US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-31-2007, 04:27 PM   #361
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

Conservatives would not vote for Bloomberg

they would vote the GOP ticket.
edit to inform people why Bloomberg is very, very far from conservatives

He is considered a social liberal, who is pro-choice, in favor of legalizing same-sex marriage and an advocate for stricter gun control laws.

Quote:
In 2001, the incumbent mayor of New York, Rudy Giuliani, was ineligible for re-election, as the state limits the mayoralty to two terms. Several well-known New York City politicians aspired to succeed him. Bloomberg, a lifelong member of the Democratic Party, decided to run for mayor as a member of the Republican Party ticket.

Voting in the primary began on the morning of 11 September 2001. Later that day, because of the World Trade Center September 11, 2001 attacks, the primary was postponed. In the rescheduled primary, Bloomberg defeated Herman Badillo, a former Congressman, to become the Republican nominee. Meanwhile, the Democratic primary did not produce a first-round winner. After a runoff, the Democratic nomination went to New York City Public Advocate Mark J. Green.

In the general election, Bloomberg received Giuliani's endorsement. He also had a huge spending advantage. Although New York City's campaign finance law restricts the amount of contributions which a candidate can accept, Bloomberg chose not to use public campaign funds and therefore his campaign was not subject to these restrictions. He spent some $73 million of his own money on his campaign, outspending Green by five to one.[19] One of the major themes of his campaign was that, with the city's economy suffering from the effects of the World Trade Center attacks, it needed a mayor with business experience.

In addition to being the Republican nominee, Bloomberg had the ballot line of the controversial Independence Party, in which "Social Therapy" leaders Fred Newman and Lenora Fulani exert strong influence. Some say that endorsement was important, as Bloomberg's votes on that line exceeded his margin of victory over Green. (Under New York's fusion rules, a candidate can run on more than one party's line and combine all the votes received on all lines. Green, the Democrat, also had the ballot line of the Working Families Party. Bloomberg also created an independent line called Students First whose votes were combined with those on the Independence line). Another factor was the vote in Staten Island, which has traditionally been far friendlier to Republicans than the rest of the city. Bloomberg crushed Green in that borough, taking 75% of the vote there. Overall, Bloomberg won 50% to 48%.

Bloomberg's election marked the first time in New York City history that two different Republicans had been elected mayor consecutively. He is considered a social liberal, who is pro-choice, in favor of legalizing same-sex marriage and an advocate for stricter gun control laws.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:30 PM   #362
She's the One

Yeah, but you'd think (hope) that Dems would figure out the whole "independent, but really just a spoiler" thing and not vote for him, then.

eta: Especially after that idiot Nader and his idiot followers put Bush in the White House.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:38 PM   #363
Blue Crack Addict

The Dems are not the biggest problem

there is a large portion of the electorate that are independents or "decline to state" on their party affiliation

in a fairly evenly divided country - these voters are key

these are the voters that can swing either way and tip an election

in 08 they were expected to vote Democratic, this is what many of them did in 06

Bloomberg could be attractive to them, they could see it as no longer a choice between A or B

but a choice between A, B, or C

but C will not win
Old 12-31-2007, 04:46 PM   #364
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:49 PM
I'm sending Brother Bloomberg some diamondbucks to support him and Cindy McKinney too

dbs
Old 12-31-2007, 04:48 PM   #365
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 02:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Cindy McKinney too

dbs
Right. She's another one that could end up taking away votes from Hillary. If McKinney and/or Bloomberg and/or Paul run as independents, the Republicans might just pull this off.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:51 PM   #366
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:49 PM
Pretty sad if you have to depend on an independent to take away votes... But then again that's how you guys won back in 2000.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:52 PM   #367
Blue Crack Addict

There's always messing with voting machines and voter fraud
Old 12-31-2007, 04:57 PM   #368
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

The Republicans will still need all the votes they can get, though. I certainly wouldnt put it past the Clinton people to go around slashing some tires on election day.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:58 PM   #369
Blue Crack Addict

Actually I heard Hillary has put out hits on all non-Hillary voters. That's what shrews like her do.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:59 PM   #370
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2

Right. She's another one that could end up taking away votes from Hillary. If McKinney and/or Bloomberg and/or Paul run as independents, the Republicans might just pull this off.
Ron Paul is going to siphon votes away from Hillary? His constituency of immigration-hating, quasi-libertarian, anti-tax, pro-life, anti-governmental institutions in general, disenfranchised white men are suddenly going to see the light and vote for him when they would have originally voted for "it takes a village" Hillary?

What universe is this in?

Just because Paul is anti-war doesn't mean he'll get the left's votes.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:01 PM   #371
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
The Republicans will still need all the votes they can get, though. I certainly wouldnt put it past the Clinton people to go around slashing some tires on election day.
I saw you mention this earlier, is this something you heard Rush say?
Old 12-31-2007, 05:02 PM   #372
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

What universe is this in?
I often wonder the same thing...
Old 12-31-2007, 05:02 PM   #373
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Pretty sad if you have to depend on an independent to take away votes...
do you remember in 2004
how the GOP was funding and fighting to get Nader on as many state ballots as possible?

anyways, back to Bloomberg

I think he would put Florida safely in the GOP column

also he could effect Mass and NH. possibly Ohio and what does he do in NY

and as I said before
flip only a couple of states

and that is the whole ball game
Old 12-31-2007, 05:05 PM   #374
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Just because Paul is anti-war doesn't mean he'll get the left's votes.
Yes, that's true. But I think he would take more votes from the left than the right, though. I can't picture a whole lot of pro-war people voting for him even if they agree with everything else he says. I could be wrong.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:05 PM   #375
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
anyways, back to Bloomberg

I think he would put Florida safely in the GOP column

also he could effect Mass and NH. possibly Ohio and what does he do in NY

and as I said before
flip only a couple of states

and that is the whole ball game
I agree re: Florida, and Ohio is probably ugly. The rest, he'll siphon votes away but I don't think he'll actually effect a difference in result. The bigger issue than the end result in my view will be that the more states you put into play, the thinner you have to stretch your budget and suddenly you're fighting for real estate that should have been yours easily. That can have a lot of negative impact long term.