US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8 - Page 60 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2008, 02:01 PM   #886
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
i agree with you on a lot of that. but there are a large number of free thinking moderates who could swing in either direction who would be offended at the assertion that if they don't vote for obama they're racist.

i agree with this as well.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #887
Blue Crack Supplier

jesus to god! how could it be?

Gallup Daily: Obama 47%, McCain 45%

Old 09-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #888
ONE
love, blood, life

The problem, as I see it, is there may very well be a ceiling that Obama cannot rise above when it comes to public support due to his race. I do not like thinking this, but, if there is a point that he cannot rise above, he may very well have trouble come election day.
Old 09-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #889
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
The problem, as I see it, is there may very well be a ceiling that Obama cannot rise above when it comes to public support due to his race. I do not like thinking this, but, if there is a point that he cannot rise above, he may very well have trouble come election day.

i agree.

i think that as Palin continue to lose her new car smell, we're going to get more ads with ever more racial subtext.

i do think there's still a lot of racism in the country. not crazy KKK type racism, probably more "racial resentment" is a better way to put it.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:01 PM   #890
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post

This has been my concern since day one... Conservatives keep saying "he should be way up in the polls", I think this is one of the factors why he'll never take that overwhelming lead.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #891
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
jesus to god! how could it be?

Gallup Daily: Obama 47%, McCain 45%

The novelty has begun to wear off... Anyone notice the spike in McCain supprters in FYM once Palin was announced? Now they're gone I wish they had stayed.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #892
Refugee

Local Time: 05:48 AM
Quote:
Clinton fundraiser backs McCain over Obama

By ANN SANNER, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - A top Hillary Rodham Clinton fundraiser threw her support behind Republican John McCain on Wednesday, saying he will lead the country in a centrist fashion and accusing the Democrats of becoming too extreme.

"I believe that Barack Obama, with MoveOn.org and Nancy Pelosi and Howard Dean, has taken the Democratic Party — and they will continue to — too far to the left," Lynn Forester de Rothschild said. "I'm not comfortable there."

Rothschild is also a member of the Democratic National Committee's Platform Committee. She said she would be stepping down from her position on the committee but will not switch political parties.

She praised McCain for working with Democrats to pass legislation and for standing up to President Bush on the Iraq war.

"I just ask, who has Barack Obama ever stood up to? And that troubles me a lot," she said.

Rothschild also disputed Obama's argument that a McCain administration would be an extension of Bush's presidency. Democrats cite McCain's own account of having voted in support of Bush's policies 90 percent of the time.

She said the Arizona senator has broken with Bush to support funding for stem-cell research and to curb greenhouse gas emissions.

"It is the classic cheap shot. Just not true," she said.

Rothschild said she was also excited by the prospect of a woman being in the White House, even though she and Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin disagree on issues. The Alaska governor opposes abortion except in the case of a threat to the mother's life. Rothschild said she supports abortion rights.

"I believe that the McCain-Palin government will be a centrist government," Rothschild said. "It's not going to be an ideological government."

Rothschild is a member of the DNC's Democrats Abroad chapter and splits her time living in London and New York. She was one of Clinton's top fundraisers, bringing in more than $100,000 for her presidential campaign. She built a multimillion-dollar telecommunications company before marrying international banker Sir Evelyn de Rothschild.

Rothschild said she has not discussed her support for McCain with Clinton.

"I'm sure she is not pleased with what I'm doing today," she said. "But you know what? I have to do what I believe in."
Clinton fundraiser backs McCain over Obama - Yahoo! News
Old 09-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #893
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Matthew Yglesias Rothschilds Against Elitism

Rothschilds Against Elitism

Irony truly is dead as Lynn Forester de Rothschild endorses John McCain on anti-elitism grounds:

“This is a hard decision for me personally because frankly I don’t like him,” she said of Obama in an interview with CNN’s Joe Johns. “I feel like he is an elitist. I feel like he has not given me reason to trust him.”

On an unrelated note, the stakes have rarely been higher in an election for extremely rich people than they are in this one. Barack Obama’s tax proposals don’t raise a ton of new net revenue and, as a consequence, have tended to be viewed as pretty moderate. But one reason they don’t raise all that much net revenue is that he’s offering large tax cuts to the majority of people and those offset the substantial tax hike he’s proposing on the rich. Justin Wolfers has a good chart on this:

The difference for middle class taxpayers here is real, but for people making above the national median income (which is to say most people who are working full-time) it tends to be a pretty small difference. But for people earning below the national median the gap is a lot bigger and for extremely high earners the gap is huge. These facts haven’t gotten much play, but if you’re making over $600,000 a year and especially if you’re making over $2.8 million a year you have an extremely strong incentive to back McCain.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #894
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:48 AM
Ta-Nehisi Coates (September 17, 2008) - She is who we thought she was

Matt, examining Lady de Rothchilds defection to McCain, notes that irony must be truly dead. "Lady" de Rothchilds main reason for not endorsing McCain? Obama is an elitist. More accurately elitism is dead. When a gazillionaire who insists on being IDed as "Lady" can call a black dude from the South Side, whose mother had him as a teenager an elitist, the word has no meaning.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:40 PM   #895
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:48 AM
So, a wealthy upper class elitist with a surname that readily identifies her as a wealthy upper class elitist, backs McCain.

This can only be good for Obama, frankly.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:48 PM   #896
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
So, a wealthy upper class elitist with a surname that readily identifies her as a wealthy upper class elitist, backs McCain.

This can only be good for Obama, frankly.

what's an elitist?
Old 09-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #897
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
what's an elitist?

How do you mean?
Old 09-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #898
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
How do you mean?

it's a term i hear thrown about quite a bit, but i really don't know what it means.
Old 09-17-2008, 06:25 PM   #899
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post
Cutting taxes on big business didn't "grow" jobs, either.
Thankfully Senator Obama has continued to backpedal on his tax policies since the general election campaign started. The article below mentions income tax but he has also moderated on capital gains taxes lately.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Democrat Barack Obama says he would delay rescinding President Bush's tax cuts on wealthy Americans if he becomes the next president and the economy is in a recession, suggesting such an increase would further hurt the economy.

Nevertheless, Obama has no plans to extend the Bush tax cuts beyond their expiration date, as Republican John McCain advocates. Instead, Obama wants to push for his promised tax cuts for the middle class, he said in a broadcast interview aired Sunday.

"Even if we're still in a recession, I'm going to go through with my tax cuts," Obama said. "That's my priority."

What about increasing taxes on the wealthy?

"I think we've got to take a look and see where the economy is. I mean, the economy is weak right now," Obama said on "This Week" on ABC. "The news with Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae, I think, along with the unemployment numbers, indicates that we're fragile."
Obama: Recession Could Delay Rescinding Bush Tax Cuts
Old 09-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #900
Blue Crack Supplier

pragmatic flexibility

just what we need after 8 years of rigid ideology.

Tags
mccain, obama, politics