US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III - Page 44 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #646
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:50 PM
Why do you say that? After the New Hampshire debate, lots of people were saying that it was obvious Edwards wanted to be Obama's VP.

There's no way in hell he's going to be president, so if he really wants to be in a position of power and get things done, why not take VP?

Old 01-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #647
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Edwards would never go for VP again
You don't think he'd accept? I bet he would. The thing is, I'm not sure if he'd be offered it. Would Obama risk a VP that failed last time?

Old 01-10-2008, 03:28 PM   #648
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:50 PM
What makes you think he would? He wants to be on the top of the ticket and after 2004 I don't think he would settle for the bottom again.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #649
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by namkcuR
Obama ought to request a private meeting with Edwards...

Offer him a guarantee of the VP spot should he(Obama) win the nomination in exchange for his(Edwards') dropping out ASAP.

Obama needs Edwards' votes.
Perhaps a seat on the Supreme Court would be more appealing (not financially) to Edwards.

Of course it would probably take a 60 Dems in the Senate to get it up for a vote.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:30 PM   #650
Blue Crack Addict

Edwards was doing a fine job with his poverty center at UNC, I'd like to see him continue to do something like that.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:11 PM   #651
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
What makes you think he would? He wants to be on the top of the ticket and after 2004 I don't think he would settle for the bottom again.
What's so dishonorable about getting the VP nod? I think he would have a much better chance of getting it this time. If it doesn't work out, then he can go back to whatever.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:21 PM   #652
Blue Crack Addict

I think the best ticket would be Hillary and Obama, in any order
Old 01-10-2008, 05:10 PM   #653
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
What's so dishonorable about getting the VP nod? I think he would have a much better chance of getting it this time. If it doesn't work out, then he can go back to whatever.
I think she may have been referring to what by the end of Kerry's campaign was the painfully obvious fact that he and Edwards weren't getting along at all (purportedly they weren't even on speaking terms), which had to be pretty humiliating for Edwards.

I do like the idea of an Obama/Edwards ticket, but I can understand skepticism as to whether Edwards would accept that. Obama/Clinton (or Clinton/Obama) is hard for me to imagine right now--I have a hard time seeing either of them being willing to play second fiddle to the other when they could continue to focus on their Senate careers instead.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 01-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #654
Blue Crack Addict

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) – In the race for presidential endorsements, Mike Huckabee has the kitschy pop culture celebrity vote on lockdown.

First it was martial arts hero and "Walker, Texas Ranger" star Chuck Norris, who appears with Huckabee in his first TV ad.

Then hard-rocking hunting enthusiast Ted Nugent jumped on the Huckabee bandwagon, citing the Republican's support for second amendment rights.

Now, Huckabee is getting ready to rumble: wrestler Ric Flair, a.k.a. The Nature Boy, is supporting the former Arkansas governor in his bid for the White House.

CNN has learned the WWE wrestler is on board with Huckabee, and will co-host a campaign tailgate with the candidate at the South Carolina vs. Clemson football game on Saturday afternoon in Columbia, South Carolina. More details are forthcoming.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #655
Blue Crack Addict

I believe John Kerry allegedly commented on Edwards talking about his deceased son Wade and accused him of using it politically, I recall reading that somewhere. So I can't imagine Edwards wants anything to do with him or even cares about his endorsement.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:36 PM   #656
Refugee

Local Time: 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

I think she may have been referring to what by the end of Kerry's campaign was the painfully obvious fact that he and Edwards weren't getting along at all (purportedly they weren't even on speaking terms), which had to be pretty humiliating for Edwards.

Why weren't they getting along? I've never this, what happened?
Old 01-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #657
Blue Crack Addict

Not everybody gets along. Their personalities clashed, I think they had some disagreements over how the campaign should be run
Old 01-10-2008, 06:12 PM   #658
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:50 PM
Yeah, I don't know that there was ever any detailed inside info on their relationship made public. There were vague insider insinuations at the time that Kerry felt Edwards wasn't sufficiently supportive of him, that Edwards in turn felt straitjacketed by Kerry, that Kerry would have really preferred Dick Gephardt all along and made that obvious, that Kerry regarded Edwards' talking publically about the effects of his son's death on him as distasteful, that their New-England-reserve/Southern-loquaciousness personalities clashed, that just in general the two of them had never 'clicked' socially despite having been acquainted for years, etc., etc.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 01-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #659
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Young voters propelled Hillary to NH victory -- cool:

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0108/7823.html
Old 01-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #660
Refugee

Did McCain just say that al-Qaeda wants to trade Burkhas with the U.S.?