US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part Catorce!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
martha said:
If I could get up out my rocking chair, your butt would be kicked.

A month & 1/2 months ago the 22 year old co-worker in my office was asking me who was still running for President.
Earlier this week she was saying she hoped Hillary wins the nomination because she'll be easy to beat.
When I ask her what she has read or researched to formed this opinon, she said, oh nothing it's "just because she's a bitch."
She has no clue.. but someone got to her and gave her an opinion and this is what she will cast her vote on.. at this point.

I wanted to whip and slap her..

It's just she and I in this office.. I have a few more questions for her over the next few months..
she may just learn to think for herself.. :evil:

Finally people are starting to call Hillary out on this 35 years of experience nonsense!

Hillary Clinton had no direct role in bringing peace to Northern Ireland and is a "wee bit silly" for exaggerating the part she played, according to Lord Trimble of Lisnagarvey, the Nobel Peace Prize winner and former First Minister of the province.

"I don’t know there was much she did apart from accompanying Bill [Clinton] going around," he said. Her recent statements about being deeply involved were merely "the sort of thing people put in their canvassing leaflets" during elections. "She visited when things werehappening, saw what was going on, she can certainly say it was part of her experience. I don’t want to rain on the thing for her, but being a cheerleader for something is slightly different from being a principal player."

Central to Mrs Clinton’s claim of an important Northern Ireland role is a meeting she attended in Belfast in with a group of women from cross-community groups. "I actually went to Northern Ireland more than my husband did," she said in Nashua, New Hampshire on January 6th.

"I remember a meeting that I pulled together in Belfast, in the town hall there, bringing together for the first time Catholics and Protestants from both traditions, having them sitting a room where they had never been before with each other because they don’t go to school together, they don’t live together and it was only in large measure because I really asked them to come that they were there.

... There is no record of a meeting at Belfast City Hall, though Mrs Clinton attended a ceremony there when her husband turned on the Christmas tree lights in November 1995. The former First Lady appears to be referring a 50-minute event the same day, arranged by the US Consulate, the same day at the Lamp Lighter Café on the city’s Ormeau Road.

The Belfast Telegraph reported the next day that the café meeting was crammed with reporters, cameramen and Secret Service agents. Conversation "seemed a little bit stilted, a little prepared at times" and Mrs Clinton admired a stainless steel tea pot, which was duly given to her, for keeping the brew "so nice and hot".

Last edited:
sue4u2 said:
Ok..I'll have to get back to you on that..
but.. the telegraph is not exactly..
never mind. I'm tired and will look into it tomorrow because, I'm curious that way.

Are you implying they doctored the quotes?

You can also head on over to The Chicago Tribune if you're that suspicious.

More people are picking up the Hillary/Northern Ireland ridiculousness. This time it is the Associated Press.

Clinton traveled to Northern Ireland five times as first lady, and was a tireless advocate for the peace process. But she was not directly involved in negotiating the Good Friday peace accord.

"The road to peace was carefully documented, and she wasn't on it," says Brian Feeney, an author and former leading Belfast politician.

Talk about padding the resume. It's also a little lame that it's the foreign press that has to be doing some investigative journalism here.

Obama layeth the smackdown in Wyoming. :rockon:

Current delegate count:

Obama - 1,578
Clinton - 1,467

GOP congressman says terrorists would celebrate Obama win
Posted: 04:30 PM ET

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — An Iowa Republican congressman said Friday that terrorists would be "dancing in the streets" if Democratic candidate Barack Obama were to win the presidency.

Rep. Steve King based his prediction on Obama's pledge to pull troops out of Iraq, his Kenyan heritage and his middle name, Hussein.

"The radical Islamists, the al-Qaida … would be dancing in the streets in greater numbers than they did on Sept. 11 because they would declare victory in this war on terror," King said in an interview with the Daily Reporter in Spencer.

King said his comments were not meant to demean Obama but to warn how an Obama presidency would look to the world.

"His middle name does matter," King said. "It matters because they read a meaning into that.

In criticizing King, Obama spokesman Tommy Vietor said, "These comments have no place in our politics." He called on John McCain, the apparent Republican nominee, to "repudiate them like he has previous offensive comments from his supporters."

Last month, McCain denounced an introduction from Cincinnati talk-show host Bill Cunningham, who referred to Obama three times as "Barack Hussein Obama."

UPDATE: CNN's Deirde Walsh reports that Brandon Lerch, a spokesman for Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa), says the congressman stands by the comments.

Wow, it is pathetic that the neo-cons have to give reasons like "His middle name is Hussein" in order to argue that Barack would make a bad President. So is this guy saying that if McCain's name was Hussein he wouldn't support him? I would love to hear his answer to that question.

As I was waiting in line to pay for groceries yesterday, I saw the National Enquirer's cover story was on Barack Obama. They had the supposed dish on "His Close Friendship with a Terrorist" among other things.

It's depressing that Steve King holds elective office.

http://www.newsweek.com/id/119953?GT1=43001

Sen. Hillary Clinton's primary victories in Texas, Ohio and Rhode Island have revived her near-dead campaign and brought her into a statistical dead heat with Sen. Barack Obama among registered Democrats and Democratic leaners, according to a new national NEWSWEEK Poll. The survey found that Clinton has erased the once-commanding lead that Obama held in most national polls following his 11 straight victories in February's primaries and caucuses. Obama is the favored nominee among 45 percent of Democrats, compared with 44 percent for Clinton, according to the poll, which was based on telephone interviews with 1,215 registered voters March 5-6.

The poll also found that Democratic voters are ready to rally around the candidate they trust most to improve the economy, amid fears of a recession. But neither candidate has been able to lock up that issue, or many others, and the vast majority (69 percent) of Democratic voters now support the idea of a "dream ticket"--leaving aside the crucial question of who runs on top.

Clinton continues to draw many black voters, who sometimes have to defend their choice.

"She has the most experience," said Elexis Griffin, a black worker at a law office who attended a Clinton fundraiser in Canton, Ohio. "Obama has only been in the Senate three years. I'm not anti-Barack. I'm just pro-Hillary."

Griffin, who is 25 and considering law school, said, "I sit here almost every single day and hear debating: Hillary or Obama? My closest friends, I have very much influenced their vote for Hillary. They accuse me of being against the social movement. And I accuse them of voting with their emotions and not looking at the facts."

Obama's Black Support Shows Its Limits

this could be the best solution

Fla. Mail-In Primary Plan Gains Traction

By JOHN DUNBAR – 5 hours ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — A consensus began to emerge Sunday that the best way to give Florida's Democrats a voice in electing a candidate for president lies with the U.S. Postal Service.

The Democratic National Committee stripped Florida and Michigan of all their convention delegates — a total of 313 — for holding their primaries too early, making both contests meaningless. New York Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton won both states, but no delegates. Her rival, Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, did not appear on Michigan's ballot.

But the disqualification of Florida and Michigan has created a headache for the Democratic party due to the unexpected closeness of the race between Obama and Clinton. Officials from both states are trying to figure out how best to resolve the issue before the national convention in August.

DNC Chairman Howard Dean said a mail-in primary is "actually a very good process."

"Every voter gets a ballot in the mail," the former Vermont governor said on CBS's "Face the Nation." "It's comprehensive, you get to vote if you're in Iraq or in a nursing home. It's not a bad way to do this."

As for who pays, Dean said, "That is a problem," reiterating that the party needs its money for the general election campaign against Republican John McCain.

He also ruled out the state of Florida, where Republican Gov. Charlie Crist has nixed the idea. Dean suggested the state Democratic party might foot the bill. Florida's political parties, unlike the DNC, can accept unlimited contributions.

Sen. Bill Nelson, D-Fla., supports the mail-in solution, comparing it to an absentee ballot process. He also pinned his hopes on the state party to pay for it.

"Since Governor Dean has said he's not going to do it in the DNC, the Florida Democratic Party's going to have to go out and raise the money," he said. "We're looking at about $6 million."

Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., appeared to be amenable to a mail-in solution for his state, though with less enthusiasm.

Speaking on ABC's "This Week," Levin said doing the election again would be against state law. "That can't be changed, and that can't be paid for," he said. Levin also said caucuses would be difficult, with 500 potential sites.

"The one possibility would be some kind of a mail-in caucus," he said. "But there's some real problems with that, too. Not just cost, but the security issue. How do you make sure that hundreds of thousands, perhaps a million or more ballots can be properly counted and that duplicate ballots can be avoided?"

Obama currently has more delegates than Clinton, but that could be eclipsed if Clinton were to win a large enough portion of Florida and Michigan's delegates.

the Obama

campaign will have to strap up

and go head on

with Hillary

they get a second chance in Florida

to compete and earn the nomination

same goes for Michigan

let the voters of the those States

have their say

no cauci

just one voter one ballot.

and lets see who can get to 2025!

The executive director of FairVote, a nonpartisan advocacy group, Robert Richie, said it would be unfair to seat the delegations from Florida and Michigan based on the January vote, because many voters stayed home because they thought their votes wouldn't count.

Yesterday, the Associated Press reported that a consensus was emerging that the best way to give Florida Democrats a say in selecting the party's presidential candidate was to hold a mail-in primary.

State Senator Bill Perkins, a Democrat of Harlem who is supporting Mr. Obama, said he thinks that holding a re-vote in Florida could send the party down "a slippery slope," because it would give the states that broke the party's rules another opportunity to participate in the nomination process.

"It's not fair that those who broke the rules are the ones who are going to get the advantage," he said.
Obama's people will not support a new election in Mich and Florida?

Do they really have the most delegates or even popular votes?

Time will tell
is it is one person

or Obama's people

that will or will not support

letting the Dems in Florida and Michigan mail in their votes for him or Hillary.

And I do believe voting at this stage or even as late as June is more favorable to Obama than when the earlier voting occurred.

I'm an Obama supporter.

I think Florida and Michigan should redo their primaries/caucauses and get counted. Simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom