US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread #6 - Page 63 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-25-2008, 11:36 AM   #931
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:07 AM
Quote:
[Pentagon Confirms That It Told Obama He Couldn't Visit Army Base With Campaign Staff

By Greg Sargent - July 25, 2008, 11:13AM

I've just gotten clarification from the Pentagon on what really happened with regard to Barack Obama's canceled visit to an Army base in Germany, something the McCain campaign has been using to hit Obama since yesterday.

A Pentagon spokesperson confirms to me that because of longstanding Department of Defense regulations, Pentagon officials told Obama aides that he couldn't visit the base with campaign staff. This left Obama with little choice but to cancel the trip, since the plan to visit with campaign aides had been in the works for weeks.

The Obama campaign yesterday announced that it had decided to cancel the visit to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, saying that it would be "inappropriate" to make such a visit as part of a campaign trip.

The McCain camp has nonetheless been using Obama's canceled trip to insinuate that he's anti-troops. "Barack Obama is wrong," McCain spokesperson Brian Rogers said in a statement yesterday. "It is never 'inappropriate' to visit our men and women in the military."

But it turns out that the Pentagon did in fact tell Obama that in this case, it was not only "inappropriate," but against DOD rules, for him to conduct the visit with campaign staff.

"We have longstanding Department of Defense policy in regards to political campaigns and elections," Pentagon spokesperson Elizabeth Hibner told me. "We informed the Obama staff that he was more than welcome to visit as Senator Obama, with Senate staff. However, he could not conduct the visit with campaign staff."

After being told this, the Obama campaign announced yesterday that it had decided it was "inappropriate" to make the visit as part of a campaign trip.

It's unclear how Obama could have made the visit at all, given the Pentagon's directives. No Senate staff was on the trip, and the Obama camp says they received the Pentagon's directives on Wednesday, after they were already abroad.

either way, it just goes to show that Obama hates the troops.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #932
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:07 PM
I just wonder how his campaign could drop the ball on that one, it must need an army of followers to spin it on the interweb.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:52 AM   #933
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
I just wonder how his campaign could drop the ball on that one, it must need an army of followers to spin it on the interweb.

or to whine about how "unfair" all this coverage is.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:17 PM   #934
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the input.

I would like to know what is wrong with talking about American exceptionalism? I hear Ronald Reagan talk about America, and then I hear the Messiah talk about America, and it's two completely different things. I've heard Obama (and wife), and McCain to a lesser extent, say far more negative things about America than positive things. I'm sorry, but to me he seems to be running a campaign more in line with "America is deficient. America sucks" than he is with a shining city on a hill. I know the rest of the world loves hearing how America sucks, which is part of why he is so popular over there, but I don't.

so you prefer something like this:

Old 07-25-2008, 12:22 PM   #935
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
or to whine about how "unfair" all this coverage is.
No, apparently they just silence dissent with the race card.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:28 PM   #936
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
No, apparently they just silence dissent with the race card.

preferable to the "you're a traitor/you hate America/you want us to lose" cards?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #937
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:07 AM
Just a suggestion and feel free to ignore it, but maybe we could start another Iraq debate thread and continue discussion about that topic there so that it becomes more clear again?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #938
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Obama went to and intentionally used the Holy Lands, the Temple Mount, for photo opportunities for his campaign.

Was it savvy political judgment?

I think it was poor taste.

Canceled a trip to wounded troops in Germany, not a good a photo op ?
Exactly. As soon as Obama learned that he couldn't bring cameras in to see the troops, he decided to bypass them and go workout at the Ritz. He didn't want to see the troops. He wanted a photo op with the troops.

Character matters. And he is losing.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #939
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Exactly. As soon as Obama learned that he couldn't bring cameras in to see the troops, he decided to bypass them and go workout at the Ritz. He didn't want to see the troops. He wanted a photo op with the troops.

Character matters. And he is losing.
Have you not read the explanation? He wasn't allowed. But feel free to ignore...
Old 07-25-2008, 12:55 PM   #940
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Uh... Uh... Uh... By the... uh... way.... uh... has... uh... anyone heard the... uh.. uhh... uhh... bytes of... uh... the Messiah... who uh... seems lost in search of... uh... uhh... a coherent thought?

"Uh, uh, are, uh, uh, uh, um. That's -- that's a bunch -- so -- so let me tick these off. Deh... Uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, um, uh. So the issue is not a perception that, uh... Weh, weh, let me put it this way. Uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, uh, We're -- we're trying to -- you know, we've got a bipartisan group here and -- and -- and, uh, uh, uh, uh, um, uh, uh, uh"

It's probably on youtube. I'll look for it.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #941
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Yeah Rush harped on that for hours the other day... Ironic, don't you think?
Old 07-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #942
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Have you not read the explanation? He wasn't allowed. But feel free to ignore...
He wasn't allowed to with campaign staff. He still could have gone.

By the way, I thought he wasn't a presidential candidate anyways. That's what he said yesterday.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:00 PM   #943
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

what?
Old 07-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #944
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

From what I gather, it's not that he wasn't allowed to go. It's that he couldn't bring staff and press with him. I don't see why he couldn't have gone by himself.

"I speak to you not as a candidate for President, but as a citizen."
Old 07-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #945
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman told reporters later Friday the Pentagon did not explicitly say Obama should not visit the base, but was concerned with whether his capacity there would be one of a presidential candidate, not a senator.

"We do have certain policy guidelines for political campaigns and elections. And what is appropriate and what is not appropriate in those situations. But the Pentagon certainly did not tell the senator that he could not visit Landstuhl," Whitman said.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...t-to-hospital/