US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part Catorce! - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2008, 05:32 PM   #106
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
I did, though I was 12 and lacked the cynicism of today's PF26.
I've seen you say things like that before, talking about how you felt politically when you were younger, and I'm just curious...

(and please don't take this the wrong way- this isn't meant to sound condescending or rude, I'm just curious)

Did you really pay attention to current political affairs and know what was going on in the world when you were only 12? I say that because my sister is 14 and she's starting to get interested in politics, and it's hard to imagine someone 2 years younger than her paying attention to the invasion in 2003. I was only 15 at the time, and I barely understood what was going on.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:55 PM   #107
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
it's funny, because i debunked and destroyed STING's version of 1441. years ago. i can dig up the thread, but what good does it do?
I wouldn't mind reading it again. Just to cheer me up.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:00 PM   #108
She's the One

Local Time: 08:08 AM
Quote:
it's funny, because i debunked and destroyed STING's version of 1441. years ago. i can dig up the thread, but what good does it do?
It'll make some of us chuckle.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:01 PM   #109
She's the One

Local Time: 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow
Removing Saddam was an absolute necessity, and the need to stay and rebuild Iraq to prevent it from becoming a threat again is just as necessary as the same operation going on in Afghanistan.
What did you do to support this? Other than post statistics, I mean.

Or are your feet flat?
Old 01-31-2008, 06:30 PM   #110
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by 2861U2
I've seen you say things like that before, talking about how you felt politically when you were younger, and I'm just curious...

(and please don't take this the wrong way- this isn't meant to sound condescending or rude, I'm just curious)

Did you really pay attention to current political affairs and know what was going on in the world when you were only 12? I say that because my sister is 14 and she's starting to get interested in politics, and it's hard to imagine someone 2 years younger than her paying attention to the invasion in 2003. I was only 15 at the time, and I barely understood what was going on.
It's an interesting question.

I believe that I paid attention to political affairs and politics, though not nearly as thoroughly as today, at age 12. I think the difference is that at that age I didn't really grasp the concept of flaws in government, and that not everything done is full-proof. For example, I supported the death penalty at that time because I believed that there were scumbags out there who deserved the worst. Now, I believe it doesn't make sense because the system isn't meant to be full-proof and, even if it tried to, never could be. I think the changes that occured were more about ways of viewing the world than how much I paid attention. I certainly think I pay more attention now, but I think even then I paid more attention than most at that age do.

I mean, as a 12 year old, I heard from President Bush that Saddam had WMDs, they had proof, and that he needed to be stopped. My understanding was that the UN hadn't approved it and was still investigating, but President Bush was bravely going out on a limb to do what was really right. My understanding was that there were pockets of resistance, but I didn't understand why anyone would want to keep us from protecting ourselves from Saddam.

I do remember thinking to myself, "Why Iraq, though? I thought Afghanistan was the home of the bad guys." I always felt like we went harder after Iraq than Afghanistan, even though Afghanistan was a more important target.

Even at age 13, during the 2004 elections, I was on the pro-Bush side in history class debates about the election. I don't remember what my arguments were, but I remember being a leader in the pack, one of the most talkative Bush supporters.

The first time it hit me that I might have been wrong the whole time was sometime in mid-2005. For some reason, this is coming to my head right at this moment: I was sitting in my bedroom listening to the radio, and they were just listing off statistic after statistic that showed us failing to achieve anything in Iraq. I essentially walked out of my room thinking, "I still like Bush, but I could've been wrong about this war."

By late 2006 I was independent and by this past summer I was liberal.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:40 PM   #111
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by martha

It'll make some of us chuckle.

i keep chuckling at the equivocation between a) throwing Saddam out of Kuwait, and b) invading Iraq, overthrowing Saddam, dismantling the government, and trying to build a new government all while not planning for *anything*.

but i guess you have to make such leaps in logic for anything to make sense.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:42 PM   #112
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
i keep chuckling at the equivocation between a) throwing Saddam out of Kuwait, and b) invading Iraq, overthrowing Saddam, dismantling the government, and trying to build a new government all while not planning for *anything*.

but i guess you have to make such leaps in logic for anything to make sense.
Your chuckling reminds me of the Gulf War and Resolution 1441.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:59 PM   #113
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Statistics bear that out. Chuckling in response to UN resolutions has risen sharply in recent times, from 14 to 41%.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:25 PM   #114
Blue Crack Supplier

Maybe U2's new numbers-based album will be called "1441."
Old 01-31-2008, 07:32 PM   #115
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
Maybe U2's new numbers-based album will be called "1441."

if it's named that, then there will definitely be NO MERCY!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 07:33 PM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:08 PM
They still haven't found what they're looking for.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:35 PM   #117
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:08 PM
Oh y'all are so punny
Old 01-31-2008, 10:34 PM   #118
Refugee

Local Time: 04:08 PM
Quote:
Well, Colin Powell, John McCain, two prominent members from the left leaning Brookings Institution Michael O'Halon and Ken Pollack(who was the expert in Bill Clintons administration on Iraq) all agree that 1441 did authorize use of military force to invade Iraq. No one has debunked their views and I would be more than happy to discuss the issue in detail again.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:50 PM   #119
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

What? You'd be more than happy to discuss Resolution 1441??

Who are you, and what did you do with the real Sting?

Old 01-31-2008, 10:51 PM   #120
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow
I would be more than happy to discuss the issue in detail again.
I can only speak for myself but I'm more than happy to concede this point to you just so we can NEVER ever talk about it again. Ever.