US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part Catorce! - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #331
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

The one thing I feel strongest about with some passion is
that Obama will most likely lose the election to McCain.

Along with the belief than Hillary has a much better chance of beating him.
My gut instinct is to agree with you. Then I look at the polls.

This morning I learned that my Edwards-supporting colleagues who said last week they would support Obama are now leaning towards Clinton, which totally surprised me.

So in a "normal" election the polls say a lot. This is not a normal election. People are all over the place, saying one thing, doing another.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:33 AM   #332
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:52 PM
diamond is totally gay for Mitt.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:37 AM   #333
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I just voted, and it was awesome.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #334
Blue Crack Addict

I just love that McCain is freaking people like Rush and Ann Coulter out, it's too enjoyable for words.

Limbaugh: McCain Out to Destroy GOP for 2000 S.C. Defeat

February 04, 2008 4:13 PM

ABC News' Jennifer Parker Reports: Continuing his attack on Republican frontrunner Sen. John McCain, conservative radio show host Rush Limbaugh devoted a significant portion of his radio show Monday to urging conservatives not to vote for the senator in tomorrow's Super Tuesday contests.

For weeks, Limbaugh has been on the attack against McCain, branding the Arizona senator a "liberal" and suggesting he would destroy the Republican Party.

On his radio show Monday Limbaugh said that if McCain is elected president, he would destroy the Republican party by working with Democrats to pass liberal legislation.

"He's going to reach out to Democrats in Congress," Limbaugh said, citing "McCain -Kennedy" and "McCain -Feingold" as examples of McCain-sponsored bipartisan legislation.

"This is how he's going to get even with Republicans for defeating him in South Carolina in 2000," Limbaugh said.
"The Republican Congress will effectively be neutered."

In 2000, McCain lost South Carolina to George W. Bush, effectively killing his first presidential bid.

Limbaugh also suggested conservatives should be wary of media endorsements of McCain. McCain has won the endorsement of the New York Times.

"It was just six months ago that if a candidate was endorsed by the liberal media we were instantly suspicious of them," Limbaugh said.

Now he said, "we've got drive-by media organizations having orgasms about McCain."

The conservative radio host also lambasted Fred Barnes, editor of the conservative magazine The Weekly Standard for an editorial titled "Let's Grow Up Conservatives" that urges conservatives to give McCain a chance if he continues to reach out to them.

"Fred, you used to be one of us!" Limbaugh said. "Now you seem to be all for Republicans having its liberal wing too."

Limbaugh also suggested McCain is winning over anti-abortion advocates, despite McCain's long-held record of opposing abortion rights.

"It's pro-choicers who are voting for McCain. That's who liberals are!" Limbaugh said.

McCain's chief Republican rival former Gov. Mitt Romney aired a campaign ad today on Limbaugh's radio program attacking McCain's record on taxes and immigration.

"John McCain, he's been in Washington a long time," the announcer says.
While Limbaugh has not endorsed Romney, he has been urging his listeners for weeks not to vote for McCain at a time when McCain and Romney have argued over who is the true conservative.

While Romney has argued that he is a "Ronald Reagan" conservative, many of his earlier positions on abortion, same-sex marriage and gun rights while he was governor of Massachusetts leave many conservatives doubtful of his candidacy.

McCain, meanwhile, has always had a difficult relationship with the conservative wing of the Republican party.

Before the South Carolina primary, McCain's 95-year-old mother, Roberta, urged conservative to "hold their nose" and vote for her son.

Limbaugh's opinions appeared to rub off on one caller Monday named Bruce.

"I'm not a mind-numb robot and I'm not going to vote for John McCain!" the caller said.

Limbaugh's outspoken rejection of McCain led former Republican Senate leader Bob Dole to write him a letter today that was sent to media today by the McCain campaign.

"Rush," Dole wrote, "I was the Republican Leader from January 1985 until I left the Senate voluntarily in June 1996. I worked closely with Senator McCain when he came to the Senate in 1987 until I departed. I cannot recall a single instance when he did not support the Party on critical votes.

