US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread - Part Catorce!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you have to bear in mind who his audience was

I think the fact that "some people" consider that a joke
- and think it is funny
>is hilarious

I think it says more about him than the audience itself (that one was a given).

in my heart (which most times is not rational)

I want to believe, he is laughing at his audience, not with them

it really is a stupid joke (sounds like Limbaugh)

I think you are giving McCain a free pass. Much like the media.

If Bill Clinton said something like that about one of Obama's daughters - imagine the outrage.

anitram said:
I think you are giving McCain a free pass. Much like the media.

If Bill Clinton said something like that about one of Obama's daughters - imagine the outrage.

one comparision

perhaps we need a Dem candiadte to remark on a Republican candidate's child

so lets go with Bill Clinton saying something like :scratch:

McCain's daughter Sidney, got her good looks from her mother and intelligence from her father

thank god, she was adopted

anitram said:
Why does McCain get a free pass on:

Not only did he say it when Chelsea was only 17, but he also managed a classy dig at Reno's sexual orientation.

Horrifying.

Chelsea has always been my favorite Clinton. :(

deep said:

one comparision

perhaps we need a Dem candiadte to remark on a Republican candidate's child

so lets go with Bill Clinton saying something like :scratch:

McCain's daughter Sidney, got her good looks from her mother and intelligence from her father

thank god, she was adopted

You gotta throw in some gay innuendo too. :up:

anitram said:

gay innuendo too. :up:

please explain?

I did a quick goggle search and saw this

McCain adopted her two children Doug and Andy, [25] a daughter named Sidney

and saw this

I guess the adopted daughter is Bridget not Sidney

I have a niece named Sidney

Last edited:
The Janet Reno part clearly to me reads like a dig at a very "masculine" lesbian. And I think that's exactly how he meant it.

McCain has a history of publically taking jabs at people in 'humorously' crude ways, though..telling Jon Stewart "I had something picked out for you [from Baghdad], too—a little IED to put on your desk", calling the then-head of the Moral Majority "a pompous self-serving son of a bitch", sarcastically referring to an Arizona retirement community called Leisure World as "Seizure World", etc. Obviously some of those are less potentially offensive than others, but I think it's also true that only people who fit a certain accepted personality stereotype are able to "get a pass" on such remarks--especially when they're people of McCain's stature and those remarks were made publically. If you 'read' to people as being characterized primarily by "no bullshit", "maverick" qualities (maleness helps too)--which, say, Bill Clinton really doesn't--then I think many will be inclined to grant you more license to say things like that, no matter what title you hold.

There are two Leisure Worlds within an hour of where I live

and all my life they have been referred to as "Seizure World" by just about everyone,
even the retirees that live within the those communities :shrug:

What is Leisure World? Like one of those minimum security prisons for old people they have in Florida with inexplicable security fences?

yolland said:
McCain has a history of publically taking jabs at people in 'humorously' crude ways, though..telling Jon Stewart "I had something picked out for you [from Baghdad], too—a little IED to put on your desk", calling the then-head of the Moral Majority "a pompous self-serving son of a bitch", sarcastically referring to an Arizona retirement community called Leisure World as "Seizure World", etc. Obviously some of those are less potentially offensive than others, but I think it's also true that only people who fit a certain accepted personality stereotype are able to "get a pass" on such remarks--especially when they're people of McCain's stature and those remarks were made publically. If you 'read' to people as being characterized primarily by "no bullshit", "maverick" qualities (maleness helps too)--which, say, Bill Clinton really doesn't--then I think many will be inclined to grant you more license to say things like that, no matter what title you hold.

This all goes to Mccain's temperament that i've posted about already.

My goodness what a night.

Both Hillary and Obama gave excellent speeches.

If a room full of 6,000 Virginia democrats is an accurate sample, Obama will win in a landslide on Tuesday.

Right now I'm crashing from quite an adrenaline rush, I'll report later with more details as I clear my head.

I am appalled that McCain said something so awful about Chelsea Clinton. For an elected official to speak that way about someone who wasn't even an adult yet is absolutely disgraceful.

He doesn't get a pass from me. I instantly lost a great deal of respect for him.

Bear with me, I didn't sleep much last night so a lot of what I type may not be the most coherent stuff but this is my write up of my experience at the Jefferson Jackson dinner yesterday:

My dad dropped me off around 4:30 to a part of downtown Richmond where there were so many people crowding some of the busiest streets, that the streets were actually shut down. There was an excellent drumline that was pumping up the crowd. On one corner was a concentrated group of people with Hillary signs, but Obama supporters crowded the sidewalk for several blocks. There was no question that the Obama folks outnumbered the Hillary folks.

I was with some friends and we decided, after being a part of the chanting crowds for awhile, to go check out the area with all the media satellite trucks. It was kind of a random spot to be, but lucky us it was where the VIPs arrived. Former Gov. Warner, who's almost a sho-in for the US Senate, pulled in right by us. At that point the drumline had made it's way to where we were, and Gov. Warner came out and danced with them (I'll post photos later).

Not much longer after that, our current Gov. Tim Kaine arrived, gave me a hug as soon as he saw me and then he admired the drumline. Various other politicians including former Gov. Doug Wilder (the first African American governor) also arrived.

My friends and I then stood in line to get in, which took forever because the security was tighter than I've ever seen at any airport. All our electronic devices (phones, cameras) had to be ON, and the security people looked at them and pressed buttons. They then went through our purses and had to open every little compartment. For whatever reason, they even flipped through peoples' checkbooks :huh: I also noticed secret service folks up in a box just watching the people as they came in.

Once finally inside, I spotted the CNN and MSNBC cameras. One of my friends who was with me is a news junkie like myself, so she and I giddily scurried over and there was CNN's Candy Crowley. She seemed flattered that we were avid viewers. In person, she's very tall but not nearly as large as she seems when you watch her on TV.

Then I saw my man, Lee Cowan of NBC sitting with his laptop. I went up to him and we talked for a good 5 minutes. He had the perfect anchorman hair and teeth, and he was VERY nice. His producer wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed as it took him forever to take a picture of us with my very simple digital camera. Lee was a great sport though. (Here we are :D):
n31804491_31504254_5820.jpg

I went back to my seat and a little after 8:30 Hillary came out and spoke. It was one of her better speeches, if she had been delivering speeches like that throughout the campaign the race might be looking different.

To fill in the gap between her speech and Obama's, there was some music playing, some congressmen spoke, Obama supporters chanted and Hillary supporters tried to drown them out, but that didn't work, and finally Gov. Warner got up there and gave a great speech as well.

Then, the room came to a fever pitch as Gov. Kaine got up on stage, and he was the most fired up I have ever seen him. He brought the crowd to its feet, and by the time Obama entered (to City of Blinding Lights) the place was going NUTS. It took awhile before Obama could get the crowd to calm down so he could speak.

The crowd positively received Clinton, but with Obama it was at an entirely different level. There were some rude Clinton supporters behind me (I was polite during their candidate, they could have at least been polite during mine). But in the end by the time Obama finished and Signed Sealed Delivered started playing people were dancing in the aisles. It was a very good night for the Virginia Democratic Party.

I was planning on going to an Obama rally in Virginia Beach this evening but I'm so exhausted I'm just going to lay low.

Awesome, Laura! I was thinking of you last night while I watched it on TV. Glad you had such a good experience. :)

Obama is the clear leader

the momentum is with him

everything is breaking his way

he should be considered the favorite!

the nomination is now his to take

or lose

Obama’s victory in the Maine caucuses follow on the heels of his Saturday sweep in which he won Louisiana’s primary contest as well as caucuses in the states of Washington and Nebraska.

His winning margins ranged from substantial to crushing. In Maine, he led 59 percent to 41 percent with 87 percent of the precints reporting. In Louisiana, Obama defeated Clinton, 57 percent to 36 percent. He won in Nebraska by a 68 percent to 32 percent margin and in Washington 68 percent to 31 percent.

Obama's victory in Maine -- and the ease with which it came -- actually exceeded expectations, even though he swept the caucuses held on Super Tuesday. Clinton had the backing of the state's governor, John Baldacci, and its proximity to New Hamsphire and Massachusetts, both of which Clinton has already won this year, led some analysts to expect a close race.

Even Obama's own campaign said they didn't expect to win Maine, according to a document the campaign said was accidentally leaked earlier in the week.

In the delegate chase, Obama has pulled ahead of Clinton, even when the support of uncommitted super delegates is figured in. According to CBS News estimates, Obama holds a razor-thin lead with 1,134 delegates overall to 1,131 for Clinton.

deep said:
Obama is the clear leader

the momentum is with him

everything is breaking his way

he should be considered the favorite!

the nomination is now his to take

or lose

Sure seems that way. I wonder how the Republican party will react to that. The angry base that hates McCain (Limbaugh et. al) has only talked about how they will support Clinton over McCain, at least as far as I've heard. What have they said about an Obama/McCain match up?

I am concerned about how the Republicans will attack Obama in the general election (and how he will respond), but I'm just wondering if the "fractured" state of the party will allow for a coordianted assault on Obama.

Wait a minute, did I read this right? Obama got a Grammy award? lol.

AP story
VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - Barack Obama could hardly have had a better weekend. On Sunday he added the Maine Democratic presidential caucus to the three contests he swept Saturday against rival Hillary Rodham Clinton, giving him momentum heading into Tuesday's voting in three mid-Atlantic states.

For a cherry on top, he won a Grammy award Sunday, beating former president Bill Clinton and others for "best spoken word album," for the audio version of his book, "The Audacity of Hope."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom