US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part Catorce! - Page 26 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2008, 04:37 PM   #376
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:02 PM
The GOP's going to explode.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:40 PM   #377
Blue Crack Addict

I'll bring the popcorn

Old 02-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #378
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by phillyfan26
The GOP's going to explode.
I'm reading Tom Brokaw's newest book right now, called "Boom: Voices of the 60s." The parallels I'm noticing between the 1968 election and this one are unbelievably similar. The way the Republican party is fracturing and fighting amongst itself is almost identical to the way Democratic party fell apart so to speak, during the 68 campaign. I feel like I'm reading about our current situation from everything to the war to civil rights (although now more for non-racial minorities, etc.) On a side note, the book is excellent. I'd highly recommend it to any one interested in that time and how it connects and continues to this day.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #379
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:02 AM
Apparently Hillary and McCain have something in common when it comes to the irrational levels of loathing some elements in their own party have for them.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-05-2008, 04:45 PM   #380
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Apparently Hillary and McCain have something in common when it comes to the irrational levels of loathing some elements in their own party have for them.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:51 PM   #381
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Bill Maher was on Larry King last night and he talked about this a bit (with respect to Hillary), saying that people who are so adamantly anti-Hillary are really reflecting something ugly about themselves moreso than making a statement about her.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:56 PM   #382
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

Bill Maher was on Larry King last night and he talked about this a bit (with respect to Hillary), saying that people who are so adamantly anti-Hillary are really reflecting something ugly about themselves moreso than making a statement about her.
could hold true for Rush Limbaugh and the other McCain haters, too.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #383
Blue Crack Addict

The GOP has their own Hillary now?
Old 02-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #384
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:02 PM
This is entertaining...
Old 02-05-2008, 05:20 PM   #385
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:02 PM
I haven't followed the whole thread. Just saw this and thought I'd do a drive by & post...

No More 'Pink Houses' For McCain
By Brandon Barker
Feb 5th 2008 12:20PM

Whether he was lobbying for a John Mellencamp endorsement for his presidential bid or simply looking for a rousing, all-American song to rally his supporters, we will never know. Because, according to Rolling Stone, the popular heartland rocker has quietly asked Republican Sen. John McCain to stop playing "Our Country," "Pink Houses" or any other Mellencamp tune at his political events.

Mellencamp, a balladeer of middle class sufferance, is a Democrat and, until recently, a supporter of John Edwards' 2008 presidential campaign. In fact, Mellencamp even interrupted a performance of his song "Small Town" at an Iowa concert so that the former North Carolina Senator could let it be known to the crowd that he too came from a small town. The crowd had a mixed response, as you can imagine.

But this leaves McCain in a real bind. With his campaign gathering support and delegates, now comes the time for his staff to nail down a campaign song. And, during this stormy political season, Toby Keith is just not going to cut it.

Though a Republican, McCain is still a folksy man-of-the-people, a war hero, a gritty underdog who all-out demands a good American-penned tune. But with patriotic artists like Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi and John Mellencamp off-limits to conservatives, where does he turn?

http://news.aol.com/political-machin...00010000000001
Old 02-05-2008, 05:22 PM   #386
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Lila64
I haven't followed the whole thread. Just saw this and thought I'd do a drive by & post...

No More 'Pink Houses' For McCain
By Brandon Barker
Feb 5th 2008 12:20PM

Whether he was lobbying for a John Mellencamp endorsement for his presidential bid or simply looking for a rousing, all-American song to rally his supporters, we will never know. Because, according to Rolling Stone, the popular heartland rocker has quietly asked Republican Sen. John McCain to stop playing "Our Country," "Pink Houses" or any other Mellencamp tune at his political events.

Mellencamp, a balladeer of middle class sufferance, is a Democrat and, until recently, a supporter of John Edwards' 2008 presidential campaign. In fact, Mellencamp even interrupted a performance of his song "Small Town" at an Iowa concert so that the former North Carolina Senator could let it be known to the crowd that he too came from a small town. The crowd had a mixed response, as you can imagine.

But this leaves McCain in a real bind. With his campaign gathering support and delegates, now comes the time for his staff to nail down a campaign song. And, during this stormy political season, Toby Keith is just not going to cut it.

Though a Republican, McCain is still a folksy man-of-the-people, a war hero, a gritty underdog who all-out demands a good American-penned tune. But with patriotic artists like Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi and John Mellencamp off-limits to conservatives, where does he turn?

http://news.aol.com/political-machin...00010000000001

Bono loves everybody. McCain can pick a U2 song. Sure Edge, Adam, and Larry might be pissed, but they'll get over it.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:26 PM   #387
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:02 AM
Haha, Mellencamp did the same thing to Reagan back in '84 when Reagan was also trying to use "Pink Houses" in his campaign. I always wondered if Reagan had actually bothered to listen to the lyrics...

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 02-05-2008, 05:35 PM   #388
Blue Crack Supplier

Reagan thought that "born in the USA" was a patriotic song.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:39 PM   #389
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
That's always made me laugh. Do people not pay attention to lyrics? I think Reagan was just trying to be cool with the kids.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:41 PM   #390
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
It might be the most patriotic song of all, actually.