US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III - Page 31 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #451
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:57 AM
Well, Obama and Huckabee won in Iowa.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:52 AM   #452
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
When is the New Hampshire primary? I haven't heard anything about it.
5 days, homie.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:58 AM   #453
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:57 PM
Not sure, don't have their tax returns-but Mitt Romney might be wealthier than John Edwards. His house is pretty big and fancy too, in one of the wealthiest towns in MA. He might be slumming it going to the WH too God forbid.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #454
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:57 PM
So I don't usually come in here but I gotta say this somewhere.

I was a bit down yesterday, thinking that as much as I'd like a woman president, I don't really like Hillary as a person and I'm not sure about some of her policies. I really like Obama and it was making me sad to think that there's no way this country would ever elect a black man. My friend has been campaigning for Obama for a year now and he said that his hope is that he wins in Iowa and that inspires people like me, who don't want to waste their Democratic vote.

And by god, that's exactly what happened. I am totally on the Obama Bandwagon and they're going to have to shove me off. I hope I'm not the only one.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #455
The Fly

Local Time: 04:57 AM
Obama Edwards ticket would be great. I do like Richardson because he has created so many jobs here in New Mexico. These are jobs in the film industry, space, and technology. I'll be happy if he stays governor of New Mexico, since he is doing a great job here. At least this showed the media that Americans aren't sheep and stupid. I couldn't stand it when the media was saying for months that the election was already decided by them.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:10 PM   #456
Blue Crack Supplier

the rest of the world seems in on the Obamarama ... (okay, a bit of an exaggeration, but he's the best chance we have to repair our ability to wield softer power abroad):

[q]Hope returns: Obama’s victory and global politics

Damn, I love Americans. Just when you’ve written them off as hopeless, as a nation in decline, they turn around and do something extraordinary, which tells you why the United States of America is still the greatest nation on earth. But too, what is happening in America and Kenya holds lessons for politicians everywhere, and South Africa would do well to take heed.

Barack Obama’s strong lead in Iowa, nine points ahead of his closest Democratic rival, John Edwards, 10 points ahead of Hillary Clinton, shows we are entering a new world, one where the internet exposes every lie, where chat rooms allow unprecedented discussion, where blogs see commentary untrammelled by the dictates of powerful news corporations. In this world the electorate are no longer stupid, no longer cowed; we may be entering the era of the world’s most savvy voters yet.

In this new world where expression is truly free, where ideas will be the most important currency of the next decade and many of the greatest advances in any field will come from those under the age of 30, politics are undergoing a revolution.

Voters are demanding substance over style. They are showing that it’s not money or how smart a leader appears that counts, they want substance, they want heart, they want leaders who give a damn. After Barrack Obama delivered perhaps the most inspirational speech the US has heard since Martin Luther King or Robert Kennedy — four decades of empty rhetoric was broken by a man who talked of the power of “hope” — he stepped off the stage and the loudspeakers blared out the Motown hit, Here I am baby, signed, sealed, delivered, I’m yours!

And that’s what voters want — politicians that belong to them, not big business. They don’t want politicians who speak down to them like Thabo Mbeki or Hillary Clinton, they want people who speak with them, who understand the nuanced complexities of 21st century day-to-day life.[/q]
Old 01-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #457
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

Voters are demanding substance over style.
And yet style over substance is what I'm getting from Obama so I don't know what this writer and everyone else is seeing that I am missing. Lots of talk about hope and optimism, not a lot of specifics.

But yes, it was an exciting night for sure.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #458
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

And yet style over substance is what I'm getting from Obama so I don't know what this writer and everyone else is seeing that I am missing. Lots of talk about hope and optimism, not a lot of specifics.

But yes, it was an exciting night for sure.
Have you been to Obama's website yet? He actually lays out his plans for all the major issues there in quite a detailed fashion. I'm very impressed with it. He has smart, doable, change-making, solutions, if he's given the chance to put them into practice.

I just realized the tone of this response may have come off as rude, and that is the absolute opposite of my intention. I was just trying to direct to a place that might give you more of the information you've been looking for on Obama.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #459
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

Have you been to Obama's website yet? He actually lays out his plans for all the major issues there in quite a detailed fashion. I'm very impressed with it. He has smart, doable, change-making, solutions, if he's given the chance to put them into practice.

I just realized the tone of this response may have come off as rude, and that is the absolute opposite of my intention. I was just trying to direct to a place that might give you more of the information you've been looking for on Obama.
Didn't sound rude at all. And thanks, no I haven't been to his website. I'll do that for sure.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #460
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

Didn't sound rude at all. And thanks, no I haven't been to his website. I'll do that for sure.
Great! I know it's easy to misunderstand people's intentions on the Internet, so I wanted to make sure that didn't happen here.

Btw, his official website is www.barackobama.com
Old 01-04-2008, 11:13 PM   #461
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah, after the speeches last night I went to his and Hillary's sites - I liked his better.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:22 AM   #462
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

If Obama winds up being the nominee, I sure hope the media goes after him and his divisive church the same way they've been focusing on Huckabee and his religion.

But I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:52 AM   #463
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
If Obama winds up being the nominee, I sure hope the media goes after him and his divisive church the same way they've been focusing on Huckabee and his religion.

must be true

they had it on "fair and balanced" news channel

Quote:
On the December 19 edition of Fox News' Hannity & Colmes, co-host Sean Hannity said to his guest, right-wing pundit Ann Coulter: "You know, [Sen.] Barack Obama's [D-IL] pastor... has this whole list of the Black Value System. It seems like he's supporting a segregated church." Hannity then asserted that "[t]here's no questions about it, except here on this program," and, after stating that there has been "scrutiny" over the positions of Republican presidential candidates and former Govs. Mike Huckabee of Arkansas and Mitt Romney of Massachusetts, asked: "Why the double standard?" Coulter responded: "No, you're absolutely right, because everyone realizes that when the Democrats cite religion, it's a joke. So, you know, why ask them about it. It's -- you're just putting on a show for the voters."
Old 01-05-2008, 02:28 AM   #464
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

But I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:58 AM   #465
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:57 AM
There were a few articles about Obama's church and his pastor in the New York Times back when he announced his candidacy last year...but don't worry, if he wins the nomination I'm sure it will be made an issue of. Hannity's attempt to morally equate black liberation theology with white supremacist ideology was, of course, laughably disingenuous.

Considering Huckabee's own statements about taking back the country for Christ, his status as a minister and the fact that last night's exit polls indicated a majority of those who voted for him rated his religious views as 'Very Important' to them, it's hardly strange that the media has devoted considerable space to his religious beliefs. They may not matter as such to you (2861), but they certainly do to a hefty segment of his current and prospective supporters.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης