US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread #6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill Clinton should keep his distance from Obama and Axelrod.

They lied about and distorted his record as President.

Hillary should play ball, she's in the Senate

Obama deserves very little if anything from Bill Clinton.

Doesn't justify him denigrating Obama that way, no matter how he thinks his Presidency was being distorted.

Considering the way Bill treated him during the primary, I don't think Obama is crying over the lack of enthusiastic support.

What are you talking about ?

The "hearsay" that some tabloid printed ?

Since that is what was discussed in the previous four or five posts, yes, the same as you were indirectly reacting to that.

Since that is what was discussed in the previous four or five posts, yes, the same as you were indirectly reacting to that.

I read the whole article

not just the "kiss my ass" part

the article is speculation if Clinton ever even said that, it is only a tabloid grabbing headline.

There were several Democratic Candidates running, and they all had the decency to treat Bill Clinton, a popular former Democratic president with the respect he earned.

Only one candidate, with a Rove-style adviser, heading his campaign. sank to distorting and lying about Bill Clinton's record.

How did he treat him?

Pretty dismissively, I thought. I certainly detected a rather obvious lack of respect for a fellow Democratic presidential candidate coming from Bill. Particularly with the Jesse Jackson comment in North(?) Carolina. There were some other comments that just seemed unnecessarily divisive, too.

Only one candidate, with a Rove-style adviser, heading his campaign. sank to distorting and lying about Bill Clinton's record.

Oh give me a freaking break. :lol: Rove-style advisor? Really?? :rolleyes:
You're so completely over the top when it comes to describing Obama that it's laughable.

Pretty dismissively, I thought. I certainly detected a rather obvious lack of respect for a fellow Democratic presidential candidate coming from Bill. Particularly with the Jesse Jackson comment in North(?) Carolina. There were some other comments that just seemed unnecessarily divisive, too.

It was likely that Obama would do well in South Carolina because of the high numbers of Democratic African American voters and to cite Jesse Jacksons 88 and 92 Presidential runs is not racist. Jackson mobilized great numbers of new voters that helped Clinton win in 1992.

It was a fair question. How did Obama do in the some of the neighboring States, the so called Appalachian states?

The lack of respect you detected? Did Edwards get this lack of respect?

Did Edwards say we have to go back to Reagan for a President that united people. Bill Clinton had a popularity rating consistently in the 60+ range? Who was disrespectful?

Oh give me a freaking break. :lol: Rove-style advisor? Really?? :rolleyes:
You're so completely over the top when it comes to describing Obama that it's laughable.

You obviously have not done much looking into how campaigns are run.

Print all the smileys you want
or do a little investigative work. :shrug:

I never said it was racist, I said it was dismissive. When your public reaction to an opponent winning a state is to essentially say "well, some other guy who had no chance of winning won this state before" - I consider that pretty dismissive.

Besides, if we're going to get all specific, I think you can find plenty of instances where the Clintons were just as disrespectful (if not moreso) to Obama. I know Bill is your golden boy, but let's get realistic here.

I read the whole article

the article is speculation if Clinton ever even said that, it is only a tabloid grabbing headline.

There were several Democratic Candidates running, and they all had the decency to treat Bill Clinton, a popular former Democratic president with the respect he earned.

I really hope that's true, i.e. it's a lie. So far I've got a lot of respect for Bill Clinton and really would be very sad and disappointed if he was such a bad loser.

It wasn't like Obama was getting up one day starting to say "Bill Clinton was not the President everyone seems to think he was", at least not as far as I recall, but that Bill Clinton started playing an active role in the election campaign, e.g. with the Jackson remark, which Obama's campaign reacted to.

This primary was pretty much a give and take between Obama and Clinton. If you want to call the one adviser Rove-like, it would only be fair to do the same with the other, though in my opinion both were still lengths away from that person you name there.

You are always blaming Obama supporters of being blinded by their candidate and too biased to see fault with what Obama does or says, yet you are always picking on what Obama does wrong, where he might make a mistake, where he isn't clear enough or where he might be or is contradicting himself or shifting from his positions.
On the other hand, like you say that many Obama supporters aren't addressing those issues I don't recall any incident where you really showed the same objective analysis in regards to one of the Clintons. When the Obama supporters come to defend him, you come to defend the Clintons. That's really confusing for me.

You obviously have not done much looking into how campaigns are run.

Print all the smileys you want
or do a little investigative work. :shrug:

Please, deep. If there is anything that's obvious around here, it's that it's impossible for you to objectively discuss Obama. I wouldn't call it hatred, but you obviously have some extremely strong biases against him. And given some of the angles the Clinton campaign has tried on Obama, I find it laughable that you're trying to point the "Rove" finger squarely at Obama. Were I a more religious man I might refer to removing the log from your eye before helping with the speck in your brother's.*

*Note that I do admit that the Obama campaign responded with jabs in kind to the jabs from the Clinton campaign. Both sides are guilty of... less than lofty campaigning.

I don't recall anyone ever saying McCain would have to kiss their ass before they'd support him.

Also, I don't remember an ex-President of the United States (or anyone with similar standing and influence in the republican party) saying such things about McCain.

You do realize that article is hearsay from a tabloid, right?

The Telegraph is not a tabloid. Nevertheless, without identified sources, who knows.

Then again we have this:

Joe Klein, the author of Primary Colours, a fictionalised account of Mr Clinton's 1992 election, who has known the former president for 20 years, said he also heard that he was "very, very bitter", from people who have spoken with him.

"It's time for him to get over it or go off and do his charitable work. He knows the rules of the road. What's going on now is kind of strange. I think his behaviour is really, really shocking."

I read the whole article

Perhaps Bill Clinton isn't the only one who's bitter? :shrug:

I know if Clinton had won the nomination, I wouldn't be still stewing over it. And I'm supposedly an Obamaniac? Just sayin. . .

New York Times

June 27, 2008
Campaign Memo
For Obama, a Pragmatist’s Shift Toward the Center
By MICHAEL POWELL

Barack Obama has taken a stroll this week away from traditional liberal political positions, his path toward the political center marked by artful leaps and turns.

I've kind of felt that Obama will turn out to be much less liberal than a lot of his supporters think he's going to be. Obviously we expect that in the campaign--the move to the center--but I wouldn't be surprised if he governs that way too. After all this is a guy who has said he wants to have a Lincolnesque "cabinet of rivals", an idea that I really like a lot. It's actually this kind of thinking rather than his inspiring speeches that have made me an Obama admirer. (I think I've only heard him speak, maybe once, though I've read a lot of what he's said).

I think it is wise to have a whole array of viewpoints to access when you govern.

And not that you asked, but I make a distinction between supporters and true believers, so I don't think all of his supporters are looking for something beyond what they see with their eyes wide open. I have respect for a lot of his supporters I know, including you.

seems you've got yourself a pair of presidential kneepads.

(CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama and former President Bill Clinton are expected to meet in the next few days, according to the chairman of Sen. Hillary Clinton's unsuccessful presidential bid.

Terry McAuliffe said the former president was angered by media reports suggesting he bore a grudge against Obama after the sometimes bruising primary campaign and did not plan to actively support Obama in the general election.

"He was angry that these ridiculous stories were out here, and these supposed close friends of the president -- none of the close friends ever got called," McAuliffe said, referring to anonymous sources quoted in some stories. "What happens, a lot of time, is people like to pretend they're close so they can tell the reporters that they're close, but, you know, they're just talking."

McAuliffe said he spoke to Bill Clinton on Sunday morning. The former president recently returned from a trip to Europe.

Obama and Hillary Clinton appeared together Friday in Unity, New Hampshire, where the former first lady said of her ex-rival, "we may have started on different paths ... [but] today our hearts are set on the same destination for America ... to elect Barack Obama as the next president of the United States of America."

The two had met the night before at a gathering of Clinton's biggest political donors, at which Clinton delivered the maximum legal donations to Obama's campaign from herself and her husband, while Obama and his wife, Michelle, donated the maximum to Clinton's campaign -- which remains mired in debt.

But some analysts read bitterness into the fact that Bill Clinton did not appear at either event and had made no personal comments supporting Obama since his wife conceded the nomination. Instead, the former president released a statement through a spokesman saying he "is obviously committed to doing whatever he can and is asked to do" for Obama.

McAuliffe said Bill Clinton merely was waiting in order to avoid taking the public's focus off the joint appearances by Obama and Hillary Clinton.

"Any time that Bill Clinton and Barack Obama speak, it's going to be big news," McAuliffe said. "They wanted this out of the way first. Now that that's over, they will speak. And I'll bet you they speak within the next 24 hours, 48 at the most."

He also joked at rumors that the ex-president remains angry at Obama over the Democratic campaign.

"This man doesn't stay mad," he said. "He can get mad for 24 hours. It's his Irish ancestry."

Wow, it's a trend..

(CNN) — Sen. Joe Lieberman, the Democrat-turned-Independent who is a strong supporter of Republican John McCain's White House bid, suggested Sunday the United States will likely face a terrorist attack in 2009.

The controversial comments followed remarks by top John McCain adviser Charlie Black late last week that a terrorist attack leading up the the general election would probably help the Arizona senator's White House hopes.

"Our enemies will test the new president early," Lieberman told CBS Sunday. "Remember that the truck bombing of the World Trade Center happened in the first year of the Clinton administration. 9/11 happened in the first year of the Bush administration."

McCain and his supporters have long argued the presumptive Republican presidential nominee is better-suited to handle the country's foreign policy challenges than Barack Obama.

"[McCain] knows the world," Lieberman said. "He's been tested. He's ready to protect the security of the American people."

But Lieberman, who served as the Democratic vice presidential nominee in 2000, distanced himself from Black's contention that a terrorist attack would boost McCain's chances of winning the Oval Office.

"Sometimes even the best of them say things that are not what they intended to say," Lieberman said. "Certainly the implications there I know were not what Charlie intended. And he apologized for it. Senator McCain said he didn't agree. And, of course, I feel the same way.

Lieberman, who calls himself an "independent Democrat," endorsed McCain in early December.

Memo to Obama: Moving to the Middle is for Losers
by Arianna Huffington

Last Friday afternoon, the guests taking part in Sunday's roundtable discussion on This Week had a pre-show call with George Stephanopoulos. One of the topics he raised was Obama's perceived move to the center, and what it means. Thus began my weekend obsession. If you were within shouting distance of me, odds are we talked about it. I talked about it over lunch with HuffPost's DC team, over dinner with friends, with the doorman at the hotel, and the driver on the way to the airport.

As part of this process, I looked at the Obama campaign not through the prism of my own progressive views and beliefs but through the prism of a cold-eyed campaign strategist who has no principles except winning. From that point of view, and taking nothing else into consideration, I can unequivocally say: the Obama campaign is making a very serious mistake. Tacking to the center is a losing strategy. And don't let the latest head-to-head poll numbers lull you the way they lulled Hillary Clinton in December.

Running to the middle in an attempt to attract undecided swing voters didn't work for Al Gore in 2000. It didn't work for John Kerry in 2004. And it didn't work when Mark Penn (obsessed with his "microtrends" and missing the megatrend) convinced Hillary Clinton to do it in 2008.

Fixating on -- and pandering to -- this fickle crowd is all about messaging tailored to avoid offending rather than to inspire and galvanize. And isn't galvanizing the electorate to demand fundamental change the raison d'etre of the Obama campaign in the first place? This is how David Axelrod put it at the end of February, contrasting the tired Washington model of "I'll do these things for you" with Obama's "Let's do these things together":

"This has been the premise of Barack's politics all his life, going back to his days as a community organizer," Axelrod told me. "He has really lived and breathed it, which is why it comes across so authentically. Of course, the time also has to be right for the man and the moment to come together. And, after all the country has been through over the last seven years, the times are definitely right for the message that the only way to get real change is to activate the American people to demand it."

Watering down that brand is the political equivalent of New Coke. Call it Obama Zero.

In 2004, the Kerry campaign's obsession with undecided voters -- voters so easily swayed that 46 percent of them found credible the Swift Boaters' charges that Kerry might have faked his war wounds to earn a Purple Heart -- allowed the race to devolve from a referendum on the future of the country into a petty squabble over whether Kerry had bled enough to warrant his medals.

Throughout the primary, Obama referred to himself as an "unlikely candidate." Which he certainly was -- and still is. And one of the things that turned him from "unlikely" upstart to presidential frontrunner is his ability to expand the electorate by convincing unlikely voters -- some of the 83 million eligible voters who didn't turn out in 2004 -- to engage in the system.

So why start playing to the political fence sitters -- staking out newly nuanced positions on FISA, gun control laws, expansion of the death penalty, and NAFTA?

In an interview with Nina Easton in Fortune Magazine, Obama was asked about having called NAFTA "a big mistake" and "devastating." Obama's reply: "Sometimes during campaigns the rhetoric gets overheated and amplified."

Overheated? So when he was campaigning in the Midwest, many parts of which have been, yes, devastated by economic changes since the passage of NAFTA, and he pledged to make use of a six-month opt-out clause in the trade agreement, that was "overheated?" Or was that one "amplified?"

Because if that's the case, it would be helpful going forward if Obama would let us know which of his powerful rhetoric is "overheated" and/or "amplified," so voters will know not to get their hopes too high.

When Obama kneecaps his own rhetoric and dilutes his positioning as a different kind of politician, he is also giving his opponent a huge opening to reassert the McCain as Maverick brand. We know that McCain has completely abandoned any legitimate claim on his maverick image, but the echoes of that reputation are still very much with us -- especially among many in the media who would love nothing more than to be able to once again portray McCain as the real leader they fell in love with in 2000. And the new Straight Talk Express plane has been modeled on its namesake bus, decked out to better recreate the seduction.

The transition between the primaries and the general election -- and from insurgent to frontrunner -- is tricky. Even a confident campaign can be knocked off course. So this is when Obama most needs to remember what got him to this point -- and stick with it.

In a Los Angeles Times article detailing Obama's attempts at "shifting toward the center," Matt Bennett of the centrist think tank Third Way says that Obama is a "good politician. He's doing all he can to make sure people know he would govern as a post-partisan moderate."

But isn't being a "good politician" as it's meant here exactly what Obama defined himself as being against? Instead of Third Way think tankers, Obama should listen to this guy:

"What's stopped us is the failure of leadership, the smallness of our politics -- the ease with which we're distracted by the petty and trivial, our chronic avoidance of tough decisions, our preference for scoring cheap political points instead of rolling up our sleeves and building a working consensus to tackle big problems.... The time for that politics is over. It's time to turn the page."

That was Barack Obama in February of 2007, announcing his run for the White House. "I know I haven't spent a lot of time learning the ways of Washington," he said that day, "but I've been there long enough to know that the ways of Washington must change."

Was that just "overheated and amplified" rhetoric?

The Obama brand has always been about inspiration, a new kind of politics, the audacity of hope, and "change we can believe in." I like that brand. More importantly, voters -- especially unlikely voters -- like that brand.

Pulling it off the shelf and replacing it with a political product geared to pleasing America's vacillating swing voters -- the ones who will be most susceptible to the fear-mongering avalanche that has already begun -- would be a fatal blunder.

Realpolitik is one thing. Realstupidpolitik is quite another.

I expect to see some flip-flopping on the issue of religious pandering over this
Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama promised a more active approach to faith-based social programs on Tuesday in a bid to bolster his support among evangelical and religious voters.

Obama visited a community ministry in a conservative region of the election battleground state of Ohio to unveil a plan to reinvigorate faith-based community programs first pioneered by President George W. Bush.

The Illinois senator, who will face Republican John McCain in November's presidential election, said he would put more money and emphasis on strengthening the link between government and community faith programs.

"The fact is, the challenges we face today -- from saving our planet to ending poverty -- are simply too big for government to solve alone," Obama said. "We need an all-hands-on-deck approach."

McCain and Obama are gearing up for a pitched battle for evangelical support in November's election. Neither candidate has inspired strong enthusiasm in the religious community, normally a core Republican bloc.

Most polls show McCain beating Obama by 3-to-1 or more among evangelicals, but Obama hopes to do better among the group than Democrat John Kerry did in 2004, when Bush won four of every five evangelicals.

Obama has been hindered by the controversy about the incendiary comments of his former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, and by false Internet rumours that he is a Muslim, as well as Internet whisper campaigns about his patriotism.

But Obama hopes growing concerns among evangelicals about issues like global warming and poverty, and unhappiness with the war and the leadership of Bush and Republicans, give him an opening to court an electorate that accounted for more than 20 percent of voters in 2004.
Obama courts evangelicals with stress on faith | Reuters

Faith is not a virtue, I like it when politicians of all stripes get called on their pandering.

Have you read his books? He has been absolutely consistent on this point. You may disagree with faith-based initiatives, I may disagree with them but I believe he genuinely believes in them and has always been an advocate. It's disingenuous to call it pandering.

Have you read his books?

Have you read my book?

to borrow one of your phases

"For fucks sake"

it is pandering, some might call it smart campaigning :shrug:

"The fact is, the challenges we face today -- from saving our planet to ending poverty -- are simply too big for government to solve alone," Obama said. "We need an all-hands-on-deck approach."

This is just plain old nonsense.
So without taxpayer money, churches who are tax exempt, and have tons of money will not help the poor?

and again, with our huge deficits, do we need to give money to Churches

these things that "are simply too big for government to solve" will get solved with less money available?

I ask you again, HAVE YOU READ HIS BOOKS?

He has talked about these sorts of faith-based initiatives at great detail long before he ran for president. He has also extensively talked about the need for the left to engage in a faith debate so as to not needlessly surrender all those voters to the Republicans by default. I don't think this is pandering, I think he truly and honestly believes that there is value in these tax initiatives.

Do I think there is value in them? I have no idea, but I'm not a huge fan of this sort of thing in principle. I wouldn't support it but I also don't live in a country where this is any kind of an election issue so I chalk this up to another one of those American quirks that the rest of the Western world just doesn't get.

deep what really bugs me is that your over the top, histrionic reactions to just about every single thing about Obama makes me really just want to skip over your posts. Because they read like a hell of a lot of outrage for the sake of being outraged and little substance to boot. I've articulated a number of times what things I disagreed with him on. This tax thing is one. I also said multiple times (and was one of the only people here to do so, I might add) that Hillary's healthcare plan was better than his was. I have no problem criticizing Obama, I'm not some moron groupie. But I really always respected and appreciated your posts. It's just that lately, they've lapsed into a hysteria that I honestly don't comprehend at all. It could be that there is something thought-provoking in them, but frankly, I don't have enough hours in a day to bother and cut through your "the sky is falling because of Obama" routine.

Have you read his books? He has been absolutely consistent on this point. You may disagree with faith-based initiatives, I may disagree with them but I believe he genuinely believes in them and has always been an advocate. It's disingenuous to call it pandering.
It doesn't matter if he sincerely believes in faith-based initiatives, it doesn't even matter if they work better than other programs, all that matters is that funneling public funds to religious groups goes against what I consider the intent of a secularism. Religious charity should be funded from private donation not taxpayers money and I don't care if it is from the bigoted right-wing the feel good centre-left: it's wrong in principle.

Are people so forgiving of George W. Bush's infusion of religiousity into politics? Or is his public faith somehow more insincere than someone that comes into a religious community as an adult and benefits from those connections (until of course that Church becomes a liability).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom