US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part Catorce!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bono is at the Lantos funeral today; Mitt is set to endorse McCain in Boston today and McCain says he will accept the endorsement only if he gets a free copy of the Book of Mormon from Mitt.

:wink:

diamond said:
Bono is at the Lantos funeral today; Mitt is set to endorse McCain in Boston today and McCain says he will accept the endorsement only if he gets a free copy of the Book of Mormon from Mitt.

:wink:

Oh, Thank God. I was worried there for a second. Hugs not drugs.:rockon:

diamond said:

Latte Liberals are for Obama.
Dunkin Donut Democrats are for Clinton.

Studies have also showed higher educated Democrats prefer Obama.

I am a bit bothered that even after most of the Kennedys have endorsed Obama, and the Kennedys more or less "owning" the polictical machinery in that state, that Mass voters voted for Hillary.

Are Mass Democrats closet racists?

dbs

Hello Bro -

1) If the Kennedy's owned the political machinery - why have there been Republican Governors for most of the last twenty years?

2) Closet Racists - Are everywhere! Even in MA - But they did not want to make a woman Governor so they overcame it.

3) Nobody likes to be told who to vote for - so Hillary won because we wanted to show the Kennedy's that we can think for ourselves.

Dreadsox said:

Hello Bro -

3) Nobody likes to be told who to vote for - so Hillary won because we wanted to show the Kennedy's that we can think for ourselves.

I believe I can go along with this..

dbs

BTW-
Doesn't Kerry look like a buffoon in this pic?:

bono490.jpg

dbs

I like how all the American public already focuses on the elections one and a half years before they are finalised, with all the pre election campaigns and all.

It really keeps the American public from looking what is going on in the White House right now. With the media focusing on the elections, I think every president knows he can get through with more shit, without people really noticing.

:eyebrow:

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:
I like how all the American public already focuses on the elections one and a half years before they are finalised, with all the pre election campaigns and all.

i dunno, i guess it's kind of important to find out who's going to be each party's nominee.

:shrug:

Irvine511 said:

i dunno, i guess it's kind of important to find out who's going to be each party's nominee.

:shrug:

kind of important. but does anybody focus on anything else that happens, politically?

it´s just too funny to watch how easily you can forget who´s still in office. now isn´t that what democracy and civil society are about, the race for the next guy in office, hah

in case no one bothers to look at the waterboarding thread,

the next candidate mc cain supported Bush who vetoed against the ban on waterboarding, a torture technique used by the spanish inquisition

does that mean if you vote for mc cain you support torture?

HELL YEAH!

diamond said:
BTW-
Doesn't Kerry look like a buffoon in this pic?:

And I'm sure you've never taken an unflattering picture in your entire life. Is he running this year?

Bush has plenty of buffoon pictures as well, actually someone could probably publish a book full of them the size of War And Peace

kind of important. but does anybody focus on anything else that happens, politically?

it´s just too funny to watch how easily you can forget who´s still in office. now isn´t that what democracy and civil society are about, the race for the next guy in office, hah

ha ha, you're right.

we is so stupid.

thank goodness we gots the austrians to keep their eyez on tha ball.

in case no one bothers to look at the waterboarding thread,

the next candidate mc cain supported Bush who vetoed against the ban on waterboarding, a torture technique used by the spanish inquisition

does that mean if you vote for mc cain you support torture?

HELL YEAH!

don't worry, i'll be starting a thread about it.

diamond said:

That said, perhaps the Mass electorate is more of a less educated "Dunkin Donuts Democrat crowd" than the Obama "Starbucks Latte Liberal crowd".

A look at Mass fashion vs NY fashion bespeaks that notion.

Yeah that must be it. Isn't your wife from MA? So is she less educated and less fashionable? Maybe she redeemed herself only by moving to Utah or Arizona or wherever.

Are you taking up the slack for Mitt in MA bashing?

MA has gay marriage too, what a disgrace. I'd rather have that than good (diamond approved TM) fashion.

Last edited:
Think Progress

Today, the Senate brought the Intelligence Authorization Bill to the floor, which contained a provision from Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) establishing one interrogation standard across the government. The bill requires the intelligence community to abide by the same standards as articulated in the Army Field Manual and bans waterboarding.

Just hours ago, the Senate voted in favor of the bill, 51-45.

Earlier today, ThinkProgress noted that Sen. John McCain (R-AZ), a former prisoner of war, has spoken strongly in favor of implementing the Army Field Manual standard. When confronted today with the decision of whether to stick with his conscience or cave to the right wing, McCain chose to ditch his principles and instead vote to preserve waterboarding.

Mr. McCain, a former prisoner of war, has consistently voiced opposition to waterboarding and other methods that critics say is a form torture. But the Republicans, confident of a White House veto, did not mount the challenge. Mr. McCain voted “no” on Wednesday afternoon.

The New York Times Times notes that “the White House has long said Mr. Bush will veto the bill, saying it ‘would prevent the president from taking the lawful actions necessary to protect Americans from attack in wartime.’”

After Bush vetoes the bill, McCain will again be confronted with a vote to either stand with President Bush or stand against torture. He indicated with his vote today where he will come down on that issue.

John McCain: He was against waterboarding before he was for it.

MrsSpringsteen said:

And I'm sure you've never taken an unflattering picture in your entire life. Is he running this year?

Bush has plenty of buffoon pictures as well, actually someone could probably publish a book full of them the size of War And Peace

Ah, yes. He perfected what my high school government teacher called "the deer in the headlights" look. We used to discuss that all the time during the Bush/Kerry debates.:lol:

MrsSpringsteen said:
When confronted today with the decision of whether to stick with his conscience or cave to the right wing, McCain chose to ditch his principles and instead vote to preserve waterboarding.

Aaaaand there goes most of the remainder of my respect for him.

Clinton Wins New Mexico

By Ariel Alexovich

Hillary Rodham Clinton has been declared the winner of the New Mexico caucuses, nine days after the event. Mrs. Clinton edged out Barack Obama by 1,709 votes, party officials announced.

The delay in naming a winner was due to organizational difficulties at some precincts. Long lines and a ballot shortage forced some 17,000 voters to cast provisional ballots, which had to be hand counted.

Mrs. Clinton gains 14 delegates from New Mexico, compared to 12 for Mr. Obama. She was the most popular candidate in 27 of the state’s 33 counties. In total, Mrs. Clinton earned 73,105 votes, besting the 71,396 cast for Mr. Obama.

Bush 41 to endorse McCain:

http://youdecide08.foxnews.com/2008/02/15/former-president-bush-to-endorse-mccain/

WASHINGTON — Former President George H.W. Bush will endorse John McCain in Texas on Monday, Republican officials said.

The endorsement represents another step in McCain’s tightening grip on the Republican presidential nomination. The officials spoke Friday on condition of anonymity because the formal announcement is next week.

Since he took a commanding lead in the delegate count, the Arizona senator has been working to solidify his support from the Republican base. On Thursday, he picked up the endorsement of his one-time chief rival, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney. The endorsement of the former president and patriarch of the Bush family also could help with party stalwarts.

His son, the current President Bush, has not yet formally endorsed McCain because former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee in still in the race, but he strongly signaled his support last weekend in a cable television interview.

The president told “Fox News Sunday” that McCain is a “true conservative” but may have to work harder to convince other conservatives that he is one of their own.

McCain “is very strong on national defense,” Bush said in the television interview. “He is tough fiscally. He believes the tax cuts ought to be permanent. He is pro-life. His principles are sound and solid as far as I’m concerned.”

When asked about criticism of McCain by conservative commentators Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter, the president said, “I think that if John is the nominee, he has got some convincing to do to convince people that he is a solid conservative and I’ll be glad to help him if he is the nominee.”

Bush said some of the criticism of McCain was the result of “probably, some personal animosity toward me. You can’t please all the people all the time.”

2861U2 said:
Bush 41 to endorse McCain:

http://youdecide08.foxnews.com/2008/02/15/former-president-bush-to-endorse-mccain/

WASHINGTON — Former President George H.W. Bush will endorse John McCain in Texas on Monday, Republican officials said.

The endorsement represents another step in McCain’s tightening grip on the Republican presidential nomination. The officials spoke Friday on condition of anonymity because the formal announcement is next week.

Since he took a commanding lead in the delegate count, the Arizona senator has been working to solidify his support from the Republican base. On Thursday, he picked up the endorsement of his one-time chief rival, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney. The endorsement of the former president and patriarch of the Bush family also could help with party stalwarts.

His son, the current President Bush, has not yet formally endorsed McCain because former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee in still in the race, but he strongly signaled his support last weekend in a cable television interview.

The president told “Fox News Sunday” that McCain is a “true conservative” but may have to work harder to convince other conservatives that he is one of their own.

McCain “is very strong on national defense,” Bush said in the television interview. “He is tough fiscally. He believes the tax cuts ought to be permanent. He is pro-life. His principles are sound and solid as far as I’m concerned.”

When asked about criticism of McCain by conservative commentators Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter, the president said, “I think that if John is the nominee, he has got some convincing to do to convince people that he is a solid conservative and I’ll be glad to help him if he is the nominee.”

Bush said some of the criticism of McCain was the result of “probably, some personal animosity toward me. You can’t please all the people all the time.”

He's got some convincing to do to convince people. Eloquently spoken, Mr. President, eloquently spoken. And yes, I'm sure the base hates McCain because of you. :huh:

When confronted today with the decision of whether to stick with his conscience or cave to the right wing, McCain chose to ditch his principles and instead vote to preserve waterboarding.

That sliver of respect that I had left, that part that told me even if we had to deal with another Republican president at least it's McCain and not a Bush or a Huckabilly, is now gone.

You've sold your soul far too many times, now you are just a soulless, hateful dinosaur.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom