US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8 - Page 56 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #826
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobvok View Post
Congratulations, junior Orwell stooges at the McCain camp, you're halfway to redefining sexism into meaninglessness.
The sexist fundamentals of the campaign are sound.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:28 PM   #827
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2democrat View Post
Madeline Albright will be at my school this Saturday, having an Obama foreign policy town hall, and MY Young Dems is the sponsor (Shameless plug)
Great, and we get Antonin Scalia teaching us how to interpret the US Constitution.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #828
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
Great, and we get Antonin Scalia teaching us how to interpret the US Constitution.

I'm sorry
Old 09-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #829
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 04:11 AM
:Pray:
Old 09-15-2008, 06:37 PM   #830
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I already posted this earlier (along with assorted other violations of this 'no-whining' rule) but...

You want to talk the talk, well then better be up to walking the walk. Don't hide from the press, don't flee from taking questions on the stump, don't dive behind a "Truth Squad" charged with protecting you from sexism.

In any case, the SNL skit was hardly "positive" towards Hillary; on the contrary, it was playing to the hilt the stereotype of her as stiff, embittered, cutthroat and vengeful. And at the point where the Amazon Truth Squad is whining about a Saturday Night Live skit for f*'s sake...come on.
Hmm maybe "competent" would be a more accurate word then. I think SNL's character definitely focuses on her ambition, but I thought they've always been a little friendly toward her.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:48 PM   #831
Forum Moderator

I haven't seen any other skits involving her as a character. But as far as that one goes--there are many more ways to mock a female politician than just suggesting she lacks a grasp of the issues, which was never Hillary's perception problem. For example, 'stiff, embittered, cutthroat and vengeful' = 'emasculating'.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #832
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I haven't seen any other skits involving her as a character. But as far as that one goes--there are many more ways to mock a female politician than just suggesting she lacks a grasp of the issues, which was never Hillary's perception problem. For example, 'stiff, embittered, cutthroat and vengeful' = 'emasculating'.
Exactly.

And you know it amuses me that the poster here bemoaning sexism the most is the very same one who was posting photos of witches and making comments about Shrillary and so on. It would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:02 PM   #833
Blue Crack Supplier

Up until the last week, I never felt the need to use words like "scared" or "worried" if either candidate was elected.

Unfortunately, now I do.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:41 PM   #834
Refugee

Local Time: 05:11 AM
Quote:
Hillary is STIFF, is EMBITTERED, is CUTTHROAT AND certainly is VENGEFUL.

Tell us something we don't already know.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:02 PM   #835
Forum Moderator

And Sarah Palin really didn't know what the Bush Doctrine was, really did deny (McCain's position that) global warming is man-made, really did go from criticizing Hillary for "whining" to suddenly having only nice things to say about that courageous glass-ceiling-cracker, really was talked up by her handlers for the foreign policy gravitas that living right across the Strait from Vlad gives you, and really is being schmoozed over by her base for being a "babe" (as Rush gloated) brandishing a hunting rifle.

So how do we beat the bitch? That's an excellent question, isn't it?

Are you laughing yet?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #836
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Vest View Post
Hillary is STIFF, is EMBITTERED, is CUTTHROAT AND certainly is VENGEFUL.

Tell us something we don't already know.
Thank you for providing this valuable contribution to the discussion.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:05 PM   #837
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Thank you for providing this valuable contribution to the discussion.

There, now we've come full circle.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #838
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:11 AM
I'm going to put in for two vacation days in November - election day and the day after.

I intend on spending election day (post-voting, naturally) watching the TV with a bottle of vodka in front of me. Or possibly in bed with a pillow over my head, waiting until it's all over.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:44 PM   #839
ONE
love, blood, life

Washington Times - Records show McCain more bipartisan

Sen. John McCain's record of working with Democrats easily outstrips Sen. Barack Obama's efforts with Republicans, according to an analysis by The Washington Times of their legislative records.

Whether looking at bills they have led on or bills they have signed onto, Mr. McCain has reached across the aisle far more frequently and with more members than Mr. Obama since the latter came to the Senate in 2005.

In fact, by several measures, Mr. McCain has been more likely to team up with Democrats than with members of his own party. Democrats made up 55 percent of his political partners over the last two Congresses, including on the tough issues of campaign finance and global warming. For Mr. Obama, Republicans were only 13 percent of his co-sponsors during his time in the Senate, and he had his biggest bipartisan successes on noncontroversial measures, such as issuing a postage stamp in honor of civil rights icon Rosa Parks.

With calls for change in Washington dominating the campaign, both Mr. Obama, the Democrats' presidential nominee, and Mr. McCain, his Republican opponent, have claimed the mantle of bipartisanship.

But since 2005, Mr. McCain has led as chief sponsor of 82 bills, on which he had 120 Democratic co-sponsors out of 220 total, for an average of 55 percent. He worked with Democrats on 50 of his bills, and of those, 37 times Democrats outnumber Republicans as co-sponsors.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:02 PM   #840
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:11 AM

Tags
mccain, obama, politics