US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread #6 - Page 33 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2008, 12:07 PM   #481
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Cute.

Does Obama wants us to learn Spanish to accomodate the illegals who will never learn English? Kinda sounds that way.

I think you may want to listen to it again, that's not what he said by a long shot.

Our country is by far extremely ignorant when it comes to knowing second languages.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #482
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
I saw this on TV last night, I think it was MSNBC

Think Progress Librarian with ‘McCain=Bush’ sign charged with trespassing at public campaign event.

Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) was in Denver, CO, today for a town hall meeting. The event, at the Denver Center for the Performing Arts, was billed as “open to the public.” Yet Carol Kreck, a 61-year-old librarian carrying a “McCain=Bush” sign, was taken away by police for trespassing. A police officer told Kreck:

"You have two choices. You can keep your sign here and receive a ticket for trespassing, or you can remove the sign and stay in line and attend this town hall meeting."

Kreck received a ticket for trespassing and her court date is July 23. McCain has apparently taken a page from the Bush playbook. In 2005, the White House had three activists expelled from a Denver public forum with President Bush because it was the administration’s policy “to exclude potentially disruptive guests from Bush’s appearances nationwide.”

Video

YouTube - John McCain Kicks Librarian Out of Town Hall Event
WOW, just WOW... McCain is such a maverick.

She asks a great question at the end of the video. I would love to hear someone try and defend this...

Old 07-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #483
Refugee

Local Time: 05:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Did anyone here claim that?

No?

Didn't think so.

You keep including Barack Obama "and the Democrats" as if "the Democrats" are all of one mind and one opinion. That's rather short-sighted.
Actually, someone essentially did just that.

How does Barack Obama and many Democrats sound?

Hey check out this add, its called Barack Obama: Change That Works For Him. It deals with his position on Iraq and the Surge.

YouTube - Obama's Iraq Problem: Change That Works For Him
Old 07-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #484
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Barack Obama wants us all to learn Spanish.

YouTube - Barack Obama: Your Children Should Learn To Speak Spanish

This guy is such an idiot. Note how very few people behind him applauded.

Man, we are on SUCH different pages. I watched that video and thought it was GREAT! He's right on target!

Perhaps you would like to make the case for why it's "idiotic" for your child to be bilingual? I'd be interested to hear the arguments. . .
Old 07-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #485
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post

Man, we are on SUCH different pages. I watched that video and thought it was GREAT! He's right on target!

Perhaps you would like to make the case for why it's "idiotic" for your child to be bilingual? I'd be interested to hear the arguments. . .
Apparently because if you are Spanish you are an Illegal. At least that was the response I got.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:24 PM   #486
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Actually, someone essentially did just that.

How does Barack Obama and many Democrats sound?

Hey check out this add, its called Barack Obama: Change That Works For Him. It deals with his position on Iraq and the Surge.

YouTube - Obama's Iraq Problem: Change That Works For Him

And now commercials are "evidence"?
Old 07-09-2008, 06:29 PM   #487
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by maycocksean View Post

Well Rush and others attacked this soundbyte on radio, so it's already been twisted. Many didn't even get a chance to think about it for themselves...
Old 07-09-2008, 06:33 PM   #488
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Well Rush and others attacked this soundbyte on radio, so it's already been twisted. Many didn't even get a chance to think about it for themselves...
Why am I not surprised. . .

The sad thing is, there's nothing wrong with what he said, even taken as a "soundbyte". That people would take the phrase "our children should learn Spanish" and think this something to get angry about is. . .just beyond me. I fear for our country if people like this were ever able to call all the shots. . .
Old 07-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #489
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:12 PM
Heck, I wish I'd taken Spanish in school, as opposed to German. Spanish would have been loads more useful.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #490
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
And now commercials are "evidence"? :LOL:
Hey, Obama is on the record as saying that the Surge would make the violence in Iraq WORSE!
Old 07-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #491
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:12 PM
Your point being, both candidates have to deal with the reality and a sovereign Iraq free from fascist dictatorship or nihilistic terrorism that demands US troops out is a good thing. That each candidate will probably remove the bulk of combat troops is good and no amount of electioneering can change that.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #492
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
Your point being, both candidates have to deal with the reality and a sovereign Iraq free from fascist dictatorship or nihilistic terrorism that demands US troops out is a good thing. That each candidate will probably remove the bulk of combat troops is good and no amount of electioneering can change that.

The point is that the United States has vital security interest at stake here and it would be a mistake to begin withdrawing troops prior to insuring that those interest would not be endangered with any type of withdrawal. Iraq and the United States are working on what is called a status of forces agreement which may include a timetable for withdrawal that has as a prequisite continued progress and stability on the ground. The Iraqi idea is that once the Iraqi military assumes security responsibility in all 18 provinces(they handle that in 9 at the moment), US forces will withdraw from the cities. Then, over the next 3 to 5 years, US troops would remain in the country with the security and development situation reviewed every 6 months and changes made based on the situation on the ground. So this is far away from Barack Obama and many Democrats insistence on a withdrawal with no prerequisites for Iraq's successful development and stability prior to such a withdrawal. Its a continuation of the Bush administrations basic plan on Iraq, "as they stand up, will stand down". It definitely is a good thing and shows that the Presidents policies are working. But McCain and the Iraqi government have as a prerequisite to any future withdrawal, the stability of Iraq. Obama has not had such a prerequisite as apart of his withdrawal plans. Under McCain, provided that progress and growing stability continue in Iraq, US Combat brigades will gradually be withdrawn. Under Obama, the United States would begin withdrawing combat brigades immediately without any prerequisites for Iraqi stability and development.

The same process is under way in Afghanistan, although the Afghan military and government have a much longer way to go than the Iraqi's. When the United States and NATO can eventually remove the bulk of their combat forces there will also be a good thing.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #493
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:12 PM
Obama is a politician, he has proven that he is happy to throw leftists under the bus for political gain and I doubt that would change if elected. Provided that violence in Iraq has actually been curtailed by the Anbar awakening and the militias are actually broken I don't see how a result based phased withdrawal is a bad thing.

Obama will not win on a "defeat-o-crat" platform and I doubt that he has any need to appease the netroots that you take as a representative sample of his support.

McCain and Obama seem much of a muchness no matter how much each camp spins the other, that is a good thing.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:02 PM   #494
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:12 PM
Holy crow, we can imbed videos in our posts now?

That was quick - I take myself out to an early dinner, and when I come back, all the recent links have become videos!
Old 07-09-2008, 11:40 PM   #495
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
Obama is a politician, he has proven that he is happy to throw leftists under the bus for political gain and I doubt that would change if elected. Provided that violence in Iraq has actually been curtailed by the Anbar awakening and the militias are actually broken I don't see how a result based phased withdrawal is a bad thing.

Obama will not win on a "defeat-o-crat" platform and I doubt that he has any need to appease the netroots that you take as a representative sample of his support.

McCain and Obama seem much of a muchness no matter how much each camp spins the other, that is a good thing.
The Surge in US forces and the counterinsurgency tactics used have dramatically curtailed violence in the country. The Iraqi military is vastly improved from where it was 2 years ago and if the Police force can start to make the same rate of progress and violence continues to drop or at least be low and managable then a gradual withdrawal of US forces can begin and continue as long as progress continues to be made.

Its true that the far left of the Democratic party has nowhere else to go come election time, its the independents and conservative Democrats that Obama needs to worry about. Obama has been way off the mark when it comes to deciding the best course to pursue in Iraq over the past 18 months and this is something that the McCain campaign should be reminding voters everywhere.