US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread #6 - Page 66 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2008, 09:06 PM   #976
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2democrat View Post
That's what I suggested to a coworker the other day...coverage of Obama is likely to get more ratings than McCain, and in this capitalist society that's what the media would cover, naturally. Also that more coverage does NOT equal favorable coverage, rather it gives Obama less wiggle room with mistakes and McCain more.

it's been astonishing the gaffes and contradictions and factual inaccuracies that have come out of McCain's mouth this past week that have gotten no airtime.

and don't think that the network anchors weren't following Obama around the globe last week as much to catch him screwing up as for any other reason.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:56 AM   #977
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:29 AM
Channeling W

YouTube - Obama lost without a teleprompter

Old 07-28-2008, 08:13 AM   #978
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:29 AM
This is why I, when I hold presentations, refuse to rely on any cards or other notes. When you have prepared a certain speech and something goes wrong or you lose a line you stand there stumbling and not making any sense at all.
On the other hand, I guess as a politician holding a speech you need it in some way to be prepared, and here you see what happens when he doesn't put in the effort to also learn it by heart.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #979
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:29 AM
If we're posting things like that, someone should find the video of McCain with the Dali Lama reading his statement off a folded piece of paper.

Come on, you're standing there with the Dali Lama and you can't say a few words off the top of your head?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #980
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

That's something I don't understand with so many politicians and other people regularly speeking in front of crowds. The easiest sentences they need to have on a piece of paper and even read them out instead of just having it as security.
A few weeks ago in Uni we had a panel discussion and the director introducing the panel read each single sentence from a sheet of paper. Even the "Thank you for attending and enjoy the discussion" he read from the paper, hence his intonation was awful.
How can you become a director of a university and not even being able to just say "Thank you"?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:43 AM   #981
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I don't think it's a mystery that Obama is lost without a teleprompter. If he's not reading it off a screen, or if someone is telling him exactly what to say beforehand, he doesn't know what the heck he's talking about. He can't put two words together. That's why I'm looking forward tremendously to the debates.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:48 AM   #982
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
He can't put two words together.
You've now hit the peak of absurdity.

There are dozens of things you could legitimately criticize Obama for, but this is just so silly that it makes most sentient people not even want to debate with you. And from a Bush voter on top of it all, for extra bonus points.

Honestly.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:58 AM   #983
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
I don't think it's a mystery that Obama is lost without a teleprompter. If he's not reading it off a screen, or if someone is telling him exactly what to say beforehand, he doesn't know what the heck he's talking about. He can't put two words together. That's why I'm looking forward tremendously to the debates.
Just as Anitram stated this is just absurd. People have off days, Obama has more than proven himself as an eloquent unscripted speaker.

If you are looking forward to the debates then you are either delusional or have just drank the kool-aid way too soon in life.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:16 AM   #984
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post

There are dozens of things you could legitimately criticize Obama for,
Bullcrap. Can I have an example? I have yet to see you criticize him, and everyone in here has tossed aside ANY criticism of him, whether it be inexperience, his left-wing policies, his anti-American buddies, his arrogance... I could go on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
And from a Bush voter on top of it all, for extra bonus points.
That's exactly it. People harp all over the President for not being the best speaker, yet they seem not to care when Obama frequently messes up. Why the inconsistency?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #985
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Obama has more than proven himself as an eloquent unscripted speaker.
Can you give me some examples?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
If you are looking forward to the debates then you are either delusional or have just drank the kool-aid way too soon in life.

I could say the same thing about you and others who have said Obama is going to win this in a landslide.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:17 AM   #986
Blue Crack Addict

I want one

Oops! Wrong Larry shown on Idaho campaign buttons

12 hours ago

LEWISTON, Idaho (AP) — Some Democratic campaign buttons made for distribution in Idaho show an unlikely pair: Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama and Republican Sen. Larry Craig.

But don't expect the staunch Republican to throw his support behind Obama or for the presidential candidate to ask Craig to change his mind and run for Senate again. Apparently the button manufacturer picked a picture of the wrong Idaho Larry.

The 3-inch button by Tigereye Design was intended to show Obama beside Larry LaRocco, the Democratic candidate for U.S. Senate, the Lewiston Tribune reported.

Craig is not seeking re-election following his arrest in a Minnesota airport restroom sex sting.

The buttons weren't ordered by the LaRocco campaign, said Dean Ferguson, LaRocco's communications director. They appear to have been produced by a commercial firm that makes campaign memorabilia involving Democratic races around the country, he said.

"That sounds like it's going to be a collector's item," Ferguson said. "I'm sure Sen. Obama appreciates Sen. Craig's support."

Bill Hall, editor emeritus of the Tribune's editorial page, said he bought 10 from the company's Web site before they were withdrawn and fixed. The Obama-Craig buttons are no longer available for purchase.

"I realized it was a mistake, like finding a coin that's been damaged in the making, so I quickly ordered 10 of them," Hall said.

Neither officials with Tigereye Design nor Craig's office could immediately be reached for comment Sunday.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #987
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Did you watch any of the numerous primary debates?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:22 AM   #988
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Bullcrap. Can I have an example? I have yet to see you criticize him, and everyone in here has tossed aside ANY criticism of him, whether it be inexperience, his left-wing policies, his anti-American buddies, his arrogance... I could go on.
Sure you can. I've posted more than once here that I was not particularly impressed with his healthcare plan. Even though I am glad he won the primary, I think Hillary's plan was the better and more comprehensive one (although I wish she'd stuck to some of the ideas/policies she had back in the early-mid 90s, but for practical reasons I understand why she had to water it down). Most people here disagreed with me and preferred his plan. I also disagree with him on the issue of gay marriage and think his position on it is lame. There are unfortunately very, very few politicians in your country who do not treat gays and lesbians like something other than equally participatory members of your society. While there are some things I've liked about Obama regarding gay rights (particularly his speeches to the African American community), his political stances leave a lot to be desired.

I don't think he's left-wing at all, so I'm not sure why I'd criticize left-wing policies. I don't even get the feeling he's particularly left-wing by American standards (for example, on the issues of gay marriage, gun control and FISA). What anti-American buddies are you talking about, exactly?
Old 07-28-2008, 10:26 AM   #989
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
It might come as a shock to you, but not everyone is opposed to "left-wing policies".

And in contrast to Bush Obama has proven the intellectual ability of holding great speeches, preparing them himself and being a knowledgeable debater. That is why he gets more of a free ride as Bush.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:28 AM   #990
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:29 PM
Quote:
Did you watch any of the debates? Have you seen any other town hall meetings?

Have you seen any other evidence of his not being able to speak other than this clip and the one from Rush last week?