US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Edwards has my respect for bowing out.

He seems to be a class act.

Let the contest be among the real contenders.

on the GOP side

there is speculation Huckabee
is being encouraged to stay in through Feb 5, to take away votes from Romney and lock in McCain

in return McCain's people are pledging to help Huckabee retire his sizable campaign debt

deep said:

on the GOP side

there is speculation Huckabee
is being encouraged to stay in through Feb 5, to take away votes from Romney and lock in McCain

Right. It seems Romney's biggest obstacle right now is Huckabee. It makes me wonder what states, if any, Romney might win. McCain will win Cali, Illinois, NJ, NY, and Huckabee will probably win a lot of the southern states. McCain's in very good shape, that's for sure.

deep said:

It depends on if we're believing the LA Times, or his site, I suppose. Obama's website states:

Obama will immediately begin to remove our troops from Iraq. He will remove one to two combat brigades each month, and have all of our combat brigades out of Iraq within 16 months. Obama will make it clear that we will not build any permanent bases in Iraq. He will keep some troops in Iraq to protect our embassy and diplomats; if al Qaeda attempts to build a base within Iraq, he will keep troops in Iraq or elsewhere in the region to carry out targeted strikes on al Qaeda.

I personally think it's silly for anyone to give a specific plan for economics or Iraq a year from now because, in a year, the situation could be entirely different and their plans may be irrelevant. That goes for all candidates.

2861U2 said:

Right. It seems Romney's biggest obstacle right now is Huckabee. It makes me wonder what states, if any, Romney might win. McCain will win Cali, Illinois, NJ, NY, and Huckabee will probably win a lot of the southern states. McCain's in very good shape, that's for sure.

Romney will win in MA, obviously.

deep said:
Edwards has my respect for bowing out.

He seems to be a class act.

Let the contest be among the real contenders.

I don't understand why he wasn't perceived as a "real contender" all along, why people didn't pay attention to his message, aside from the fact that the media acted like he wasn't in the race and didn't give him airtime.

My whole office, all of whom were planning to vote enthusiastically for Edwards next week, just gathered around the TV to watch his announcement. We waited 25 minutes, the speech started, and then the emergency broadcast test came on. :lol: It was a Seinfeld moment.

joyfulgirl said:

I don't understand why he wasn't perceived as a "real contender" all along, why people didn't pay attention to his message, aside from the fact that the media acted like he wasn't in the race and didn't give him airtime

Maybe he wasn't perceived as a contender because of the lack of media attention- the most he ever got was by dropping out and how much he spent on his hair and how much his house is worth. It's sad, they just want a Clinton/Obama media created drama. Maybe if he had sunk down to that level he would have gotten some attention. I admire him for sticking to his principles and his message. I was leaning towards voting for him more often than not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom