US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
MrsSpringsteen said:

Emotional breakdown? Not according to that description I posted. Your idol Mitt has been crying too, is that why his is over?

No, there are 2 different reasons.

Mitt's emotional struggle was due to a recollection of an event in his life that he recalled.

Hillary is crying because she is tanking in the polls.

Therein lies the difference.

dbs

Candidate has another teary moment
Says he's not ashamed of having emotions

By Michael Levenson, Boston Globe Staff | December 19, 2007

After his eyes filled with tears for the third time in as many weeks on the presidential campaign trail, Mitt Romney explained that, no, he is not immune to sadness and grief.

"I'm a normal person. I have emotions," Romney told reporters in New Hampshire. "I'm not ashamed of that at all."

And yet several former associates said yesterday they were struck by the sudden display of emotion from a man known more for crunching data and giving PowerPoint presentations.

"I never saw him mist up during the 2002 campaign," said Ben Coes, who managed that campaign for governor. "I was talking about it with my wife this morning. I think it shows a level of toughness and confidence to be able to talk about something that obviously touches you emotionally in front of an audience."

Romney first noteworthy misty-eyed moment of the campaign came at the end of his nationally televised speech on faith and politics earlier this month in Texas. As the invited crowd stood and applauded, the usually unflappable Republican paused, the emotion showing on his face. "God bless this great land, God bless the United States of America," he declared.

He showed unusual emotion again on Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press," when he recalled the moment in 1978 when he heard that the Mormon Church had ended its ban on full participation by black members.

"I heard it on the radio and I pulled over and literally wept," Romney said.

On Monday at a Londonderry, N.H., military contractor, Romney told a stock campaign story about watching the casket of a US soldier killed in Iraq come off the conveyor belt of a plane at Logan International Airport in Boston. The soldiers he was with saluted and passengers in the terminal paused and put their hands on their hearts, he said.

But then, as he added a new twist to the story, his eyes welled again. "I have five boys of my own," he said. "I imagined what it would be like to lose a son in a situation like that."

That moment prompted reporters to ask him whether he was showing a different side - and Romney to respond that he was just acting like anyone else.

Still, Samuel L. Popkin, a pollster who worked for the famously lip-biting Bill Clinton in 1992 and for the decidedly less demonstrative Al Gore in 2000, said such moments could help Romney loosen up his image.

Voters "want to know that what they're getting is real and not the sales pitch, and emotion is one way of knowing there's a real person and not just a plastic wind-up doll or a scripted person," Popkin said.

For Romney, "being too articulate and too handsome are real problems because both of those give the sense of total polish - like there's a veneer there where the real person should be," Popkin said.

Several prominent supporters, however, rejected any political calculation for the recent weepiness.

"For however perfect his hair is, he is a human being," said Adam D. Probolsky, a pollster who is chairman of Romney's campaign in Orange County, Calif.

And just because he gets misty, does not mean he is weak, the supporters said.

"When he's president and there's a natural disaster, I'm pretty darn sure that he ain't going to be breaking down into tears and looking for his blankie," Probolsky said. "He's going to be making things happen and getting things done. But when you're running for office you sometimes show more of who you are."

Representative Bradley H. Jones Jr., Republican leader in the Massachusetts House, said Romney is typically more restrained because of his background as a management consultant and private equity investor.

"Mitt Romney is an emotional guy," Jones said yesterday. "I think by upbringing and experience in the business world, you don't really show your emotions. There's almost a stoicism where you show your emotions inside your family and you don't let them out publicly."

diamond said:

No, there are 2 different reasons.

Mitt emotional struggle was due to a recollection of an event in his life that he recalled.

Hillary is crying because she is tanking in the polls.

Therein lies the difference.

dbs

Uh, OK. Sounds to me like she's just tired and stressed out.

I'm sure Mitt's emotions are perfect. You must be inside of both of their heads and hearts.

diamond said:

exactly.

not commander in chief material.

So Presidents never get tired and stressed out? Bullshit. How do you know how much Bush cries in private? If he doesn't get tired and stressed out then he is even less human than I thought.

diamond said:

exactly.

not commander in chief material.

dbs

you're right. it's much better when Presidents don't bother to sweat the thinking through their actions. that way, they never get stressed out or worried. God is on their side. isn't that enough?

Oh come on it's Diamond... His standards for Hillary are completely different than anyone else.

One action for Mitt makes him aggresive and strong, the same action would make Hillary a bitch...

One action for Bush would make his sensitive, the same action would make Hillary weak...

We should all know the formula by now.

Mitt's tears were for others.
Hillary's tears were for herself.

Also I do think it plausible that Hillary's tears are prolly crocidile tears before Mitt's.

dbs

diamond said:
muskie.gif

Surely you could come up with something better than Muskie. :lol:

I would've taken him over a cheat and a liar like Nixon, who was behind that fiasco, but I'm sure you prefer that as commander in chief material more.

Maybe I can bring out some of those quotes about Mitt saying he was pro-choice and pro-gay marriage a few years back. :hmm: What will it be then? God told him in a dream the holiest political stances?

diamond said:

Also I do think it plausible that Hillary's tears are prolly crocidile tears before Mitt's.

And I do think Mitt's not good enough to hold Hillary's shit in a shovel, but hey you know what they say about opinions and assholes.

Actually, I think Diamond might actually be Mitt Romney, guys.

Which would make his statements about Mitt, that appear like speculation, much more legitimate.

anitram said:

And I do think Mitt's not good enough to hold Hillary's shit in a shovel, but hey you know what they say about opinions and assholes.

that I evolved and you didn't.:sexywink:

dbs

diamond said:

that I evolved and you didn't.:sexywink:

Well you certainly need evolutionary intervention, but I'm not holding my breath.

Probably doesn't help Mrs. Clinton's mood when her hubby jokes that he can't make her "younger, taller, and male."

[q]Actually, I think Diamond might actually be Mitt Romney, guys.[/q]

no way. Diamond *is* sexy.

Mitt has all the sex appeal of a 1989 Dodge minivan with wood paneling.

Bluer White said:
Probably doesn't help Mrs. Clinton's mood when her hubby jokes that he can't make her "younger, taller, and male."

deep down, i do wonder if she hates Bill.

like, hates him.

i cannot fathom how complex their relationship must be.

Irvine511 said:

deep down, i do wonder if she hates Bill.

like, hates him.

i cannot fathom how complex their relationship must be.

of course she does.
i'm an expert on how all women think.

thank u,

dbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom