PM   #119
Anu
Editor

While ultra-liberal, I live in bum-funk Tennessee, so I am aware of the sexism and racism issue as well as the evangelical issue.

Don't underestimate the 'gut' voter who will only turn out in November based on very superficial issues (which is why so many of my friends support Edwards==he is southern and white and male).

Kucinich is so far and away my first choice, but Obama has me interested. Very interested.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:28 PM   #120
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
The area I live in is pretty liberal, but I'm not sure who the most popular candidate is here. I can only imagine what people would have to say about candidates like Clinton or Obama in some of the other towns I've lived in, though....

Quote:
Originally posted by Anu
http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2007/12...y3609678.shtml

Kucinich excluded. Yuck.
That really sucks. Everybody who is running should be allowed the chance to be part of a debate. Kinda hard for us to decide who we're voting for next year if we don't actually hear from them.

BVS, eh, Huckabee can't be any worse a name than, oh, say, Putin .

Angela