US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8 - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-06-2008, 03:14 PM   #76
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 04:40 AM
Quote:

Obama clock is back!

September 6, 2008


With less than 60 days left until Election Day, we're bringing back a Chicago Sun-Times Sunday feature that drew interest from around the country:




The Obama Clock.





Keep an eye on Obama this week and tell us where the hands should move for Sunday.

We're restarting the clock at 11:48. John McCain had a good but not great convention speech last week.

The credentials-challenged Sarah Palin knocked her speech out of the arena. A CBS news poll showed McCain and Barack Obama in a dead heat, with Obama down from an 8-point lead.

And a Rasmussen tracking poll showed Obama's lead shrinking from 5 points to 2.

How it works

At midnight, he's President Obama. At 11:45, he's a respectable senator. At 11:30, he's a has-been.
Obama clock is back! :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Barack Obama
__________________

__________________
deep is offline  
Old 09-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #77
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2Fanatic4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: nowhere..........man
Posts: 20,254
Local Time: 08:40 AM
reaching... what a understatement that is.. I agree with ya... Is it so slow out there that the media has nothing else to talk about.. Oh wait, how about talking about the issues that the candidates are speaking of or should be talking about...
__________________

__________________
U2Fanatic4ever is offline  
Old 09-06-2008, 04:50 PM   #78
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Se7en's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: all around in the dark - everywhere
Posts: 3,531
Local Time: 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
someone said they are preparing the way in case Obama is down by 5 points with 10 -14 days to go.


Would a new Dem. V P nominee shake up (boost) the Dem ticket,
like Palin did for the GOP?
i consider myself pretty cynical, but i don't believe that either campaign would politicize a diagnosed case of cancer in that way. (when i said "its impact" in my previous post, i was referring to the cancer itself limiting biden's ability to perform his duties)

hopefully no one has cancer.
__________________
Se7en is offline  
Old 09-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #79
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
caught wind of a rumor

not sure how reliable

Joe Biden may have tested positive for prostate? cancer

could Obama be the one getting a new V P candidate ?

who would he choose ?


who should he choose ?
Where is this rumor posted?

If a similar rumor was floating about Palin and breast cancer, there would be people here outraged at how dare we spread such terrible rumors about her.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 09-06-2008, 05:01 PM   #80
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator
 
Diemen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Somewhere in middle America
Posts: 13,238
Local Time: 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
caught wind of a rumor

not sure how reliable

Joe Biden may have tested positive for prostate? cancer

could Obama be the one getting a new V P candidate ?

who would he choose ?


who should he choose ?
I looked into it

and concluded there's nothing to it

Just someone throwing little tidbits in

So some may think it's legit
__________________
Diemen is offline  
Old 09-06-2008, 05:24 PM   #81
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Where is this rumor posted?

If a similar rumor was floating about Palin and breast cancer, there would be people here outraged at how dare we spread such terrible rumors about her.

if she get's indited on trooper gate or if there is a "smoking gun"

a brush with 'breast cancer" would be a good reason to step down

and let McCain go with whoever is polling best for him at that time
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 09-06-2008, 05:54 PM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,290
Local Time: 07:40 AM
Hey, I have a question.

Why is New Hampshire different from the rest of New England, politically? The rest of New England is very liberal, but New Hampshire appears to be cut down the middle.

The Obama/Biden ticket currently has a 15 point lead in Maine, a 34 point lead in Vermont, a 12.6 point lead in Massachusetts, an 18.6 point lead in Connecticut, a 24.3 point lead in Rhode Island, a 16 point lead in New York, and a 10.7 point lead in New Jersey. Sheer dominance in that region.

But in New Hampshire?

The Obama/Biden ticket has a 0.3 point lead. A fraction of a point.

What makes New Hampshire so close, in the middle of region that the Obama/Biden ticket is dominating in?
__________________
namkcuR is offline  
Old 09-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict
 
deep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: A far distance down.
Posts: 28,501
Local Time: 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Hey, I have a question.

Why is New Hampshire different from the rest of New England, politically? The rest of New England is very liberal, but New Hampshire appears to be cut down the middle.

The Obama/Biden ticket currently has a 15 point lead in Maine, a 34 point lead in Vermont, a 12.6 point lead in Massachusetts, an 18.6 point lead in Connecticut, a 24.3 point lead in Rhode Island, a 16 point lead in New York, and a 10.7 point lead in New Jersey. Sheer dominance in that region.

But in New Hampshire?

The Obama/Biden ticket has a 0.3 point lead. A fraction of a point.

What makes New Hampshire so close, in the middle of region that the Obama/Biden ticket is dominating in?


that is a pretty good question younger poster, replied older (deep) poster



New Hampshire GOP have always been moderates


one could also ask why is Florida always so close, Clinton won in 92 and 96 when all the states around them and solid GOP ?

What makes Florida so close, in the middle of region that the McCain is dominating in?
__________________
deep is offline  
Old 09-06-2008, 06:16 PM   #84
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,290
Local Time: 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
that is a pretty good question younger poster, replied older (deep) poster



New Hampshire GOP have always been moderates


one could also ask why is Florida always so close, Clinton won in 92 and 96 when all the states around them and solid GOP ?

What makes Florida so close, in the middle of region that the McCain is dominating in?
I always assumed that Florida's large Hispanic population was the reason it is usually close.

New Hampshire makes less sense to me.
__________________
namkcuR is offline  
Old 09-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #85
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
I always assumed that Florida's large Hispanic population was the reason it is usually close.
But remember the Hispanics in south Florida are almost exclusively Cubans.

And they have a history of voting for the Republicans because the GOP has an archaic and stupid Cuban foreign policy that everyone else in the free world abandoned decades ago.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 09-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #86
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 01:40 PM
phanan as I recall is from NH, he could probably give the best answer if he sees this. I know that state has a reputation for having a libertarian streak; for example, they have neither a general income tax nor a general sales tax (certain special types of income and goods are taxed).

As we've discussed in here before, FL is quite different culturally and socioeconomically from the rest of the South, especially southern FL.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 09-06-2008, 06:26 PM   #87
ONE
love, blood, life
 
namkcuR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Kettering, Ohio
Posts: 10,290
Local Time: 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
But remember the Hispanics in south Florida are almost exclusively Cubans.

And they have a history of voting for the Republicans because the GOP has an archaic and stupid Cuban foreign policy that everyone else in the free world abandoned decades ago.
While, the other obvious reason for Florida is because it is a coastal state. Lots of people from other states retire to Florida. Lots of celeb-types have second or even first homes in places like Miami or Orlando. The beaches and water there, and the culture that that creates, causes the makeup of the state population-wise to be considerably different from that of say, Alabama or whatever.

But New Hampshire's difference isn't as obvious.
__________________
namkcuR is offline  
Old 09-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #88
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,297
Local Time: 07:40 AM
NH is the only Kerry state that looks iffy for Obama.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out over there.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 09-06-2008, 06:37 PM   #89
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
If a similar rumor was floating about Palin and breast cancer, there would be people here outraged at how dare we spread such terrible rumors about her.


i am incredibly disappointed that deep is rumormongering in here. it's sad and pathetic and it's made me switch my vote from Obama to McCain.

now i'm never coming back to FYM again because of this shameless rumormongering.
__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
Old 09-06-2008, 06:45 PM   #90
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,499
Local Time: 07:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
New Hampshire GOP have always been moderates



not so much moderate as more FOAD types.

New Hampshire GOPers tend to be more like people from the big, square big sky states out West. there's no sales tax in NH (which is why everyone buys their booze there). the state motto is "Live Free or Die." essentially, all the pot-smoking hippie elitists live in VT and the gun-toting aggressive leave-me-lone types live in NH.

there's also a virtual lack of any urban areas. even though VT and ME are rural, they have educated urban-ish areas (Burlington, Portland). also, many, many New Yorkers and Bostonians have 2nd homes in Vermont, which has a better vacation infrastructure than does NH, and many eventually move there permanently (they're known as "flatlanders"). NH is starting to change as the Boston suburbs spread further and further north, but
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is offline  
 

Tags
mccain, obama, politics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com