US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't give a damn about appearance. That has nothing to do with the ability to get the job of president done. Kerry went too much on image and not enough on substance, in my opinion. That's how the Swift Boat people got as much done as they did.

I hate what television has done to American politics. The best looking candidates are given an unfair advantage. It really pisses me off.:censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Oh, did anyone see Dukakis on C-Span the other night? I didn't but my parents did. He said Romney had been a terrible governor of Massachusetts. He should know, he lives there.

Rush's comments about Hillary were predicated by a seven minute monologue about the US's obsession with youth; especially for women. He simply raised the question of whether or not our culture will expect an aging woman president. Per usual, the media talking heads focused in on one sound byte and ran with the sexist Rush angle.

anyway...a few bad photos are the least of Hillary's worries.

Well men age as President (usually even more so than average because of the stress) and some are reelected anyway. Anyone who has a problem with a woman doing so and not a man is a sexist. If you want a women who is perpetually ageless elect Joan Rivers.

verte76 said:
Oh, did anyone see Dukakis on C-Span the other night? I didn't but my parents did. He said Romney had been a terrible governor of Massachusetts. He should know, he lives there.

Well, he also is a Democrat so his assessment shouldn't be surprising.

Yes, he is definitely having his reasons, and probably elaborated on them, especially since he isn't directly involved in politics anymore, but generally him not being too fond of Romney's politics is pretty predictable.

The former Gov of MA, Paul Cellucci, who is a Republican, has come out against Romney (I think he's endorsing McCain, not sure) So has former Gov. Jane Swift who is also a Republican, not that she was a good Governor either. Not that that refutes your point, just that it isn't entirely partisan.

ORANGEBURG, South Carolina (CNN) – Former President Bill Clinton said Monday that the first thing his wife Hillary will do when she reaches the White House is dispatch him and his predecessor, President George H.W. Bush, on an around-the-world mission to repair the damage done to America's reputation by the current president — Bush's son, George W. Bush.

"Well, the first thing she intends to do, because you can do this without passing a bill, the first thing she intends to do is to send me and former President Bush and a number of other people around the world to tell them that America is open for business and cooperation again," Clinton said in response to a question from a supporter about what his wife's "number one priority" would be as president.

A spokesman for the George H.W. Bush was not immediately available to comment on whether the former president would chip in some diplomatic help after his son leaves office next year.

Clinton and the elder Bush, rivals in the 1992 presidential election, have grown chummy in recent years, often traveling and appearing at public events together. In 2005, they started a charity to help victims of Hurricane Katrina.

UPDATE: The Republican National Committee issued this statement in response to Clinton's comments:

"In 2009, a Republican president will be working with our friends and allies abroad to continue to keep our nation safe," said RNC spokesman Danny Diaz. "The American people expect our leaders — both current and former — to present serious solutions to the very real challenges confronting our nation."

MaxFisher said:
Rush's comments about Hillary were predicated by a seven minute monologue about the US's obsession with youth; especially for women. He simply raised the question of whether or not our culture will expect an aging woman president. Per usual, the media talking heads focused in on one sound byte and ran with the sexist Rush angle.

Yeah Rush's career of racist and sexist behaviour doesn't speak for itself, it's all the medias fault.

MaxFisher said:

and yet, the photo is still up on Drudge and it remains in the news cycle, akin to "John Kerry: Botox?" from 2004.

its how you talk about things without talking about things. like talking about the fact that Obama used cocaine by saying, "i'm not going to talk about the fact that Obama used cocaine."

Hillary does have other worries.

but, if this is the best the Republicans can do, seems they've got quite a bit to worry about as well. a oleaginous Mormon in a party that demands evangelical protestantism? a philandering New York asshole? a friendly flat earth creationist naif?

good luck.

MrsSpringsteen said:
The former Gov of MA, Paul Cellucci, who is a Republican, has come out against Romney (I think he's endorsing McCain, not sure) So has former Gov. Jane Swift who is also a Republican, not that she was a good Governor either. Not that that refutes your point, just that it isn't entirely partisan.

Yes, and I'm glad some Republicans agree with him here. It's giving his assessment more value.

As far as looks goes, Germany isn't that much better and Angela Merkel had to endure quite alot of media ridicule and criticism for her looks, and much emphasis was put on what she wears and all.
Nevertheless, she adapted a bit, but not much, and she still isn't a beauty by any means, but she managed to get elected (though it might be noted that the election system helped her as she didn't have to run against other politicians of her party, which she probably would have won as well).

In the end you would rather see more people not voting for Hilary because she is a woman than because of her looks, but hopefully the great majority will base their decision on what she offers politically.

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:

but, if this is the best the Republicans can do, seems they've got quite a bit to worry about as well. a oleaginous Mormon in a party that demands evangelical protestantism? a philandering New York asshole? a friendly flat earth creationist naif?

good luck.

Let's take a look at the other side. A bitchy, shrieking ex-first lady who is somehow viewed as experienced and the best candidate is something I will never know. And then you have a junior Senator who has given a few speeches and is all of a sudden seen as the savior of the Democratic party. This is the best they can do? The party of Roosevelt, Kennedy and Johnson? This is their crop of candidates?

No thanks.

I want to chop off my ears whenever I hear her laughing. I pray I don't have to listen to her for the next 4 years.

2861U2 said:

Let's take a look at the other side. A bitchy, shrieking ex-first lady who is somehow viewed as experienced and the best candidate is something I will never know. And then you have a junior Senator who has given a few speeches and is all of a sudden seen as the savior of the Democratic party. This is the best they can do? The party of Roosevelt, Kennedy and Johnson? This is their crop of candidates?

No thanks.

if you're going to use the word "bitchy" to describe Hillary -- which is wildly imaginative, way to go -- why don't you use use the N-word or maybe "oreo" to describe Obama?

and this is tough talk from the "Party of Lincoln." at least the Dems aren't self-immolating in a theological discussion that belongs in 17th century Europe.

Irvine511 said:

if you're going to use the word "bitchy" to describe Hillary -- which is wildly imaginative, way to go

Says the guy who resorted to "asshole" when speaking about Giuliani.

:rolleyes:

Well one is a legitimate label, and one is not. Giuliani has done things to deserve the asshole term, while Clinton hasn't earned the adjective bitchy.

2861U2 said:

Says the guy who resorted to "asshole" when speaking about Giuliani.

:rolleyes:

i mean "asshole" as a catch-all term for a new yorker stereotype -- it was a noun, and it's not gender specific, like "bitchy."

For those who refuse to accept the truth and listen to me, it has nothing to do with gender either:

POLL1218CLR.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom