US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part Catorce! - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2008, 11:00 PM   #61
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26

So, we threaten military service to one group of people (young) to get another group of people (adults) to pay more attention to politics?

I think it's great that you want people to pay more attention, and I agree with that sentiment, but that's horrible, horrible logic. In fact, downright scary logic.
Isn't that why people have children though? So they can use 'em as pawns/live through them.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:07 PM   #62
Refugee

Local Time: 11:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
John McCain is John Kerry. no question. the Republicans looked around at the rest of the freak show running for president, and decided he was the *only* electable candidate.
The fact that John McCain is the most electable Republican candidate does not make him John Kerry. Its the Democrats(including many in this forum) who always bitch and wine that if they had picked one of the other Dem candidates they would have won in 2004.

John Kerry served in Vietnam, but since then, his questionable activities after the war, and his weakness on Foreign Policy and National Security issues made him a weak candidate and it stands in stark contrast to John McCain's career and strengths in Foreign Policy and National security.

Quote:
McCain's success has less to do with his own heretofore disastrous campaign and more to do with the imploding of Giuliani, the rise of Huckabee, and the shocking plasticity of Romney.
Its what people say in just about every campaign when someone they counted out rises to the top forcing them to eat their words. McCain was already rising well before the Primaries.

Quote:
he won Florida by appealing to anti-Bush GOP moderates. hardly a victory for the Republican party itself, as the infrastructure -- from Limbaugh to Malkin to Coulter to Hannity -- all despise the man.
Although it may disapoint you to hear this, most Republicans don't actually listen to Limbaugh and Coulter. McCain won left leaning Republicans, moderates, and pulled even with the conservative base of the Republican party to win by a margin of 5 points even though there were 5 candidates on the ballot. A cross section of Republican leaders and figures from General Norman Schwarzkopf, Florida Senator Mel Martinez, and Florida Governer Charlie Crist who had already voted weeks earlier for McCain, endorsed McCain. McCain got votes from every part of the Republican party that night and if the margin of victory had been any higher, it would have been percieved as a blowout considering that there were 5 candidates people could vote for.

Quote:
the war in Iraq has helped McCain only insofar as he has distanced himself from the obvious disaster of pretty much everything, pre-"surge." he's spent countless speeches bashing Rumsfeld and Cheney, stopping just short of bashing Bush. he's had to do this. it was the only way to have any sort of credibility with anybody beyond the Republican base.
McCain has NEVER distanced himself from the most fundamental and vital aspects of the Iraq war to include the decision to invade and remove Saddam from power and to keep US military and civilian personal engaged in Iraq to insure it is rebuilt and does not descend into a chaotic situation where Al Quada could form a new base or Iran could take intolerable advantage of the situation. Bush, McCain, Colin Powell, and many active and retired military, pentagon and State Department personal are all in agreement on those strategic issues. Where the differences come up are tactics and specific decisions on particular issues. Like Bush, Powell and Rumsfeld, McCain still supports the decision to remove Saddam from power and stay as long as required to effectively rebuild Iraq into a stable country, just as the United States is currently doing in Kosovo, Bosnia and Afghanistan. The vast majority of Republicans support the war and do not want to rapidly withdraw as Hillary, Barack and Edwards have recently proposed doing.

More importantly, McCain has probably been the most visible person opposing the new 2006 Democratic congress's efforts to withdraw all US combat forces from Iraq in less than a year. Just look at the publics opinion of John McCain to the publics opinion of the new Democratic Congress to see who is winning that debate. The Democrats have failed in all their efforts and many of them spent the last quarter of 2007 admitting that the surge plan was succeeding despite declaring that the begining of the year that it would either fail or make things worse. It even forced the top Democratic candidates to briefly say they could not promise that US troops would be out of Iraq by 2013. As we move further into 2008, the Democratic Congress has its tail tucked firmly between its legs on the Iraq war.

Quote:
but, ironically, the "success" of the "surge" -- insofar as it creates the perception of progress for the next few months -- will put Iraq out of everyone's mind, especially as the US economy continues to crumble. and, thus, McCain will find it most difficult to speak to the base of either party.
McCain was already thought of as a formidable candidate in the national election back in 2000 when the United States was not involved in a major war. Its true that the unusually rapid and increasing level of success in Iraq could make it less of an issue, but that won't necessarily benefit the Democrats as the war in Iraq is still far from over, and there are and will be more national security issues, and McCain has shown himself to be an expert who has been right on these issues time and again while his opponents in the Democratic Party have either been wrong, don't understand the issue, or change their position depending on where the political winds are blowing.

Quote:
it will be a battle for the middle, and watch for McCain to swing back to the middle after pandering for the next few weeks.
McCain still has not won the nomination yet, but he now has more momentum than he has ever had before and does have a chance to essentially knock Romney out of the race this Tuesday. There is no other candidate running who has as long and successful a history of working with the opposite party and getting members on the otherside to support his policies than McCain. That bodes well for the national election that will be hard to win for the Republicans, but is certainly possible and at this time will definitely not be a situation where the Republicans get blown out as so many here including yourself have claimed.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:10 PM   #63
She's the One

Local Time: 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow

Although it may disapoint you to hear this, most Republicans don't actually listen to Limbaugh and Coulter.
Then who the fuck is making these people rich?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:27 PM   #64
Refugee

Quote:
some good insight here ...

But much of what's happened to make McCain the presumptive nominee has been luck, pure and simple. He was lucky, to begin with, that George W. Bush lacked an heir apparent – no Jeb, no Condi, no Dick Cheney – who could unite the movement establishment against him. He was lucky that Mitt Romney was a Mormon. He was lucky that Fred Thompson, a candidate who might have succeeded in rallying both social and economic conservatives against his various heresies, was out-campaigned by Mike Huckabee, whose appeal was ultimately too sectarian to make him a threat. He was lucky that Rudy Giuliani ran an inutterably lousy campaign. (More on this anon.) He was lucky that Mike Huckabee won Iowa; lucky that the media basically treated that win as a McCain victory (though obviously his skill in cultivating the press made a big difference, in that case and many others); lucky, as David Freddoso suggests, that Huckabee decided to campaign in New Hampshire and (taking my foolish advice) Michigan instead of going straight to South Carolina; lucky that Giuliani decided not to campaign in New Hampshire after Christmas; and lucky, finally, that Fred Thompson decided to go all in against Huckabee in South Carolina, thus delivering McCain the Palmetto State and with it Florida. And he was lucky, above all, that his strongest challenger was a guy that almost nobody liked – not the media, not his fellow candidates, and not enough of the voters, in the end.

http://rossdouthat.theatlantic.com/a...s_favorite.php

[/q]

but, hey, if luck had to strike one of the Republicans, i'm glad it was McCain.
Reminds me of all the Democrats who tried to explain why they were so wrong about the results of the 1991 Gulf War that they opposed. 2008 may be a year filled with many reports of "luck" and other types of excuses for success's that some pundits claimed would never happen.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #65
Refugee

Quote:
and as Nader fules his egomanical fantasies and tries to remake the world in his own image, we are approaching 4,000 dead Americans in Iraq.

way to fucking go, Ralph. you helped elect a guy who's killed far, far more people than you saved making cars safer.
Is that how you also feel about the nearly 500 Americans that have died serving in Afghanistan, that "Bush killed them"?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #66
Refugee

Local Time: 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Which may finally shut people up about how wonderful all these wars are.

Including all the draft-age young men who post in here.
Hey, hey, hey. How can you not support the men and women in uniform? They all want to win, let them win. You are very unpatriotic to go against the men and women who are dying for us.

Besides, if they weren't in war for us. Saddam Hussein definitely would have given one of his nukes to Osama bin Laden, and we would have had another 9/11. Thank god our troops knocked him over.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:44 PM   #67
Refugee

Quote:

Then who the fuck is making these people rich?
There are a lot of different people in the Republican party, a big tent indeed. Room enough for Rush and others to make money off of certain segments.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:51 PM   #68
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Infinitum98

Hey, hey, hey. How can you not support the men and women in uniform? They all want to win, let them win. You are very unpatriotic to go against the men and women who are dying for us.

Besides, if they weren't in war for us. Saddam Hussein definitely would have given one of his nukes to Osama bin Laden, and we would have had another 9/11. Thank god our troops knocked him over.

Can you please quote me where I said I don't support people in uniform. Jesus, you are so thick sometimes.

Where did I "go against" them?

And how come you're not over there "knocking Saddam over" then? I thought you were anti-war. Isn't that why you worship that idiot Ron Paul?
Old 01-30-2008, 11:59 PM   #69
Refugee

Quote:

Can you please quote me where I said I don't support people in uniform. Jesus, you are so thick sometimes.

Where did I "go against" them?

And how come you're not over there "knocking Saddam over" then? I thought you were anti-war. Isn't that why you worship that idiot Ron Paul?
I'm guessing you didn't sense the sarcasm in my post.

You know I support Ron Paul (who in my opinion is not an idiot), so did you really think I was serious in my post?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:00 AM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:35 AM
Saddam had a nuke? And he was going to give it to Osama? How romantic.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:01 AM   #71
She's the One

Quote:

You know I support Ron Paul (who in my opinion is not an idiot), so did you really think I was serious in my post?
It occurred to me that you might have been joking, but at times you can make assumptions that don't make sense. And you have been known to be inconsistent in your opinions.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:02 AM   #72
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
Saddam had a nuke? And he was going to give it to Osama? How romantic.
Yea, he was. They are both Muslim, and both are anti-U.S., hence they must be involved together in 9/11, right?
Old 01-31-2008, 12:04 AM   #73
Refugee

Quote:

It occurred to me that you might have been joking, but at times you can make assumptions that don't make sense. And you have been known to be inconsistent in your opinions.
I've never ever been inconsistent with my opinion on Iraq and non-interventionalism.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:33 AM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Strongbow
That bodes well for the national election that will be hard to win for the Republicans, but is certainly possible and at this time will definitely not be a situation where the Republicans get blown out as so many here including yourself have claimed.
I would even dare to say that if it ends up being McCain vs. Hillary (or better yet, McCain vs. Hillary vs. Nader) that the Republicans would actually be the favorite.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:27 AM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:35 AM
Quote:

The video where Ron Paul expressed his views about evolution showed him being an idiot.