US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part Catorce! - Page 57 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2008, 02:16 AM   #841
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:11 PM
Wonder if the following will haunt Obama if it gets out before the Ohio primary:

Obama staffer gave warning of NAFTA rhetoric
Updated Wed. Feb. 27 2008 11:45 PM ET

Barack Obama has ratcheted up his attacks on NAFTA, but a senior member of his campaign team told a Canadian official not to take his criticisms seriously, CTV News has learned.

Both Obama and Hillary Clinton have been critical of the long-standing North American Free Trade Agreement over the course of the Democratic primaries, saying that the deal has cost U.S. workers' jobs.

Within the last month, a top staff member for Obama's campaign telephoned Michael Wilson, Canada's ambassador to the United States, and warned him that Obama would speak out against NAFTA, according to Canadian sources.

The staff member reassured Wilson that the criticisms would only be campaign rhetoric, and should not be taken at face value.

But Tuesday night in Ohio, where NAFTA is blamed for massive job losses, Obama said he would tell Canada and Mexico "that we will opt out unless we renegotiate the core labour and environmental standards."

Late Wednesday, a spokesperson for the Obama campaign said the staff member's warning to Wilson sounded implausible, but did not deny that contact had been made.

"Senator Obama does not make promises he doesn't intend to keep," the spokesperson said.

Low-level sources also suggested the Clinton campaign may have given a similar warning to Ottawa, but a Clinton spokesperson flatly denied the claim.

During Tuesday's debate, she said that as president she would opt out of NAFTA "unless we renegotiate it."

Old 02-28-2008, 02:21 AM   #842
An Angel In Devil's Shoes

Local Time: 06:11 PM
so now it appears i won't get to vote in the primary at all.
i went down to early vote today.
apparently the computer already thinks i've moved out of the county.
i updated my drivers license with my parents address since i'm moving out of the country in a few days.
yay me for trying to think ahead.
if i want to vote in the primary i'd have to drive 600 miles to the county where my parents live.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:44 AM   #843
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead
Wonder if the following will haunt Obama if it gets out before the Ohio primary:

Obama staffer gave warning of NAFTA rhetoric
Updated Wed. Feb. 27 2008 11:45 PM ET

Barack Obama has ratcheted up his attacks on NAFTA, but a senior member of his campaign team told a Canadian official not to take his criticisms seriously, CTV News has learned.

Both Obama and Hillary Clinton have been critical of the long-standing North American Free Trade Agreement over the course of the Democratic primaries, saying that the deal has cost U.S. workers' jobs.

Within the last month, a top staff member for Obama's campaign telephoned Michael Wilson, Canada's ambassador to the United States, and warned him that Obama would speak out against NAFTA, according to Canadian sources.

The staff member reassured Wilson that the criticisms would only be campaign rhetoric, and should not be taken at face value.

But Tuesday night in Ohio, where NAFTA is blamed for massive job losses, Obama said he would tell Canada and Mexico "that we will opt out unless we renegotiate the core labour and environmental standards."

Late Wednesday, a spokesperson for the Obama campaign said the staff member's warning to Wilson sounded implausible, but did not deny that contact had been made.

"Senator Obama does not make promises he doesn't intend to keep," the spokesperson said.

Low-level sources also suggested the Clinton campaign may have given a similar warning to Ottawa, but a Clinton spokesperson flatly denied the claim.

During Tuesday's debate, she said that as president she would opt out of NAFTA "unless we renegotiate it."
This story sounds incredibly suspicious to me. There's just something about it that does not seem credible at all. It reads more like it should be in The National Enquirer than a reputable news paper. And yes, if this article was about Clinton, even McCain, I would think the same thing.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:17 AM   #844
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest

This story sounds incredibly suspicious to me. There's just something about it that does not seem credible at all. It reads more like it should be in The National Enquirer than a reputable news paper. And yes, if this article was about Clinton, even McCain, I would think the same thing.
at the comparison of CTV to the National Enquirer. It was actually one of the top stories on CTV, the most watched Canadian news broadcast. Pretty reliable, not comparable to Fox but it's not quite the CBC either

It's at CTV.CA if you want to check it out.
Old 02-28-2008, 08:23 AM   #845
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by ABEL
i updated my drivers license with my parents address since i'm moving out of the country in a few days.
if i want to vote in the primary i'd have to drive 600 miles to the county where my parents live.
Can you vote absentee? Or is it too late to request the ballot?
Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 AM   #846
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead

at the comparison of CTV to the National Enquirer. It was actually one of the top stories on CTV, the most watched Canadian news broadcast. Pretty reliable, not comparable to Fox but it's not quite the CBC either

It's at CTV.CA if you want to check it out.
Oh, I realize it wasn't actually from a tabloid-like source, but the tone of the article reads much more like an Enquirer story than a professional piece of journalism that should be coming from an national news broadcast like CTV. I didn't actually think that CTV was a tabloid paper. Sorry, I should have been more clear!
Old 02-28-2008, 12:14 PM   #847

Quote:
Originally posted by onebloodonelife

Can you vote absentee? Or is it too late to request the ballot?
too late unfortunately. deadline was last tuesday.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #848
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

too late unfortunately. deadline was last tuesday.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #849
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 04:11 PM
Quote:

Well, you can't blame the computer when you changed your address on your driver's license and re-registered to vote in another county.

You should just go permanent absentee since you'll be out of the country full time.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:17 PM   #850
Blue Crack Addict

A new interview with Bruce Springsteen includes some of his thoughts on Obama:

Quote:
In the current presidential race, "there are two really good Democratic candidates for president. I admire and respect them both enough to wait and see what happens." But while he won't endorse Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama yet, he specifically praises the latter, who cited Springsteen as the person he would most like to meet in a recent interview with People.

"I always look at my work as trying to measure the distance between American promise and American reality," Springsteen says. "And I think (Obama's) inspired a lot of people with that idea: How do you make that distance shorter? How do we create a more humane society? We've lived through such ugly times that people want to have a romance with the idea of America again, and I think they need to.

"The hard realities and how things get done are important, too, but if you can effectively convince people that it's possible to make things better, they get excited."
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...ingsteen_N.htm
Old 02-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #851

Quote:
Originally posted by Bono's American Wife

Well, you can't blame the computer when you changed your address on your driver's license and re-registered to vote in another county.

You should just go permanent absentee since you'll be out of the country full time.
i can blame the computer (or human error) when:
- new voter registration card never arrived.
- county elections website still has my listed as being registered in dallas and tells me what precinct to vote at.

and yes i will be voting absentee in the november election
Old 02-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #852
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
A new interview with Bruce Springsteen includes some of his thoughts on Obama:
http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/n...ingsteen_N.htm
I read that in People, that Senator Obama most wanted to meet Bruce because he "seems like a genuinely good person". Can't get much better than that.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #853
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:11 AM
That seals the deal for you, doesn't it
Old 02-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #854
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
That seals the deal for you, doesn't it

Well I've already voted last month but I will support the Democratic nominee regardless. Bruce for VP

Sen Obama dances again on Ellen-if you can call that dancing

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/0...i_n_88954.html
Old 02-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #855
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:11 AM
He's still a heck of a lot better than I am at dancing