US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part Catorce!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
martha said:

Which may finally shut people up about how wonderful all these wars are. :rolleyes:

Including all the draft-age young men who post in here.

I'm changing my name to Nigel Johansen and moving across the water, mates. There's nothing left here for me. See you on the other side of the pond! You can all have a draught on me following the nuclear holocaust.

martha said:

Which may finally shut people up about how wonderful all these wars are. :rolleyes:

Including all the draft-age young men who post in here.

What are you talking about?

Assuming you're somewhat referring to me, I don't believe I've ever described the war as "wonderful" or anything close to it...

And if there ever was a draft, I wouldn't break my leg to avoid it.

2861U2 said:

Maybe you're suited for the military lifestyle then.

I'm not. And I like having the choice of not being forced into a lifestyle I can't handle.

2861U2 said:

What are you talking about?

Assuming you're somewhat referring to me, I don't believe I've ever described the war as "wonderful" or anything close to it...

I am talking about you, and I wonder how supportive you'll be of old men who promote war when you know you'll have to go fight the damn thing.

Considering I'm pro-choice as well? :wink:

I was just playing Devil's Advocate in that one thread.

2861U2 said:

Forgive me for asking, but does this mean you would willingly join the military if called upon, or would you just not try very hard to weasel out of it? :wink:

Personally, I'm a selfish bastard like Pfan. I don't want to be cannon fodder, thank you very much. :p

LemonMelon said:

Forgive me for asking, but does this mean you would willingly join the military if called upon, or would you just not try very hard to weasel out of it? :wink:

If there was a draft, I would willingly sign up and not try to get out of it.

LemonMelon said:
Personally, I'm a selfish bastard like Pfan. I don't want to be cannon fodder, thank you very much. :p

I don't even think it's selfish. I think the entire concept behind the draft is bullshit.

If people really think there's a war worth fighting and that the country needs them, plenty will sign up. They shouldn't have to be forced into it.

phillyfan26 said:

I don't even think it's selfish. I think the entire concept behind the draft is bullshit.

If people really think there's a war worth fighting and that the country needs them, plenty will sign up. They shouldn't have to be forced into it.

Well, I was being sarcastic. It's not selfish, I agree.

Earnie Shavers said:
Even if HRC was your CIC, and you absolutely did not believe that the war being fought was neither right nor necessary?

Well I would need an example. All wars are different and waged for different reasons, so I don't want to give a general "yes" answer.

Someone is very happy:
0,1020,1083260,00.jpg

RON PAUL REVOLUTION

I got a 10 foot banner across the street from me

except the EVOL is mirror reversed to read LOVE

The guy is my tenant
he will be moving, shortly.

RonPaulRevolutionJPG.jpg

Last edited:
phillyfan26 said:

I disagree with your point of view. There is a danger here that comes from having a volunteer service. A draft keeps the American voter in tune with what we are asking of the armed forces. There is less of a connection for American voters now more than ever due to the fact that we are not worried about our sons and daughters being drafted. If there were this added pressure, there would be a definite gut check and voters would keep the politians more in check.

martha said:

I'll back your play on that. I have a nephew just a year or two younger than you.

Me, too. And his parents are die-hard Republicans. Every kid needs a leftie auntie.

SIMI VALLEY: California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger is poised to give his endorsement to Republican presidential front-runner John McCain, US media reported on Wednesday.

CNN television network cited two Republican sources as saying that discussions with Schwarzenegger were ongoing about securing the popular former Hollywood action hero's endorsement.

Later Wednesday, the Los Angeles Times reported on its website that Schwarzenegger was set to give his endorsement, possibly on Thursday.

An endorsement from Schwarzenegger, who was re-elected California's leader in a landslide 2006 victory and who remains popular, would be a major coup for McCain heading into the delegate-rich state's primary contest. CNN reported earlier that conversations with Schwarzenegger were ongoing with a view to a possible announcement on Thursday.

Dreadsox said:

I disagree with your point of view. There is a danger here that comes from having a volunteer service. A draft keeps the American voter in tune with what we are asking of the armed forces. There is less of a connection for American voters now more than ever due to the fact that we are not worried about our sons and daughters being drafted. If there were this added pressure, there would be a definite gut check and voters would keep the politians more in check.
Conscription is state slavery.

onebloodonelife said:
if al Qaeda attempts to build a base within Iraq, Obama will keep troops in Iraq or elsewhere in the region to carry out targeted strikes on al Qaeda..

al Qaeda will be in Iraq for a long, long time
they are still in Afghanistan
so Obama has allowed himself to make an open-ended commitment for keeping troops in Iraq for years and years

As I have been saying lately
Obama is Republican-lite

he is pandering to GOP during the Democratic primaries
he would be a push over > if he gets elected

Dreadsox said:

So, we threaten military service to one group of people (young) to get another group of people (adults) to pay more attention to politics?

I think it's great that you want people to pay more attention, and I agree with that sentiment, but that's horrible, horrible logic. In fact, downright scary logic.

joyfulgirl said:

Me, too. And his parents are die-hard Republicans. Every kid needs a leftie auntie.

I only have that problem on one side of the family. The dad there is a dutiful and obedient Christian as well. Whatever his church tells him to do, he does. Steve and I had been a bad influence there for years. :wink:

phillyfan26 said:

So, we threaten military service to one group of people (young) to get another group of people (adults) to pay more attention to politics?

I think it's great that you want people to pay more attention, and I agree with that sentiment, but that's horrible, horrible logic. In fact, downright scary logic.

Especially when it would be your ass on the line, not the guy who thinks it's such a great idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom