US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
deep said:

Conservatives would not vote for Bloomberg

they would vote the GOP ticket.

edit to inform people why Bloomberg is very, very far from conservatives

He is considered a social liberal, who is pro-choice, in favor of legalizing same-sex marriage and an advocate for stricter gun control laws.

In 2001, the incumbent mayor of New York, Rudy Giuliani, was ineligible for re-election, as the state limits the mayoralty to two terms. Several well-known New York City politicians aspired to succeed him. Bloomberg, a lifelong member of the Democratic Party, decided to run for mayor as a member of the Republican Party ticket.

Voting in the primary began on the morning of 11 September 2001. Later that day, because of the World Trade Center September 11, 2001 attacks, the primary was postponed. In the rescheduled primary, Bloomberg defeated Herman Badillo, a former Congressman, to become the Republican nominee. Meanwhile, the Democratic primary did not produce a first-round winner. After a runoff, the Democratic nomination went to New York City Public Advocate Mark J. Green.

In the general election, Bloomberg received Giuliani's endorsement. He also had a huge spending advantage. Although New York City's campaign finance law restricts the amount of contributions which a candidate can accept, Bloomberg chose not to use public campaign funds and therefore his campaign was not subject to these restrictions. He spent some $73 million of his own money on his campaign, outspending Green by five to one.[19] One of the major themes of his campaign was that, with the city's economy suffering from the effects of the World Trade Center attacks, it needed a mayor with business experience.

In addition to being the Republican nominee, Bloomberg had the ballot line of the controversial Independence Party, in which "Social Therapy" leaders Fred Newman and Lenora Fulani exert strong influence. Some say that endorsement was important, as Bloomberg's votes on that line exceeded his margin of victory over Green. (Under New York's fusion rules, a candidate can run on more than one party's line and combine all the votes received on all lines. Green, the Democrat, also had the ballot line of the Working Families Party. Bloomberg also created an independent line called Students First whose votes were combined with those on the Independence line). Another factor was the vote in Staten Island, which has traditionally been far friendlier to Republicans than the rest of the city. Bloomberg crushed Green in that borough, taking 75% of the vote there. Overall, Bloomberg won 50% to 48%.

Bloomberg's election marked the first time in New York City history that two different Republicans had been elected mayor consecutively. He is considered a social liberal, who is pro-choice, in favor of legalizing same-sex marriage and an advocate for stricter gun control laws.

Yeah, but you'd think (hope) that Dems would figure out the whole "independent, but really just a spoiler" thing and not vote for him, then.

eta: Especially after that idiot Nader and his idiot followers put Bush in the White House.

The Dems are not the biggest problem

there is a large portion of the electorate that are independents or "decline to state" on their party affiliation

in a fairly evenly divided country - these voters are key

these are the voters that can swing either way and tip an election

in 08 they were expected to vote Democratic, this is what many of them did in 06

Bloomberg could be attractive to them, they could see it as no longer a choice between A or B

but a choice between A, B, or C

but C will not win

diamond said:
Cindy McKinney too:D

dbs

Right. She's another one that could end up taking away votes from Hillary. If McKinney and/or Bloomberg and/or Paul run as independents, the Republicans might just pull this off.

The Republicans will still need all the votes they can get, though. I certainly wouldnt put it past the Clinton people to go around slashing some tires on election day.

2861U2 said:

Right. She's another one that could end up taking away votes from Hillary. If McKinney and/or Bloomberg and/or Paul run as independents, the Republicans might just pull this off.

Ron Paul is going to siphon votes away from Hillary? His constituency of immigration-hating, quasi-libertarian, anti-tax, pro-life, anti-governmental institutions in general, disenfranchised white men are suddenly going to see the light and vote for him when they would have originally voted for "it takes a village" Hillary?

What universe is this in?

Just because Paul is anti-war doesn't mean he'll get the left's votes.

2861U2 said:
The Republicans will still need all the votes they can get, though. I certainly wouldnt put it past the Clinton people to go around slashing some tires on election day.

I saw you mention this earlier, is this something you heard Rush say?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Pretty sad if you have to depend on an independent to take away votes...
do you remember in 2004
how the GOP was funding and fighting to get Nader on as many state ballots as possible?

anyways, back to Bloomberg

I think he would put Florida safely in the GOP column

also he could effect Mass and NH. possibly Ohio and what does he do in NY

and as I said before
flip only a couple of states

and that is the whole ball game

anitram said:

Just because Paul is anti-war doesn't mean he'll get the left's votes.

