US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Huckabee beats him in FL tomorrow.

and he comes in 4th

he will get out on Wednesday.

he won't have the balls to stay in 6 more days and let NY's vote go on the record
- what they think of "America's Mayor".

deep said:

and he comes in 4th

he won't have the balls to stay in 6 more days and let NY's vote go on the record

I hope he gets out before Super Tuesday. He would undoubtedly endorse McCain if he did.

deep said:

and he comes in 4th

Well, at least we agree on something these days :wink:

3a71a2cc-38e8-491e-a4bd-0058c2cd418c.jpg

I saw that photo on MSNBC last night...pretty interesting.

They also showed footage of Obama coming down the aisle and how he looked like the president because he had this entourage behind him and people were clamoring to shake his hand and speak to him.

Don't know about Hillary.

deep said:

being petty

is not Presidential

unless W is your role model :shrug:

It's obvious that the picture was caught at just the right time to look that way, but if you look at Hilary's eyes, they aren't directed at Obama, and she's clasping the white haired guy's hand.

deep said:

Are you comparing Obama to Jackson?

Well, if you are
you might be in good company.

who does that?

i mean, they have so much in common, right? one is merely the same thing, come along 24 years later, right?

Irvine511 said:

who does that?

a (future) First Lady?

Michelle Obama cites Jesse Jackson at Atlanta Civic Center on Sunday

As the Rev. Jesse Jackson put it, presidential hopeful Barack Obama was present at the Atlanta Civic Center on Sunday even if he wasn't there.

"He is very much in this place, on everybody's lips, on everybody's minds," said Jackson as he prepared to enter the Trumpet Awards, a star-studded gala that celebrate black achievement.

But the headline star may have been the headline speaker, a relative unknown until last year. Michelle Obama, who brought a thunderous applause, proved that her husband was on "everybody's mind."

Michelle Obama mentioned the notables in the audience, she mentioned Jackson, who ran for president in 1984 and 1988.

"It's been 20 years and many changes and America has gotten better," he said. "But there is some unfinished business."

Mentioning someone in the audience, who himself spoke before, hardly makes a comparison.

The white haired guy is Senator Kennedy :) And whatever the reason is for him looking away (he said he was looking at someone else/going to speak to them), Senator Obama had to have known she was there the whole time. It just looks bad, and really isn't befitting of what I think he is like as a person. I'm surprised.

This is from huffington post

"I was turning away because Claire [McCaskill] asked me a question, as Senator Kennedy was reaching for her [Clinton]... And senator Clinton and I have had very cordial relations on the floor and off the floor; I waved at her as we were coming into the Senate chamber before we walked over. I think there's a lot more tea leaf reading going on here than I think people are suggesting."

However, this explanation seemed to contradict another statement offered by senior Obama adviser David Axelrod:

AXELROD: this was obviously an awkward day from that standpoint, and I don't think he wanted to stand there while Senator Kennedy was greeting Senator Clinton and I think that was an appropriate sentiment. Unfortunately, the camera caught it in a different way, and so it got interpreted that way and that's the kind of environment we're in right now. It's a very competitive race, so every little thing is going to be interpreted in that way- but it was really, I think, a matter of letting Senator Kennedy have his own conversation, his own greeting with Senator Clinton without him hovering over them.
BRZEZINSKI: I, I guess. I mean, I guess the Clinton campaign may see it as a snub. We've been getting a few e-mails and-

SCARBOROUGH: you're right. and then it was also interesting afterwards, David --

AXELROD: -in this environment, every single thing can be inflated and interpreted and will in a political -- in a hyperpolitical light. But- it is what I suggested. I think it's understandable that he would not want to stand there with Senator Kennedy as if he were-- lording it over her. I, I, I you know, I understand that instinct.

Last edited:
How was he to know that there was some camera man above him waiting for the right "awkward" looking moment even if it were completely innocent?

Don't get me wrong, from a photographer's standpoint it's great, but we really don't know the full context.

Irvine511 said:

who does that?

i mean, they have so much in common, right? one is merely the same thing, come along 24 years later, right?
Ouch, you walked right into that one :wink:

MrsSpringsteen said:
The white haired guy is Senator Kennedy :) And whatever the reason is for him looking away (he said he was looking at someone else/going to speak to them), Senator Obama had to have known she was there the whole time. It just looks bad, and really isn't befitting of what I think he is like as a person. I'm surprised.

It is a small thing

that becomes a big thing.

perception is reality

I believe he has gotten out in front of it early enough that it will not have long legs.

He has a statement out saying he turned before see shook Ted's hand and was engaged in another conversation.

I did watch it in real time and have it on my tivo.

I believe he intentionally turned away.

Just as Hillary intentionally reached up to Kennedy.

she understands the importance of appearing magnanimous.

and Obama is still a bit green in that department
you may recall during one debate when Hillary said
that it hurts her feelings that some people think she is not likable.

and Obama retorted, likable, enough.

MrsSpringsteen said:

That's who I thought it was, but I didn't want to say so and be wrong.

Does anyone know if this is true? It's on Huffington post. I'm sure they must have some Obama supporters on there more than once. People are commenting on there that CNN is becoming the Obama network. Bill Bennett is on there too, who complains about him?

Okay, this is interesting. I've just learned that CNN has told top Dem strategists James Carville, Paul Begala, and Robert Zimmerman -- who are CNN mainstays but are all Hillary supporters -- that they will not be doing any more political analysis on the network until the Democratic primary has reached a conclusion.

I'm also told that this move came after the Obama campaign repeatedly complained to high level officials at CNN about the presence of Carville and Begala on the network.

U2democrat said:
How was he to know that there was some camera man above him waiting for the right "awkward" looking moment even if it were completely innocent?

Don't get me wrong, from a photographer's standpoint it's great, but we really don't know the full context.

Exactly, this picture isn't worth anything without the seconds before.
You see Clinton shaking hands with Kennedy, and Obama just turning away, and draw some conclusions you probably want to see. And this picture certainly can be interpreted in many ways.

You can also see Hillary trying to get Kennedy's attention there and interpret it in a way that fits into the context that he just endorsed Obama instead of her and make up your mind. But in the end one probably sees more in that picture than there really is.

Vincent Vega said:

Exactly, this picture isn't worth anything without the seconds before.
You see Clinton shaking hands with Kennedy, and Obama just turning away, and draw some conclusions you probably want to see. And this picture certainly can be interpreted in many ways.

You can also see Hillary trying to get Kennedy's attention there and interpret it in a way that fits into the context that he just endorsed Obama instead of her and make up your mind. But in the end one probably sees more in that picture than there really is.

:up:

I can't believe the mountain that is being made of this molehill.

:rolleyes:

And I'd say the same thing if it were Hillary "turning away" from Obama.

Come on, people.

Well, John McCain just crossed a big hurdle tonight: here are how the latest polls, all of them done before tonight stand for John McCain with super Tuesday coming up:

National Election:

NBC/WSJ 01/20 - 01/22

McCain VS. Clinton

McCain 46%
Clinton 44%

NBC/WSJ 01/20 - 01/22

McCain VS. Obama

McCain 42%
Obama 42%

National Republican Primary:

NBC/WSJ 01/20 - 01/22

McCain 29%
Huckabee 23%
Romney 20%
Giuliani 15%
Paul 4%

California Republican Primary:

SurveyUSA 01/27 - 01/27

McCain 37%
Romney 25%
Huckabee 14%
Giuliani 12%
Paul 4%

New York Republican Primary:

USA Today/GALLUP 01/23 - 01/26

McCain 40%
Giuliani 21%
Romney 17%
Huckabee 11%

New Jersey Republican Primary:

Quinnipiac 01/15 - 01/22

McCain 29%
Giuliani 26%
Romney 14%
Huckabee 9%
Thompson 9%
Paul 7%

Oklahoma Republican Primary:

SurveyUSA 01/27 - 01/27

McCain 37%
Huckabee 28%
Romney 19%
Giuliani 6%
Paul 6%

Illinois Republican Primary:

Research 2000 01/21 - 01/24

McCain 31%
Romney 20%
Giuliani 13%
Huckabee 11%

Connecticut Republican Primary:

Hartford Courant 01/09 - 01/17

McCain 39%
Giuliani 16%
Romney 11%
Huckabee 8%
Thompson 6%

Arizona Republican Primary:

Behavior Research Center 01/20 - 01/24

McCain 40%
Romney 23%
Huckabee 9%
Giuliani 7%
Paul 3%

Alabama Republican Primary:

Rasmussen 01/23 - 01/23

McCain 27%
Huckabee 27%
Romney 15%
Giuliani 8%
Paul 3%

Tennessee Republican Primary:

WSMV-TV 01/19 - 01/21

Thompson 25%
Huckabee 24%
McCain 12%
Romney 7%
Giuliani 2%
Paul 2%

Missouri Republican Primary:

Rasmussen 01/24 - 01/24

Huckabee 27%
McCain 26%
Romney 18%
Giuliani 7%
Paul 5%

Massachusetts Republican Primary:

SurveyUSA 01/22 - 01/23

Romney 50%
McCain 29%
Huckabee 7%
Giuliani 6%
Paul 3%

Georgia Republican Primary:

Rasmussen 01/22 - 01/22

Huckabee 34%
McCain 19%
Romney 16%
Paul 12%
Giuliani 11%

Colorado Republican Caucus:

Denver Post 01/21 - 01/23

Romney 43%
McCain 24%
Huckabee 17%
Paul 5%
Giuliani 4%

McCain has a double digit lead in 7 of the above 13 states, typically the ones with a large number delegates. He is also tied in two others, all of this prior to his victory in Florida. Now that Giuliani is going to endorse McCain, its clear that he is the front runner, and Romney will have to put his millions to work this week to try and stop McCains momentum. But running 10 times the number of TV adds could not give Romney the victory in a closed Republican primary. Giuliani is likely to bring a number of endorsements with him as well, including Arnold who may endorse McCain before Super Tuesday. When your worth as much as Romney is, your never really out of the race, but its likely that by Tuesday night, the Republicans may in fact have their nominee, while the Democrats may actually be the party that takes longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom