US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III - Page 52 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2008, 12:07 AM   #766
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:14 AM
Quote:
And the Constitution was amended. It now reads "Congress shall make no laws respecting the establishment of religion...."

That is so beautiful that I want one here (singing Jesus Loves Me in a state schools Religious Education lessons was wrong from a secularism standpoint).

Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 AM   #767
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Well try and refute my explanations please. The Republicans' divided, the Dems didn't.

I found nothing wrong with what the Democrats said there. I also didn't find anything wrong with what Romney or Huckabee said.

You said of Romney's quote "To me this says those who don't believe will not have a friend in Mitt." I don't see that as the implication at all. To me, he's saying that he would be the president of people of any and all faiths, including no faith at all. He was probably addressing the stupid notion that he would be a "Mormon president" only.

Huckabee: "The Bible was not written to be amended. The Constitution was."

Are you telling me that that's a false statement? To the best of my knowledge, the Constitution was amended to allow blacks and women to vote, among many others things. Are you telling me that justice and equal worthiness are ideas not found in the Bible?

Old 01-22-2008, 12:14 AM   #768
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

I found nothing wrong with what the Democrats said there. I also didn't find anything wrong with what Romney or Huckabee said.

You said of Romney's quote "To me this says those who don't believe will not have a friend in Mitt." I don't see that as the implication at all. To me, he's saying that he would be the president of people of any and all faiths, including no faith at all. He was probably addressing the stupid notion that he would be a "Mormon president" only.

Huckabee: "The Bible was not written to be amended. The Constitution was."

Are you telling me that that's a false statement? To the best of my knowledge, the Constitution was amended to allow blacks and women to vote, among many others things. Are you telling me that justice and equal worthiness are ideas not found in the Bible?
Romney's quote mentions nothing of those who don't believe, so how would anyone read that athiest or agnostics have a friend in Romney? In fact other quotes have backed up my statement.

Huck's quote. You need to learn how to read things in context, you seem to have a problem with that. Huck's been quoted many times saying the constitution needs to be ammended to be closer to the Bible.

Both divide, plain and simple. They were not just personal statements but declarations.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:18 AM   #769
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:14 AM
Huckabee is stating that he is an imbecile, he is saying that he believes that the Bible is a perfect bit of God revealed truth therefore it must be superior to a man made document. The man wants a big government to institute a conservative Christian social agenda - he is the candidate for theocracy.

Having a constitution that preached liberty while the authors held slaves was an evil, that a society could strive towards more freedom however slowly and incrementally and adjust it's guidelines to the ends of being a freer society, for greater liberty, is a good thing for most people. Huckabee is stating that he has a revealed bit of truth that he sees as a superior rule book and he would have no issue pushing those principles into the constitution (if given the opportunity - which he never would be).

Huckabee treats an amendable constitution as a weakness, not unlike his mobs contempt for the scientific method because it can find new answers and reject flawed older theories (eternal ignorance is far superior to progressive accumulation of knowledge in the mind of a fundamentalist).
Old 01-22-2008, 12:20 AM   #770
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

“My Bible tells me that if we train a child in the way he should go, when he is old he will not turn from it. So I think faith and guidance can help fortify … a sense of reverence that all young people should have for the act of sexual intimacy.”
(Barack Obama, US presidential hopeful)

Mixing up the Bible with sexuality

A slippery slope. indeed.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:30 AM   #771
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:14 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Mixing up the Bible with sexuality

A slippery slope. indeed.
Only in the eyes of some...

And most of those have already made up their minds.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:41 AM   #772
Blue Crack Addict

Did anyone watch the Democratic debate? I literally yelled at my tv and said who cares about this crap when Sen Clinton and Sen Obama were sniping back and forth. I think John Edwards won that debate and I think I might have to vote for him.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:53 AM   #773
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:14 AM
I watched the debate. Edwards was great. All of them were really going at each other.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:10 AM   #774
Blue Crack Addict

(Reuters)Mon Jan 21, 11:58 AM ET

Consumer advocate Ralph Nader said on Monday he will decide soon on whether to make a another bid for the White House in 2008, eight years after playing a key role as a third party presidential candidate.

"I'll decide in about a month," he said in an interview broadcast on CBC Radio's Daybreak show in Montreal.

"What I'm deciding on right now is whether we can get enough volunteers, enough financial resources to overcome the huge ballot access obstacles, which you don't experience here in Canada, but which are the worst in the Western world in the United States," said Nader, who will turn 74 on February 27.

Nader, who made his name as a consumer crusader during decades of battling corporations on matters from car to food safety, ran for president as an independent in 2004 and as the Green Party candidate in 2000.

Critics say he siphoned away enough votes from then Democratic Vice President Al Gore in the 2000 campaign -- especially in Florida -- to help Republican George W. Bush to win the White House.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:16 AM   #775
She's the One

Local Time: 04:14 PM
Old 01-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #776
Blue Crack Distributor

Normal yes

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Did anyone watch the Democratic debate?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:38 AM   #777
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:14 AM
I turned it on 45 minutes into it when Edwards and Clinton were ganging up on Obama. It'll be interesting to see if that works for him the way the debate in NH did for Hillary.

One thing's for sure, there's no lost between Clinton and Obama.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #778
Blue Crack Addict

It was a terrible debate. Edwards was probably the best. The continued sniping between Clinton and Obama made both of them look fairly pathetic last night.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:06 AM   #779
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Yeah, I think Obama really got beat up last night by both of them. Makes me wonder if he could hold his own against someone like McCain.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:08 AM   #780
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
It'll be interesting to see if that works for him the way the debate in NH did for Hillary.
[B]
I don't think it matters. He's already leading by 10 in SC, whereas in NH, Hillary was behind.