US 2008 Presidential Campaign/Debate Discussion Thread #6 - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2008, 06:19 PM   #151
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
More liberal hypocrisy. When Republicans say something like that, its offensive, yet the woman herself refers to her husband as her baby's daddy, and there is no uproar.
Please, please, please stop listening to Rush it's affecting your judgement.

You can't honestly tell me you don't see the difference?!

This post should be really quite embarassing for you given that it was posted right after stating liberals don't talk about the issues.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #152
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Liberals lose when they talk about the issues?

Ok, let's do talk about the issues, let me know when you are ready?

There is a BIG difference between these ads and the actual VP promising a terrorist attack if they aren't re-elected. Even you have to be able to see the difference.
No thanks. That was never the intention of that post. However, based on sentences like this...

Quote:
... I'd be more than happy to help you with your grammar.

Well then, what do you think of the messages in that video saying that Republicans don't care about AIDS (despite the current president doing more for AIDS worldwide than any other), breast cancer, and the other ridiculous claims in those two videos? What do you think of that dopey mother, who seems unaware that her son, when grown, may choose to join the military and want to serve in Iraq? Do you think videos like this (remember, organizations like MoveOn are producing similar ads and videos by the dozens) are honest? Do they help? These videos are laughable. I really don't understand how the actors kept a straight face. Even they must have known what nonsense they were creating.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #153
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

You can't honestly tell me you don't see the difference?!
I wish I knew why Michelle can use the phrase no problem, yet a 10 second banner on a news network is getting so much attention.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #154
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:58 PM
Quote:
Laura Bush told ABC last week the remarks must have been misinterpreted.

"I think she probably meant 'I'm more proud,'" said the first lady, adding that "you have to be very careful in what you say" when you’re campaigning.

"That's one of the things you learn and that's one of the really difficult parts both of running for president, and for being the spouse of the president, and that is everything you say is looked and in many cases misconstrued."

Obama said Wednesday she had sent The First Lady a note that took her “a while” to write, but wouldn’t divulge any details because she didn’t know whether it had been received yet.
" a note that took her “a while” to write"?

How many re-writes did it take to write:

"For the second time in my life. You have made me proud of my country"?
Old 06-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #155
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I wish I knew why Michelle can use the phrase no problem, yet a 10 second banner on a news network is getting so much attention.

You're kidding right? You still don't see the difference?

You think if a blind person makes a joke about being blind, that you have the right to make the same joke? It's different when it's yourself, you have to be able to see the difference. If not, I can't help you.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:23 PM   #156
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Well then, what do you think of the messages in that video saying that Republicans don't care about AIDS (despite the current president doing more for AIDS worldwide than any other), breast cancer, and the other ridiculous claims in those two videos? What do you think of that dopey mother, who seems unaware that her son, when grown, may choose to join the military and want to serve in Iraq? Do you think videos like this (remember, organizations like MoveOn are producing similar ads and videos by the dozens) are honest? Do they help? These videos are laughable. I really don't understand how the actors kept a straight face. Even they must have known what nonsense they were creating.
I actually thought the Alex one was pretty creative.

The other one had it's moments. Hyperbole isn't your strong suit, I know.

What do you think about the ad posted in here that was actually paid for by McCain showing Ahmadinejad side by side with Obama?
Old 06-18-2008, 07:31 PM   #157
Refugee

Local Time: 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
since you're willing to believe polls in June, here's one for you:

and the fact remains that the only reason that McCain is even viable is because of the great lengths he's gone to separate himself from President Bush, even if the substance doesn't support his claims (though we can think back to the days when McCain was thinking about becoming a Democrat). there was never any question in my mind that McCain was the only viable Republican candidate, and the party wisely did the right thing and nominated the only candidate who would have a fighting chance against the Dems.

but when it comes to Congress, the Republicans are posed for heavy, heavy losses in both houses due to the abject failure of the Bush presidency. even of Obama should somehow lose, McCain will have to work will a Democratic House and Senate.
There is no one here that has put more faith in polls than you. You claimed that the new polls showing McCain 6 points behind after Obama won the nomination would only grow larger as time went on, and would never get any closer than that. But, 3 days later, Obama's lead was cut in half.

In addition, you should take anything from Quinnipiac University polling with a grain of salt.

McCain has always been his own person with views different from Bush but has NEVER seperated himself from Bush on the necessity of removing Saddam from power. Unlike Obama, he is never going to claim that the world would be a safer or better place with Saddam still in power in Iraq. He also supports only withdrawing from Iraq when conditions on the ground warrent it, not because of a silly campaign promise or simply yanking troops out without any consideration for the damage that could cause.

Ironically, you hear more about Obama labling McCain as Bush than you do about McCain distinguishing himself from Bush. When Obama actually gets into specifics, something he rarely does, he talks about the past, while McCain talks about the future.

McCain has a long history of working with Democrats in the Senate, but as the past two years of shown and certainly the Reagan/Bush Sr. years showed, the President does not need for his party to have a majority in the House and Senate to get what he wants.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:34 PM   #158
Refugee

Quote:
Liberals lose when they talk about the issues?

There is a BIG difference between these ads and the actual VP promising a terrorist attack if they aren't re-elected. Even you have to be able to see the difference.
All elections are essentially won and lost on the issues. Its only the losers who claim otherwise.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:20 PM   #159
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
All elections are essentially won and lost on the issues. Its only the losers who claim otherwise.
I do admire your rose colored view of voters.

I could think of a lot of examples where this isn't exactly true, but like I said I do admire this kind of optimism.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:24 PM   #160
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:58 PM
Quote:
I do admire your rose colored view of voters.

I could think of a lot of examples where this isn't exactly true, but like I said I do admire this kind of optimism.

sounds kind of odd coming from you
with your support for Obama, and his success over Hillary
Old 06-18-2008, 08:59 PM   #161
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
sounds kind of odd coming from you
with your support for Obama, and his success over Hillary
What does Obama and Hillary have to do with this? I'm just being honest, history has shown that not all elections are won based on the issues.
Old 06-18-2008, 09:14 PM   #162
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:58 AM
Can we not discuss campaign politics without constant fits of melodramatic indignation and catty sarcasm?

Is it not possible to introduce a new story without overwrought asides to the effect that This!! reveals the deeply sinister, treacherous true face of [liberalism, conservatism, Fox News, MoveOn, McCain, Obama etc. etc. etc.]?

Is it not possible to tell someone you find their arguments unreasonable without ridiculing them?

These threads make me want to put needles through my eyeballs, and we've got more than four months to go yet.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 06-18-2008, 11:33 PM   #163
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
There is no one here that has put more faith in polls than you. You claimed that the new polls showing McCain 6 points behind after Obama won the nomination would only grow larger as time went on, and would never get any closer than that. But, 3 days later, Obama's lead was cut in half.

Sting, grow up. i have said, REPEATEDLY, that polls are worthless at this stage in the game. good gosh, i made an off-the-cuff prediction, with the knowledge that, yes, things change. i know you're desperate for some kind of gotcha! moment, but it just makes you look even more silly and foolish than you normally do.

[q]In addition, you should take anything from Quinnipiac University polling with a grain of salt.[/q]

we'll take your word for it!

in the future, the only polls i'll trust are the ones quoted in sensationalistic news articles by ABC's Jake Trapper that make the race look closer than it actually is.

Quote:
McCain has always been his own person with views different from Bush but has NEVER seperated himself from Bush on the necessity of removing Saddam from power. Unlike Obama, he is never going to claim that the world would be a safer or better place with Saddam still in power in Iraq. He also supports only withdrawing from Iraq when conditions on the ground warrent it, not because of a silly campaign promise or simply yanking troops out without any consideration for the damage that could cause.

Ironically, you hear more about Obama labling McCain as Bush than you do about McCain distinguishing himself from Bush. When Obama actually gets into specifics, something he rarely does, he talks about the past, while McCain talks about the future.

McCain has a long history of working with Democrats in the Senate, but as the past two years of shown and certainly the Reagan/Bush Sr. years showed, the President does not need for his party to have a majority in the House and Senate to get what he wants.

i don't know what this has to do with anything. you continue to write half-baked generalities and treat your own self-serving misimpressions as if they were facts. you are absolutely no more credible than Michelle Malkin, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Sean Hannity or any other individual who makes a living off of a conservative publishing industry that banks on selling such deceptions to a naive public.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:37 PM   #164
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Can we not discuss campaign politics without constant fits of melodramatic indignation and catty sarcasm?

Is it not possible to introduce a new story without overwrought asides to the effect that This!! reveals the deeply sinister, treacherous true face of [liberalism, conservatism, Fox News, MoveOn, McCain, Obama etc. etc. etc.]?

Is it not possible to tell someone you find their arguments unreasonable without ridiculing them?

These threads make me want to put needles through my eyeballs, and we've got more than four months to go yet.

while i totally understand what you are getting at, i think this thread is yet another example of certain conservative posters baiting liberal posters, and then these are the same posters who will sob about some sort of biased, gang-bang, coordinated liberal effort to "silence" their voices because they don't like dissent.

how am i supposed to respond to a post that says, "no one believes in polls more than you" when this is not only not true, but a direct contradiction of what i've said, and intended to do nothing other than pathetically try to set up some sort of zing! moment? how does one respond to a post designed to incite and antagonize without withering sarcasm?

i'm really at a loss here. i held my tongue at some of the posts, but when it's directed at me, just how can we reasonably expect someone to take the high road?
Old 06-18-2008, 11:45 PM   #165
Refugee

Very interesting.