US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8 - Page 45 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2008, 04:45 PM   #661
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
You are really offering a hostage to fortune with statements like that.

How so?

Old 09-11-2008, 05:35 PM   #662
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila64 View Post
Did anyone watch Obama on Letterman last night? In case you missed it

YouTube - David Letterman-Obama-Prt-1-Sept-10-2008

I almost TIVOed it.

But, I knew it would be made available, here.

thanks

someone told me he joked about being a centerfold

celebrities, these days

Old 09-11-2008, 06:51 PM   #663
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:10 AM
How'd your debate go, deep?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-11-2008, 07:05 PM   #664
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Sept. 11 (Bloomberg) -- The dollar rose to the highest level in a year against the euro on speculation that economic growth in Europe will be slower than in the U.S., prompting the region's central bank to lower interest rates.

Quote:
Los Angeles Times August 29, 2008
Tax rebate checks and robust exports helped the U.S. economy grow at a faster-than-expected rate in the second quarter, the government reported Thursday.
U.S. gross domestic product increased at a brisk 3.3% annual pace in the April-June quarter, according to the Commerce Department. That was the best showing since the third quarter of 2007, beating the government's earlier estimates of a 1.9% growth rate and topping economists' forecasts of 2.7%.
Good news the Obama/Biden ticket won't be talking about.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:14 PM   #665
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
How'd your debate go, deep?
several people have told be it went well

here is the article that was in our local paper

Quote:
Council candidates spar at public forum

From left, Steve Rosansky, Gloria Alkire, Keith Curry and Dolores Otting take part in a forum for Newport Beach City Council candidates at Newport Beach Yacht Club on Wednesday.

Incumbents cite past efforts as challengers dispute transparency and call for new voices on the Newport dais.

By Michael Miller

Updated: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 9:34 PM PDT

NEWPORT BEACH — Mayor Ed Selich is running unopposed for reelection this year, so he opted out of most of Wednesday night’s candidates forum at the Newport Beach Yacht Club. Still, the mayor delivered an opening address that amounted to a ringing endorsement for his two colleagues seeking a second term.

“I ask you to think real hard on election day,” he said. “As well as this city is running, why would you want to change horses?”

It was a rhetorical question, but the two challengers for City Council seats this year, businesswoman Dolores Otting and retired educator Gloria Alkire, answered it more than once. Throughout the hourlong debate, Councilmen Keith Curry and Steve Rosansky cited their achievements in office while Otting attacked the city government as secretive and financially irresponsible and Alkire made a broad appeal to voters to consider new voices on the council.

About 150 people attended the debate, which was sponsored by the nonprofit Speak Up Newport. deep - no last name, the nonprofit’s president, moderated and asked the questions submitted by the audience. Each candidate got to direct a question to his or her opponent.

Echoing the mayor’s opening comments, Rosansky and Curry used their track records to make cases for reelection. Rosansky mentioned his efforts to limit expansion of John Wayne Airport and install road improvements. Curry cited the Newport Coast Community Center and other facilities that were built or started construction during his term.

“Long Beach has a bay. Huntington Beach has a beach. What makes Newport special? It’s the quality of the decisions we make as a community,” Curry said at one point.

Otting, his opponent, disputed the notion that most of Newport’s recent projects have been community efforts. She accused the council of relying too heavily on ad hoc committees that operated out of the public eye and urged the city to spend less. As an alternative, she said, the city could rely on wealthy citizens to contribute money for fire stations and other projects.

After the debate, Curry dismissed that idea, saying donations wouldn’t be reliable to keep the city growing steadily. He also said ad hoc committees helped the city negotiate the best deals possible.

“Our officials are not corrupt,” Curry said. “Our government is not in secret. In fact, it’s very open and well-run.”

Rosansky and Alkire were more relaxed throughout the forum, with the incumbent praising the city’s work on the recent rehab homes ordinance — which he called “the most cutting-edge” in California — while his opponent argued that the agreement with Sober Living by the Sea benefited the group homes’ owners more than residents.

Otherwise, Alkire spent more time talking about her desire to give voters a choice than attacking specific actions by the current council. Rosansky, in his question to her, recited a list of recent projects in Newport Beach and asked which ones, if any, Alkire opposed. She replied that she couldn’t argue any of them.

“I hope you all come out and vote, because that’s important no matter who you choose,” she said in her closing statement.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #666
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
I almost TIVOed it.

But, I knew it would be made available, here.

thanks

someone told me he joked about being a centerfold

celebrities, these days
Did you actually watch the clips?
If so, you would know what that centerfold comment was about. I believe they were referring to how Obama used to be on the cover of Time, Newsweek, etc., and then Obama said something to the effect (since Palin has come on the scene) that he's relegated now to mags like Popular Mechanics. Maybe he'd be the centerfold.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:29 PM   #667
ONE
love, blood, life

i was hoping to be the 666th post in this thread.

<>
Old 09-11-2008, 08:29 PM   #668
ONE
love, blood, life

sh#t i missed.

<>
Old 09-11-2008, 08:38 PM   #669
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:10 AM
I can delete one of your other posts to make it work if you like.

j/k

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #670
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 09-11-2008, 10:06 PM   #671
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post

Good news the Obama/Biden ticket won't be talking about.

there is that 6.2% unemployment thing.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:39 PM   #672
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
there is that 6.2% unemployment thing.
indeed.

Bloomberg.com: U.S.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:50 AM   #673
Blue Crack Addict

For all the talk here about how Obama's supporters are hurting him, well this one has got to take the cake. Michelle Malkin comes through with what is undoubtedly the most idiotic commentary of this campaign.

Quote:
Barack Obama flings a memorial rose at Ground Zero like he’s a kid tossing pennies into a fountain at the shopping mall — or a spectator tossing flowers at a bullfight.

He doesn’t know what he’s doing.

(Clueless NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg copies him.)

By contrast, John McCain and his wife kneel and gently, somberly, place their roses down at the foot of the 9/11 tribute.
This is the same woman who made Rachael Rae take off her terrorist scarf, so it should come as little surprise.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:52 AM   #674
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Michelle Malkin: a better looking Ann Coulter.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:52 AM   #675
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
For all the talk here about how Obama's supporters are hurting him, well this one has got to take the cake. Michelle Malkin comes through with what is undoubtedly the most idiotic commentary of this campaign.

Michelle Malkin makes Ann Coulter look sane.

i actually visit her website every day to see who's next on her "people to kill" list. i have never ever seen a more mendacious, vicious, and generally hateful "mainstream" commentator.

Tags
mccain, obama, politics