US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8 - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2008, 03:50 PM   #46
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:44 PM
I think the smartest thing for her to do would be to have Obama on 4 or 5 more times, and no one else. Okay, maybe Biden once.

Old 09-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:44 PM
For comparison...

in Canada, it looks like the Prime Minister will call an election on Sunday. The election will take place in 5 weeks, on October 14th. That is all the campaigning we will have to stomach.

Old 09-05-2008, 10:08 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
For comparison...

in Canada, it looks like the Prime Minister will call an election on Sunday. The election will take place in 5 weeks, on October 14th. That is all the campaigning we will have to stomach.
Yes, but we still have to put up with those god-awful ads for the Conservative Party for the next month and a half
Old 09-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
I know. I'm just disappointed. If she doesn't have her on, she'd be putting her politics above what would be really great television and surely a ton of viewers.
You really think Sarah Palin appearing on Oprah ~ a month before the election wouldn't be an obvious political vehicle? So *unless* she allows that, Oprah is the one using her show politically?

Quote:
OPRAH'S STATEMENT: "The item in today's Drudge Report is categorically untrue. There has been absolutely no discussion about having Sarah Palin on my show. At the beginning of this Presidential campaign when I decided that I was going to take my first public stance in support of a candidate, I made the decision not to use my show as a platform for any of the candidates. I agree that Sarah Palin would be a fantastic interview, and I would love to have her on after the campaign is over."
OK, Palin will be on after November, when it's no longer political. Sounds reasonable. Does anyone know if she had Obama on after she endorsed him?
Old 09-05-2008, 11:32 PM   #50
War Child

Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Looks like Obama...the master orator, has been watching GW Bush for speech tips.

It a bummer when your teleprompter craps out.

I recall the same thing happening to Palin and Guliani at the RNC on Wednesday, yet you couldn't tell with either of them.

YouTube - Obama without his teleprompter
Old 09-05-2008, 11:43 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict

God forbid someone making speeches every day forgets a phrase in one of them.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:11 AM   #52
War Child

Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Forgets a phrase? Did you watch the same clip? Be real. Thsi is not the only time he has looked foolish when he has had to speak without the benefit of a script. If this was either McCain or Palin, the liberal media and the liberals would be calling her Dan Quayle and saying McCain is another Bush...although they are trying to say the ladder for different reasons.

I just think it is laughable how everyone makes this guy out to be a great speaker. He is just very good at reading off a sheet. He going to get killed in the debates. Maybe he can just avoid the questions there by saying its all above his pay grade.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:19 AM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post

I just think it is laughable how everyone makes this guy out to be a great speaker. He is just very good at reading off a sheet. He going to get killed in the debates. Maybe he can just avoid the questions there by saying its all above his pay grade.
Don't you know? When Obama talks like that, he's just being....uhhhh.... uhhh.... uhhh.... uh..uh.. nuanced, and... uh... uhh... uh.... thoughtful.

I myself have never understood how people are praising him as a great speaker. I just don't see it, in ANY of his speeches. He's no better than others I've heard.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:23 AM   #54
ONE
love, blood, life

You can pick the ten clips of Obama stumbling over his words all you want, but there's probably five hundred other ones where there's no problem at all.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:25 AM   #55
Rock n' Roll Doggie

maybe someone should mine youtube for all of mccain's mistakes too. that would be really constructive.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:28 AM   #56
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:44 PM
Quote:
Forgets a phrase? Did you watch the same clip? Be real. Thsi is not the only time he has looked foolish when he has had to speak without the benefit of a script. If this was either McCain or Palin, the liberal media and the liberals would be calling her Dan Quayle and saying McCain is another Bush...although they are trying to say the ladder for different reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Don't you know? When Obama talks like that, he's just being....uhhhh.... uhhh.... uhhh.... uh..uh.. nuanced, and... uh... uhh... uh.... thoughtful.

I myself have never understood how people are praising him as a great speaker. I just don't see it, in ANY of his speeches. He's no better than others I've heard.
I think anyone can read off a sheet or a prompt, but the ability to articulate the thoughts well and connect to an audience is something that's hard to attain. Comparing the delivery of Obama's and McCain's acceptance speeches at their respective conventions really illustrates this. Everyone's going to stumble at some point, so it's unfair to draw this conclusion based on one negative clip.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:31 AM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

This is for real? Talk about making stretches.

As someone who works in the field of professional speech, it's not hard at all to state with legitimacy that Barack Obama is an exceptional public speaker.

And a very good speech writer, I might add.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:49 AM   #58
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Looks like Obama...the master orator, has been watching GW Bush for speech tips.

It a bummer when your teleprompter craps out.

I recall the same thing happening to Palin and Guliani at the RNC on Wednesday, yet you couldn't tell with either of them.

YouTube - Obama without his teleprompter
Honestly, you should be able to finish your own thought even if you lose your teleprompter.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:55 AM   #59
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Honestly, when you give as many speeches as Obama does, you're going to have tongue-ties and slip-ups.

The simple fact that someone is actually trying to use this as some sort of case against him is just laughable.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:58 AM   #60
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
I recall the same thing happening to Palin and Guliani at the RNC on Wednesday.
Actually, that teleprompter malfunction was just a myth.

Palin Teleprompter Didn't Break

Quote:
Sarah Palin delivered a powerful speech last night, but she did not "wing it."

Which is what Erick Erickson, citing sources close to McCain, has written on his blog, RedState.

Erickson writes that "the teleprompter continued scrolling during applause breaks. As a result, half way through the speech, the speech had scrolled significantly from where Gov. Palin was in the speech."

This claim has been picked up on Drudge and could quickly enter into the insta-mythmaking about a speech that need not be embroidered.

Perhaps there were moments where it scrolled slightly past her exact point in the speech. But I was sitting in the press section next to the stage, within easy eyeshot of the teleprompter. I frequently looked up at the machine, and there was no serious malfunction. A top convention planner confirms this morning that there were no major problems.

Erickson writes that the same malfunction happened during Rudy Giuliani's speech earlier in the night. Again, I watched the teleprompter during this speech, and it worked without problem. Giuliani, as is his wont, simply decided to go off-script and add some new lines, such as one attacking Obama for his "bitter" comments.
But I'll let you get back to the substantive issues.

Tags
mccain, obama, politics