Yes, that's true. But I think he would take more votes from the left than the right, though. I can't picture a whole lot of pro-war people voting for him even if they agree with everything else he says. I could be wrong.

deep said:
anyways, back to Bloomberg

I think he would put Florida safely in the GOP column

also he could effect Mass and NH. possibly Ohio and what does he do in NY

and as I said before
flip only a couple of states

and that is the whole ball game

I agree re: Florida, and Ohio is probably ugly. The rest, he'll siphon votes away but I don't think he'll actually effect a difference in result. The bigger issue than the end result in my view will be that the more states you put into play, the thinner you have to stretch your budget and suddenly you're fighting for real estate that should have been yours easily. That can have a lot of negative impact long term.

2861U2 said:

Yes, that's true. But I think he would take more votes from the left than the right, though. I can't picture a whole lot of pro-war people voting for him even if they agree with everything else he says. I could be wrong.

But you can imagine Hillary voters voting for him?? Seriously, on what planet? He stands for virtually everything in 180 degree opposition to her platform.

2861U2 said:

I think they have a master plan to take out the GOP nominee

here is step one

Would-be Ford assassin freed from prison on parole

Sara Jane Moore released on parole from federal prison in California

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- One of the women who tried to assassinate President Ford 32 years ago was released on parole Monday from a federal prison in California

, according to a Bureau of Prisons spokesman.

Sara Jane Moore, 77, was released in the morning from the federal women's prison in Dublin, outside San Francisco

, according to Mike Truman of the Bureau of Prisons.

There was no immediate comment from the prison facility, where Moore had been Inmate No. 04851180. Officials said she had a recent parole hearing, but they did not know what prompted her release. - really?

Nor was it clear what her plans are or where she is headed. really?

In the general election, Bloomberg received Giuliani's endorsement.

He also had a huge spending advantage. Although New York City's campaign finance law restricts the amount of contributions which a candidate can accept, Bloomberg chose not to use public campaign funds and therefore his campaign was not subject to these restrictions.
He spent some $73 million of his own money on his campaign, outspending Green by five to one.

Bloomberg won 50% to 48%.

Rove = Guiliani

Guiliani = Bloomberg

Bloomberg = Rove master plan for GOP win

verte76 said:
We're just two days away from the Iowa caucuses.

True, and the primaries will go really fast this year

After Feb 5, we will most likely have our nominees.

2008 Presidential Primary/Caucus Calendar

JANUARY 2008
• January 3: Iowa
• January 5: Wyoming (R)
• January 8: New Hampshire
• January 15: Michigan
• January 19: Nevada, South Carolina (R)
• January 26: South Carolina (D)
• January 29: Florida

FEBRUARY 2008
• February 1: Maine (R)
• February 5: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho (D), Illinois, Kansas (D), Minnesota, Missouri, New Jersey, New Mexico (D), New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Utah
• February 9: Louisiana, Kansas (R)
• February 10: Maine (D)
• February 12: District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia
• February 19: Hawaii (D)*, Washington, Wisconsin

MARCH 2008
• March 4: Massachusetts, Ohio, Rhode Island, Texas, Vermont
• March 8: Wyoming (D)
• March 11: Mississippi

sorry, here is the rest

APRIL 2008
• April 22: Pennsylvania

MAY 2008
• May 6: Indiana, North Carolina
• May 13: Nebraska, West Virginia
• May 20: Kentucky, Oregon
• May 27: Idaho (R)

JUNE 2008
• June 3: Montana, New Mexico (R), South Dakota

*Hawaii’s Republican Party is not technically holding a presidential primary or caucus. Delegates will be selected during a week-long period tentatively ending on February 7, but they will not be committed to any candidates as part of the vote.

http://www.rockthevote.com/2008-presidential-primary-caucus-calendar.php

deep said:

Bloomberg has been a life long Democrat
and
he is Jewish

he only went GOP because he could not get the Dem nomination for Mayor

Sounds almost like Joe Lieberman's blueprint for success for the CT Senate seat. Rudy also held a lot of the same "liberal" positions as Bloomberg in the past as mayor.

Democratic Presidential candidate and Ohio Congressman Dennis Kucinich opened the New Year by publicly asking his Iowa supporters to vote for him in the caucuses this Thursday, and suggesting that if he did not make the 15% threshold, their second ballot should be for Senator Barack Obama.

I was starting to worry a bit about Obama because he had some sketchy poll results in the last week or so. Definitely wasn't going great. But this morning's poll is fantastic, and although Kucinich isn't polling well in Iowa, it's something.

2861U2 said:

Ah yes, the good ole VLWC.

I wouldn't put it past your crowd to bomb a few buildings and blame it on the Moslems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom