US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part Catorce!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
U2@NYC said:
I mean, people actually voted for Bush, again, even knowing how bad he was. So I would not be surprised if Obama wins.

You're still comparing the re-election of Bush to the possible nomination of Obama.

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

U2@NYC said:

I see the trend going. What I meant is that electing a President does not necessarily mean that he will be the best at his job. Or even worse, he can be a total disaster. I mean, people actually voted for Bush, again, even knowing how bad he was. So I would not be surprised if Obama wins.

And I do not think, again, that he will be able to accomplish much. I hope I am wrong but he does not look too capable to me. And, as someone said in another thread, he is just not "believable" at all.

He's believeable to millions of other people across the country, and obviously believability is a matter of all of our individual opinions. The fact of the matter is, no president will be able to accomplish 100% of his or her goals. We have the system of checks and balances to prevent one branch from becoming too powerful. If a president was allowed to do anything and everything he or she wanted that would be dangerous for a democratic republic like we live in. They need to be challenged and debated by the public, Congress, and the judical branch in order to compromise and find the best solution for the issues at hand. If we all blindly supported our president's policies without criticism or question, our country couldn't function. So, I don't expect Obama or whoever becomes president to accomplish everything they hope to. I do believe that he's the candidate with the best workable and sensible policies on the biggest issues our country faces at this time. I see him as intelligent and competent because of the logic and sense of his policies and plans. I see him as a person who's willing to work with people from all sides of the political spectrum which would create the greater unity most of our country is seeking. I'm not an idiot or naive. I don't support Obama because he makes me feel warm fuzzies. I do think he's inspiring. I do think he has vision, and I know that he gives me hope. I also know that's not enough. That's why I've researched his policies/positions on his website, why I've read numerous articles about him, and why I read his book, "The Audacity of Hope". It's only within the past couple of months when I finally decided which candidate to support. After I did everything I mentioned above, I decided that Obama is the leader we need right now who can lead our nation in the right direction. That's how I feel, I'm not trying to convince anyone else to feel the same way.

Last edited:
Latest presidentelectionpolls.com match-ups:

Barack Obama: 274
John McCain: 253

Hillary Clinton: 176
John McCain: 327

And just for good measure...

Al Gore: 233
John McCain: 201

Dreadsox said:

I think drafting Gore at the convention may be the way to save the party.

really?

most polls show that democrats are quite happy with both Obama and Hillary.

i am. i'd vote happily for either.

i just think one has a better chance to win than the other, and one is a turn of the page -- and a turn *away* from the Baby Boomers, praise Vishnu -- of history.

yes, for all of Hillary's legislative mastery and attention to detail, i think Obama will be much more effective because he doesn't inspire irrational hatred. i don't want 4 more years of rancor and psychodrama.

Well, I am still of th emindset that this is not going to be wrapped up before the convention. If it is, forget what I just typed.

Irvine511 said:
i would vote Gore over Obama.

I'd vote for Tracy Flick over all of them.

Really though, what makes Gore more attractive to you than Obama? Just curious.

I'd glady vote for Obama if Hillary doesn't win the nom. but I hate Al Gore.

I don't know what it is, if Hillary is cold and calculating and 'win at all costs' then Gore is that minus her humanity. He's not as bright as Kerry on most issues and more stoic and stiff than Mondale.

He made a movie though.

Seriously though, kudos to him for being right about Iraq, he's also championed a few causes that were anti-thetical to free speech. PMRC? Unless I remember wrong.

I just never liked him much. He handed Bubba Bush the 2000 election because quite frankly he was god-awful as a candidate. At least Kerry had to combat two wars and an incumbent. Gore had a rather succesful Presidency and flopped.

You're not alone Irvine, there is a huge faction in your camp.
I just wonder, what is the deal here? Is it all about cliamte change? I don't know.

Last edited:
U2isthebest said:

He's believeable to millions of other people across the country, and obviously believability is a matter of all of our individual opinions. The fact of the matter is, no president will be able to accomplish 100% of his or her goals. We have the system of checks and balances to prevent one branch from becoming too powerful. If a president was allowed to do anything and everything he or she wanted that would be dangerous for a democratic republic like we live in. They need to be challenged and debated by the public, Congress, and the judical branch in order to compromise and find the best solution for the issues at hand. If we all blindly supported our president's policies without criticism or question, our country couldn't function. So, I don't expect Obama or whoever becomes president to accomplish everything they hope to. I do believe that he's the candidate with the best workable and sensible policies on the biggest issues our country faces at this time. I see him as intelligent and competent because of the logic and sense of his policies and plans. I see him as a person who's willing to work with people from all sides of the political spectrum which would create the greater unity most of our country is seeking. I'm not an idiot or naive. I don't support Obama because he makes me feel warm fuzzies. I do think he's inspiring. I do think he has vision, and I know that he gives me hope. I also know that's not enough. That's why I've researched his policies/positions on his website, why I've read numerous articles about him, and why I read his book, "The Audacity of Hope". It's only within the past couple of months when I finally decided which candidate to support. After I did everything I mentioned above, I decided that Obama is the leader we need right now who can lead our nation in the right direction. That's how I feel, I'm not trying to convince anyone else to feel the same way.

