US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III - Page 55 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2008, 08:54 PM   #811
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:55 AM
Last nights debate made me wonder......

Can they avoid tearing apart the party?

Old 01-22-2008, 09:13 PM   #812
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

That's another thing that frustrates me. I hear all the Republicans on TV saying how they want someone who can unite the country and reach across the aisle, but when the fact that McCain has done just that comes up, they seem to condemn him for working with Democrats.
True. . . There is hope for you yet, young grasshopper. .

Old 01-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #813
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

oxymoron

"Those close to Thompson say that his mind has been elsewhere since...."
1. 1992.
2. He married that hot wife of his.
3. He found out that real life isn't scripted.
4. He found out that Nixon said mean things about him.
5. He didn't get Sam Waterston's endorsement.
6. Law and Order hired yet another hot new assistant DA for Jack McCoy and Fred hasn't been part of the show.
7. The lease ran out on the Red Truck.
8. Since it was revealed that historians believe that the real reason Robert E. Lee surrendered at Appomattox is because the Union drummer boy was Fred Thompson.
9. He heard about the impending leak of his Secret Service codename, "Johnny Sack."
10. The Screenwriter's strike deprived him of anything to say.
11. His wife left him for older man.
12. He heard he was up for part of Gollum in Peter Jackson's upcoming production of the Hobbit.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:36 PM   #814
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Love

Love will ...
Old 01-22-2008, 11:58 PM   #815
The Fly

Local Time: 09:55 AM
I'm thinking of becoming an independent after the Feb caucus.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:10 AM   #816
Blue Crack Supplier

i'm thinking i'm through with the Clintons.

it's the joy they seem to be taking in tag-teaming Obama that's really getting under my skin.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:11 AM   #817
War Child

Local Time: 05:55 AM
I really really really like Ron Paul. Anyone with me on that? Or is everyone just joining the Obama bandwagon?
Old 01-23-2008, 03:51 AM   #818
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:55 AM
^ We have a thread about Ron Paul here.
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
it's the joy they seem to be taking in tag-teaming Obama that's really getting under my skin.
I actually think there's a good possibility that tactic might backfire on her, especially if Bill Clinton continues to be involved in it.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 01-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #819
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

What debate was this? The South Carolina one?
Old 01-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #820
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i'm thinking i'm through with the Clintons.

I agree. I had always loved Bill Clinton as most democrats do, but this campaign has been so vile and disgusting, it shows they will do ANYTHING to win. I'm afraid to think how far they would go.

The remake of The Manchurian Candidate is echoing loudly here.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:19 AM   #821
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
I agree. I had always loved Bill Clinton as most democrats do, but this campaign has been so vile and disgusting, it shows they will do ANYTHING to win. I'm afraid to think how far they would go.
There is something blatantly distasteful about their campaign; I agree.

At the same time, like I said before, if Hillary is the nominee, do you think she would ever allow anyone to Swiftboat her? Yarite. The Clintons are not above playing dirty and considering the behaviour and tactics of the Republicans during elections, if nothing else, you know that the Clintons are going to either hit first or hit back hard. Not my first choice, but I'm also sick to death of the Democrats acting like feckless losers (yes, Nancy and Harry, you especially).
Old 01-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #822
Blue Crack Addict

Would she allow herself to get Swiftboated? No. My fear is that she would do the Swiftboating first, and it could very well backfire.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #823
Refugee

My first post on a U2 site and its about politics! Bono would be proud, I guess. Here's my take: our faith, religion, values can influence our positions on political issues both as citizens and as presidential candidates. We can appeal to the values of Christianity when we speak of equal opportunity, affordable health care, etc. We can talk about our faith as all the candidates do. Where we get off track is when we try and impose, legally, through the political system, these views on others as a way of limiting their conduct.(gay marriage, abortion,contraception, etc) If, as a Catholic, I am against abortion, I should talk about what I believe is the best way to reduce abortions without imposing my views: pre natal care, child care, good jobs, and all those things that mothers will consider in making that choice. I could be a good Catholic and DISAGREE strongly with the church on condoms. If their goal is to not have abortions, contraception is a no brainer, as our Bishops and priests(I'm from Boston, trust me!) can not even be abstinent, so how could they expect the rest of us to be? We can persuade and lead with our values, rather than impose them on a majority that does not share our view. Huckabee doesnt get this, most of the right does not, and that is dangerous and threatening to the moderate pro life/moderate pro choice consensus that is emerging on prevention, adoption, child care,etc. We are actually making progress on this issue, tremendous progress even since 2004 election!We do not need a Huckabee to come along and get both sides back in the trenches, so to speak. Pro lifers will be 'nazis' again and pro choice people will be 'baby killers' again. The rhetoric will rise to raise money, and the country will continue to be divided on this issue. We need someone w/ faith and pragmatic understanding of our system. I personally liked Joe Biden, but hes out. All I know is on these issues, we cant afford Huckabee.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:58 AM   #824
Refugee

Very true, antitram, Hillary is not my first choice either, she was 4th after Biden, Richardson, Edwards. However, the media ignored my top 2 and Edwards is as much of an underachiever as he is a genuine and likable guy with a truly great American life story. So I'm looking to Hillary, as I know the Clintons at least are fighters. Obama has no experience, either with policy or politics, and just NEVER impressed me on anything. The Republicans would bowl him right over in November. Hillary faces a tough road for sure, and shes far from perfect, but at least she'll fight and if she gets in, will do her damn best as I believe she truly does care about people.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #825
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

There is something blatantly distasteful about their campaign; I agree.

At the same time, like I said before, if Hillary is the nominee, do you think she would ever allow anyone to Swiftboat her? Yarite. The Clintons are not above playing dirty and considering the behaviour and tactics of the Republicans during elections, if nothing else, you know that the Clintons are going to either hit first or hit back hard. Not my first choice, but I'm also sick to death of the Democrats acting like feckless losers (yes, Nancy and Harry, you especially).

yeah, this is the conundrum.

they really would slit throats to win. but this would seem to guarantee another 4-8 years of bitter partisanship and rancor, and it seems to me that Obama (and even McCain) are ways to get beyond all this boomer narcissism and actually move the country forward. McCain has and will work with Democrats, and though i'll never forgive him for Iraq or for rimming the Bushies in 2004, i can see the other side working with him whereas i cannot see any Republican publicly working with HRC.

i don't care how much she knows. i don't care how much experience she has. it's all negligible if you can't get other people to do what you want them to do.

sure, it would be entertaining to watch the Clintons destroy the Republican candidate after they're done with Obama. i'm quite sure there's an element of political revenge for what the Republican Congress put them through in the 1990s with everything from Whitewater to the Starr report. there will be blood, make no mistake.

but i'm not sure that's good for us, or for anyone.