"Whoever wins the Republican nomination will need your enthusiastic support. Two terms for the Clintons are enough," Dole wrote.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #335
Blue Crack Distributor

a mccain / obama face off could be exactly what this country needs.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #336
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

This is not a normal election. People are all over the place, saying one thing, doing another.
I completely agree

this is not a normal election in the Democratic primaries.

There are so many factors affecting and influencing Democratic primary voters.

It is very fluid and emotional.

Once the primary is over.

History will be made.

The dream will be realized.

Yes We Can.

America will have proved we are color blind.

Just like we proved we were gender blind in 1988.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #337
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
a mccain / obama face off could be exactly what this country needs.
I thought bloomberg was your man?
Old 02-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #338
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I just love that McCain is freaking people like Rush and Ann Coulter out, it's too enjoyable for words.

Limbaugh: McCain Out to Destroy GOP for 2000 S.C. Defeat

February 04, 2008 4:13 PM

ABC News' Jennifer Parker Reports: Continuing his attack on Republican frontrunner Sen. John McCain, conservative radio show host Rush Limbaugh devoted a significant portion of his radio show Monday to urging conservatives not to vote for the senator in tomorrow's Super Tuesday contests.

For weeks, Limbaugh has been on the attack against McCain, branding the Arizona senator a "liberal" and suggesting he would destroy the Republican Party.

On his radio show Monday Limbaugh said that if McCain is elected president, he would destroy the Republican party by working with Democrats to pass liberal legislation.

"He's going to reach out to Democrats in Congress," Limbaugh said, citing "McCain -Kennedy" and "McCain -Feingold" as examples of McCain-sponsored bipartisan legislation.

"This is how he's going to get even with Republicans for defeating him in South Carolina in 2000," Limbaugh said.
"The Republican Congress will effectively be neutered."

In 2000, McCain lost South Carolina to George W. Bush, effectively killing his first presidential bid.

Limbaugh also suggested conservatives should be wary of media endorsements of McCain. McCain has won the endorsement of the New York Times.

"It was just six months ago that if a candidate was endorsed by the liberal media we were instantly suspicious of them," Limbaugh said.

Now he said, "we've got drive-by media organizations having orgasms about McCain."

The conservative radio host also lambasted Fred Barnes, editor of the conservative magazine The Weekly Standard for an editorial titled "Let's Grow Up Conservatives" that urges conservatives to give McCain a chance if he continues to reach out to them.

"Fred, you used to be one of us!" Limbaugh said. "Now you seem to be all for Republicans having its liberal wing too."

Limbaugh also suggested McCain is winning over anti-abortion advocates, despite McCain's long-held record of opposing abortion rights.

"It's pro-choicers who are voting for McCain. That's who liberals are!" Limbaugh said.

McCain's chief Republican rival former Gov. Mitt Romney aired a campaign ad today on Limbaugh's radio program attacking McCain's record on taxes and immigration.

"John McCain, he's been in Washington a long time," the announcer says.
While Limbaugh has not endorsed Romney, he has been urging his listeners for weeks not to vote for McCain at a time when McCain and Romney have argued over who is the true conservative.

While Romney has argued that he is a "Ronald Reagan" conservative, many of his earlier positions on abortion, same-sex marriage and gun rights while he was governor of Massachusetts leave many conservatives doubtful of his candidacy.

McCain, meanwhile, has always had a difficult relationship with the conservative wing of the Republican party.

Before the South Carolina primary, McCain's 95-year-old mother, Roberta, urged conservative to "hold their nose" and vote for her son.

Limbaugh's opinions appeared to rub off on one caller Monday named Bruce.

"I'm not a mind-numb robot and I'm not going to vote for John McCain!" the caller said.

Limbaugh's outspoken rejection of McCain led former Republican Senate leader Bob Dole to write him a letter today that was sent to media today by the McCain campaign.

"Rush," Dole wrote, "I was the Republican Leader from January 1985 until I left the Senate voluntarily in June 1996. I worked closely with Senator McCain when he came to the Senate in 1987 until I departed. I cannot recall a single instance when he did not support the Party on critical votes.

"Whoever wins the Republican nomination will need your enthusiastic support. Two terms for the Clintons are enough," Dole wrote.
That was fantastic. Take some Valium, Rush, the panic will pass. I see Bob Dole is still bitter over 96.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:23 PM   #339
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2isthebest
I see Bob Dole is still bitter over 96.

Bob Dole's whole career was built on being a "moderate" similar to McCain.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #340
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Bob Dole's whole career was built on being a "moderate" similar to McCain.
I remember hearing about that. Didn't he try to paint himself as far more to the right, so to speak, during the 96 election though? I read somewhere that one of his biggest problems during the campaign was all the time he had to spend convincing Republicans he was conservative enough at the beginning of his campaign. I was only 8 at the time, so I don't remember a whole lot of the campaign/election except for the fact that his constant referring to himself in the third person was really weird.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #341
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I remember hearing about that. Didn't he try to paint himself as far more to the right, so to speak, during the 96 election though? I read somewhere that one of his biggest problems was all the time he had to spend convincing Republicans he was conservative enough at the beginning of his campaign. I was only 8 at the time, so I don't remember a whole lot of the campaign/election except for the fact that his constant referring to himself in the third person was really weird.

96 was two years after the republican revolution of 94

when they took over congress after decades of democratic control

there also was a belief that Bush 1
lost to Clinton in 92 because the conservative base was cool to him

so yes, you are right Dole in 96 campaigned more as a conservative
than his career reflects
Old 02-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #342
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

96 was two years after the republican revolution of 94

when they took over congress after decades of democratic control

there also was a belief that Bush 1
lost to Clinton in 92 because the conservative base was cool to him

so yes, you are right Dole in 96 campaigned more as a conservative
than his career reflects
I think one of the biggest challenges the Republicans will face in the future, even more so than current times suggest, is finding a nominee "conservative" enough to represent them, unless the ultra-conservative evangelicals lose their stranglehold on the GOP. From what I've observed so far in the race for the Republican nomination, every candidate has had to prove their conservative background as opposed to proving they have the skills and plans necessary to run the country. As much as I dislike the Republican nominees, I think it's unfair to them. The Democratic base is much more moderate than the Republican base from everything I've observed. Yes, there are extremely liberal Democrats, but unlike the extreme conservatives they don't form the foundation for the party. The current Democratic race for the nomination between Clinton and Obama is very close, but is ultimately less messy than the Republican race for the simple fact that they are much more free to play to the entire Democratic party than the Republican candidates who have to mainly focus on one powerful sector of their party if they want to have a prayer of getting the GOP nomination. In the future and even now, I think that could be and is a big issue for the Republican party.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:48 PM   #343
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen

It's not a "nice try" at anything, your nasty little comment about his PTSD was uncalled for and irrelevant and DOES denigrate his service because that's how he got it if he has it.else-uncalled for and mean spirited.

He has "anger issues"-well so does Mitt I would
Mitt doesn't have anger issues, John does and so do you.

dbs
Old 02-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #344
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

Mitt doesn't have anger issues, John does and so do you.
Yep, I'm a shrew. Thanks for the unsolicited professional analysis. You don't like that I challenged you for saying that about McCain and you don't like other things as well, I understand.

Yes Mitt is a supreme superior being who is in complete control over his emotions at all times. Either that or he's a cyborg.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:57 PM   #345
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I think one of the biggest challenges the Republicans will face in the future, even more so than current times suggest, is finding a nominee "conservative" enough to represent them, unless the ultra-conservative evangelicals lose their stranglehold on the GOP. From what I've observed so far in the race for the Republican nomination, every candidate has had to prove their conservative background as opposed to proving they have the skills and plans necessary to run the country. As much as I dislike the Republican nominees, I think it's unfair to them. The Democratic base is much more moderate than the Republican base from everything I've observed. Yes, there are extremely liberal Democrats, but unlike the extreme conservatives they don't form the foundation for the party. The current Democratic race for the nomination between Clinton and Obama is very close, but is ultimately less messy than the Republican race for the simple fact that they are much more free to play to the entire Democratic party than the Republican candidates who have to mainly focus on one powerful sector of their party if they want to have a prayer of getting the GOP nomination. In the future and even now, I think that could be and is a big issue for the Republican party.
McCain can beat Obama

Clinton was not liberal enough for many in the Democratic party

look back to Dukais, Mondale for more liberal nominees