Perhaps you could give us a more thoughtful and realistic answer instead of more of this "YES WE CAN, FIRED UP" prattle you Obama supporters continually come back with?

:wink:

U2DMfan said:

Seriously though, kudos to him for being right about Iraq, he's also championed a few causes that were anti-thetical to free speech. PMRC? Unless I remember wrong.

I just never liked him much. He handed Bubba Bush the 2000 election because quite frankly he was god-awful as a candidate. At least Kerry had to combat two wars and an incumbent. Gore had a rather succesful Presidency and flopped.

You're not alone Irvine, there is a huge faction in your camp.
I just wonder, what is the deal here? Is it all about cliamte change? I don't know.

I agree. I wonder if his newly found popularity is from this movie alone, or if we've seen a little more personality from him over the years, I'm not sure. But he had almost a given and had it "stolen" from him by a monkey. Doesn't sit well with me.

I can't believe that McCain thing, oh wait I can. The media was salivating already last night-Dan Abrams was saying" what does this mean for Mike Huckabee and will Romney reenter the race". Come on.

Any Democrat enjoying this should think twice fast. If you think they haven't been digging dirt on Obama for some time now think again. Even if it's nothing they will make it something.

maycocksean said:

Perhaps you could give us a more thoughtful and realistic answer instead of more of this "YES WE CAN, FIRED UP" prattle you Obama supporters continually come back with?

:wink:

I'm sorry. I wish I could learn how to employ basic reason and logic, but being an Obama supporter I can only rely on emotion and naivete.:sigh: We all have our crosses to bear.:lol:

whoa, i had no idea Huckabee was at the U23D premiere in Dublin!

2279761219_e8e7363763.jpg

U2isthebest said:

I'm sorry. I wish I could learn how to employ basic reason and logic, but being an Obama supporter I can only rely on emotion and naivete.:sigh: We all have our crosses to bear.:lol:

it's true.

the moment Obama opens his mouth, i'm reduced to a shrieking 9 year old watching Hannah Montana in 3D.

I love the fact that when you're a student of the University hosting a debate, they don't even provide a way for you to get tickets.

And why pick such a small venue? I play basketball where Obama and Clinton will be sitting tonight.

This is lame.

Trust me, it's a clusterfuck around here. Has been all day. It's an absolute media circus and I've never seen anything quite like it.

Fox poll: ‘Who is Osama rooting for’ in presidential race?

A new Fox News poll asks Americans which presidential candidate they believe is the favorite of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. Not surprisingly, the poll concludes that the terrorists prefer Democrats:

Who is Osama Rooting For?

Who does Osama bin Laden want to be the next president? More people think the terrorist leader wants Obama to win (30 percent) than think he wants Clinton (22 percent) or McCain (10 percent). Another 18 percent says it doesn’t matter to bin Laden and 20 percent are unsure

MrsSpringsteen said:
Fox poll: ‘Who is Osama rooting for’ in presidential race?

A new Fox News poll asks Americans which presidential candidate they believe is the favorite of al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. Not surprisingly, the poll concludes that the terrorists prefer Democrats:

Who is Osama Rooting For?

Who does Osama bin Laden want to be the next president? More people think the terrorist leader wants Obama to win (30 percent) than think he wants Clinton (22 percent) or McCain (10 percent). Another 18 percent says it doesn’t matter to bin Laden and 20 percent are unsure

That might be the dumbest poll ever. Who the fuck cares what Osama Bin Laden's opinion on our presidential candidates is? It's not like he'll be voting. It's not like he's going to apologize and start waving the red, white, and blue if a specific person gets in.

Oh, and it's so clever. "OMGZ, Obama snds lk Osama. He mst b a Muslim, so Osama wantz him 2 win!" LOLZ! :happy: :lol: :yes: :laugh: :lmao: :|

I think their point is that Osama would think Obama is soft on terrorism/terrorists. He watches Fox via the satellite dish in his cave so he definitely believes that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom