US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8 - Page 66 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2008, 06:16 PM   #976
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Local Time: 04:39 PM
^ good one

Old 09-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #977
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:39 PM

Old 09-18-2008, 06:21 PM   #978
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
you know what STING? you need to grow up. you need to stop putting words in people's mouths and you need to stop twisting thoughts, speculation, and theories into fist-shaking declarations.

if you want to spin old posts that contain guesses and speculation and turn them into whatever you need to do to make yourself feel better, you just go ahead and do so. it's only going to add to the consensus that, 1) you're dishonest, and 2) you're every bit the troll that most people who ignore you already think you are.
we´ ve really moved on haven´t we? 5 years ago the same tone towards Sting would have meant something like: "Dear whenhiphopdrovethebigcars, could you please be a little less hostile towards blah someone anonymous has complained to King Elvis, no personal remarks, join the Spanish Inquisition" type of mail in my PM inbox..
Old 09-18-2008, 06:28 PM   #979
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Are you sure?
They are the only ones with the hope I can see militarily that can keep dictators from going to town on their neighbors. Europe, Canada, South America don't seem to be in the game or are willing to stop bullies.

If Obama wins he says he will talk to Iran without preconditions. Yikes!

Nancy Pelosi already asked Syria and Iran to help the U.S. to get out of Iraq. Yikes!

If they win the bullies of the world will be happy.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #980
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Uh, yeah, that's why we're in the hole we're in...

Well this should always be the goal.

Not sure what you mean by this...

Um yeah, and world peace would be nice...
Yes. That's why we are in the hole we are in. Don't overspend on social programs unless you intend to increase taxes. The government likes to use debt as a way to keep taxes as they are while increasing spending. They like to have their cake and eat it too.

On the military question I was saying that attacking the Bush Administration for spending money on military seems to ignore the fact that U.S. military is a necessity to keep the freedoms we have (including NATO).

Cut military down to a bare minimum only when there is no threat in the world. Of course that means not in our lifetimes.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:32 PM   #981
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleoscar View Post
They are the only ones with the hope I can see militarily that can keep dictators from going to town on their neighbors. Europe, Canada, South America don't seem to be in the game or are willing to stop bullies.

Nancy Pelosi already asked Syria and Iran to help the U.S. to get out of Iraq. Yikes!

You've been drinking too much of the Kool-Aid man...
Old 09-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #982
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

And if they not only win but restore US foreign policy without violating international law instead of bullying the UN, the pacifists will be happy too!

Rumors say Carla Bruni (french fries) likes Obama!
Old 09-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #983
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:39 PM
Quote:

Of course, the US has considerable weight and another standing than any other country. However, you are exaggerating the overall military power of the US when it comes to countries like China or Russia. I would say, economic interests are a far greater driving factor than fear of US military intervention.
With the current situation, the US probably couldn't even invade North Korea or Iran. It was even said Darfur would be too much of a stretch.

By the way, the Bush administration is already talking to Iran. Remember the press conference where Dana Perino went out of her way to tell the press that there is no negotiation going on?

The times of "You have to earn and deserve me talking to you" are hopefully over soon, which nevertheless doesn't mean they are giving in or allowing Iran and other regimes to do whatever they want.
It's just easier to get to some kind of agreement when you engage with each other in talks. Something the Bush government apparently eventually realized and yet tries to deny at all cost.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #984
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
You've been drinking too much of the Kool-Aid man...
If you mean Kool-Aid as in propaganda I could say the same for you. I would be tempted to have Obama win to prove my point but then just the weakness of the U.S. having a campaign was enough for Russia to make a move on Georgia. They also are egging on the U.S. sabre-rattling style in regards to another cold war. China has already threatened to use military action on Taiwan by 2020 if Taiwan doesn't join them. N. Korea never listens to the U.S. and now has leadership issues like Cuba.

Kool-Aid or no, there are definately enemies out there and asking our enemies for help is like pouring blood into the ocean and then going for a swim in it.

Pelosi could possibly be the stupidist American politician I've ever seen.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:42 PM   #985
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Yes. That's why we are in the hole we are in. Don't overspend on social programs unless you intend to increase taxes. The government likes to use debt as a way to keep taxes as they are while increasing spending. They like to have their cake and eat it too.
This isn't what you said originally. You brought up Bush Sr. and the Dems.

Quote:
On the military question I was saying that attacking the Bush Administration for spending money on military seems to ignore the fact that U.S. military is a necessity to keep the freedoms we have (including NATO).
Then you completely misunderstood my post... I said nothing about military spending. I said you don't fight a war that costs your country 10 billion a month while making tax cuts! That's just fuzzy conservative math for you...
Old 09-18-2008, 06:44 PM   #986
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Vincent, do you really want to discuss US military now? I´m pretty sure our fellow sportsmen ready for the Navy Cross would love to, but my radar says this thread title is election.. and we´re too used to get long winded 2 paged derailing replies on that topic..
Old 09-18-2008, 06:45 PM   #987
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Of course, the US has considerable weight and another standing than any other country. However, you are exaggerating the overall military power of the US when it comes to countries like China or Russia. I would say, economic interests are a far greater driving factor than fear of US military intervention.
With the current situation, the US probably couldn't even invade North Korea or Iran. It was even said Darfur would be too much of a stretch.
I'm looking at the U.S. as the only one with the chance. Yes Americans are usually not the best at ground forces (though they are improving as they gain experience) but my point is that cutting military for budget purposes weakens the west in its deterrance of bullies around the world. The U.S. doesn't have that option. If your comment is correct then the U.S. is already in a weak position. I wish Europe was on side but they rely heavily on Russian oil (hence Russia's dislike of U.S. trying to have Georgia subvert their economic stranglehold). Sarkozy at least is supportive.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:49 PM   #988
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Kool-Aid or no, there are definately enemies out there and asking our enemies for help is like pouring blood into the ocean and then going for a swim in it.

Yes there are enemies, but when did peace talks become a bad word? The conservative superhero Reagan knew when to use them, but now all of a sudden all conservatives have short term memory(must be caused by the Kool-Aid) and sabre rattling is the only way...
Old 09-18-2008, 06:51 PM   #989
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
This isn't what you said originally. You brought up Bush Sr. and the Dems.

Then you completely misunderstood my post... I said nothing about military spending. I said you don't fight a war that costs your country 10 billion a month while making tax cuts! That's just fuzzy conservative math for you...
Bush Sr. campaigned on "no new taxes" and then he decided to raise them in a bipartisan effort to balance the budget. Then during the campaign vs. Clinton democrats said "he said no new taxes, he lied." The democracts continued overspending in congress. Knife in the back. McCain better watch out. Everybody is partisan in the end.

The fuzzy math has to do with democrats focussing on the cost of the war and not health care and education entitlements that costed more. Boondoggle spending needs to be looked at first before the war. The war is a necessity. This goes along with my point that if America is barely keeping the bullies at bay cutting and running in Iraq and Afghanistan because it costs too much then western democracies are in a jam. Dictators can make actions with confidence that the U.S. will do little to stop them.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #990
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
but my point is that cutting military for budget purposes weakens the west in its deterrance of bullies around the world.
Which no one ever suggested

Tags
mccain, obama, politics