US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2007, 04:33 PM   #61
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:22 AM
OK, I don't like Bill Clinton. There. I'm an independent, as well. I'm not a Clinton fan.

George W. Bush has done nothing for this.

Now, discuss with me without referring to Bill Clinton, please.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:34 PM   #62
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:22 AM
2861U2

And do you still think you were waranted bringing up Clinton knowing the climate of the situation now?

Old 12-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #63
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
OK, I don't like Bill Clinton. There. I'm an independent, as well. I'm not a Clinton fan.

George W. Bush has done nothing for this.

Now, discuss with me without referring to Bill Clinton, please.
Gladly. Gays in the military- is that the discussion to which you are referring?
Old 12-02-2007, 04:59 PM   #64
Blue Crack Supplier

Correct. The issue of gays in the military. Your issue seemed to be my use of the word "bigot" to describe these people who want to deny rights to citizens. I'm glad you don't hold those views, but you defend people who do.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:09 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Correct. The issue of gays in the military. Your issue seemed to be my use of the word "bigot" to describe these people who want to deny rights to citizens. I'm glad you don't hold those views, but you defend people who do.
When it comes to gays being allowed to serve in the military, I will not defend any Republican candidate who believes they shouldnt serve. Like I've said, on this issue, I believe they are dead wrong. What I was trying to convey (maybe unsuccessfully) was that all I saw was one-sided attacks. I'm fully aware that Bill is no longer president, but if you're going to criticize, criticize both sides, including anyone who supports or has ever supported DADT. If you do that, I'm more than happy to join in and criticize Romney or whoever else (at least on this particular issue- I'll defend them on mostly everything else, though).
Old 12-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #66
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

I'm fully aware that Bill is no longer president, but if you're going to criticize, criticize both sides, including anyone who supports or has ever supported DADT.
Well you're still ignoring all context of the time. Until you are willing to recognise what was going on at the time, this discussion is useless.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:26 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Well you're still ignoring all context of the time. Until you are willing to recognise what was going on at the time, this discussion is useless.
From what I understand, gays were being brutally harassed in the military (Allen Schindler), causing Clinton to sign DADT. That's no excuse though. Saying that somebody CAN'T serve in the military if they desire is just wrong. If a homosexual acknowledges the potential danger to himself by his peers and doesn't want to take a chance, fine. But I'm sure there were those who, knowing of the harassment, would still have signed up and couldnt.
Old 12-02-2007, 05:29 PM   #68
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Saying that somebody CAN'T serve in the military if they desire is just wrong.
I agree. Same with marriage as well.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:01 PM   #69
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I'm fully aware that Bill is no longer president, but if you're going to criticize, criticize both sides, including anyone who supports or has ever supported DADT. If you do that, I'm more than happy to join in and criticize Romney or whoever else (at least on this particular issue- I'll defend them on mostly everything else, though).
Do you think that at the end of the Civil War it was even remotely possible that an African American person who just was released from slavery would have been allowed equal rights?

These things happen in steps. DADT is a step. It was the first step. It's SUPPOSED to be progressive. Bush and his fellow GOPers have done nothing since then. Nothing,
Old 12-02-2007, 06:02 PM   #70
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I agree. Same with marriage as well.
Exactly.

Anything else is bigotry.

Those against gay marriage don't have opinions.

They're just wrong.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:29 PM   #71
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:22 PM
Quote:
Do you think that at the end of the Civil War it was even remotely possible that an African American person who just was released from slavery would have been allowed equal rights?

These things happen in steps.
Actually, this is wrong--black Southerners had MORE rights during the Reconstruction era than they would for three-quarters of a century afterwards; the Civil Rights Act of 1866 and the 14th and 15th amendments guaranteed African-Americans' civil rights, including the right to vote, but these rights were then effectively retracted through a legislative process beginning about 25 years after the start of Reconstruction and complete by another 25 years after that. Jim Crow wasn't "baby steps," it was a backlash.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 12-02-2007, 06:50 PM   #72
Blue Crack Supplier

Which goes along with my point of it not being possible.

Not that I'm at all for the Jim Crow laws, but looking at the context of the time, it's not surprising at all that those resulted. A lot of ignorance has to be overcome.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:14 PM   #73
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:22 AM
However, there is a little difference between blacks and gays serving in the military---it's easier to tell whether someone is black than gay It was easier to discriminate then.

Doesn't change the fact however that denying gays the right to fight for our/their country is just plain wrong.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:55 PM   #74
Blue Crack Supplier

My point in the comparison was to talk about how slow our country moves away from these things. It took us a long time with racism, just as the issue over rights for homosexuals will take a long time.

Having a President who's willing to take more steps is a start.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:42 PM   #75
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:22 AM
There are no further baby steps to take. The next forward move is for gays to openly serve in the military, subject to the same sexual conduct rules as heterosexuals.