US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8 - Page 39 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #571
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post
Please tell me that you're an alter just trying to fuck around, and that you don't really believe any of the crap that you write.
8872 posts is a lot of fucking around.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #572
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:07 AM
Tonight, Chris Matthews was absolutely brilliant. Perhaps the best piece of tv journalism ever. Watch both of these (they're part 1 & 2). Amazing.

YouTube - Hardball: Questioning 'phony outrage' over lipstick (Part 1)

YouTube - Hardball: Questioning 'phony outrage' over lipstick (Part 2)

If John McCain is going to feed the media bullshit stories that don't deserve to be newsworthy, it looks like the media is going to fire back. Good for them.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #573
Blue Crack Supplier

Location: 8 years and I still can't think of anything witty to put here
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I actually think this is the funniest post I've seen in a while.

Especially with that source too quoted as support.

You couldn't make stuff like this up if you tried.

Before someone posts an article supporting their point, they really should read the whole article.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #574
Refugee

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybabe View Post
John McCain has the strength to keep America safe and the courage to secure the peace.
Oh and Obama supports infanticide. If you don`t think something is wrong with that,"Just Wow."The Next Smear Against Obama: "Infanticide"
This is the one that I've been worried about for awhile now - so much so that I wasn't even going to mention it on FYM - hoping against hope that it just might be overlooked (ya right, who was I kidding? Myself obviously.) I first read this about a month ago and after reading numerous articles on it decided to dig deeper. The thing is, after reading several articles on it I still didn't quite know what it was about. It sounded horrible. If it was true I really had my doubts about Obama. Why would he vote this way on something so obviously wrong? This is one that you can expect the Republican's to air ads sometime in October - probably middle to late October - so the public has no time to research it properly. They'll gasp and think he's a monster. Once again I hear the sound of Karl Rove cackling. Shit.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #575
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:07 PM
Quote:
John McCain has the strength to keep America safe and the courage to secure the peace.
Oh and Obama supports infanticide. If you don`t think something is wrong with that,"Just Wow."The Next Smear Against Obama: "Infanticide"
That's classic

Thank you, I thought you were actually serious for awhile.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #576
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 09:07 PM
Quote:
I would love to see some McCain supporters parading around with big signs that say OBAMA EATS BABIES.

That would be just really, really great.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:29 PM   #577
Blue Crack Addict

I almost felt sorry for that Republican shill in that clip.

John McCain is a liar. Hey if repetition works for them...
Old 09-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #578
ONE
love, blood, life

Olbermann's special comment tonight, tearing not only McCain, but the whole GOP really, for the way they've turned 9/11 into 9/11 with a trademark, a political tool. I think it is phenomenal, but I'm sure a good deal of you will think it's over the top.

YouTube - Special Comment 9/10/08
Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #579
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Hey if repetition works for them...
That's the problem. It worked in the previous two elections.

I'm wondering, what do Democrats think regarding ways of preventing these lies from becoming ingrained into the American consciousness? Is there any way to stop this happening for a third time?
Old 09-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #580
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
I almost felt sorry for that Republican shill in that clip.

John McCain is a liar. Hey if repetition works for them...

Yeah, me too. Sure, I'm biased, but I typically find that most of the Republican spokespeople on these shows come off as slimy, plain and simple. This guy, on the other hand, actually seemed like he might be a nice guy in real life. But he should've expected it--he was booked to defend a bullshit accusation, one that the McCain people thought was so important that they pushed it all morning.

Honestly, I think that the media have every right to start cutting through the crap. Get rid of this bullshit about dodging questions and spinning answers. Who the hell cares if some dumbass Congressperson doesn't come back to your show if they never give you an answer in the first place? Frankly, I'm happy that Campbell Brown has started to take this approach, as well as the obvious characters of Matthews and Olbermann. The rest need to get on board. Enough with the bullshit.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #581
Blue Crack Addict

That ad in the clip has been pulled by CBS who was apparently outraged that McCain used a Katie Couric clip to imply she'd said that line about Obama when in fact it had nothing to do about Obama. So the ad is gone under a cease and desist order.

Heckuva job, John.

John McCain is a liar. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:40 PM   #582
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I'm wondering, what do Democrats think regarding ways of preventing these lies from becoming ingrained into the American consciousness? Is there any way to stop this happening for a third time?

I think that Obama needs to fight back. I think that what he and his campaign don't realize is that the CAN fight back without sinking to the same slimy level. Here's how:

Imagine this commercial. Barack Obama himself in a close-up, talking to the camera. "John McCain has shown you a commercial telling you that I supported teaching kindergartners a "comprehensive sex education." In reality, the legislation I supported would have taught kindergartners to recognize when a stranger is touching them inappropriately. It would have protected them from sexual predators. John McCain apparently thinks this was wrong. John McCain is out of touch. I am Barack Obama, and I approve this message."

Go head on. Show that John McCain is a spinning liar. Show that John McCain isn't the honorable guy he says he is. Yet doing it this way does it in a way that's not starkly negative about McCain. Show that you have some fight and that you're right.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:50 PM   #583
Refugee

Local Time: 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Isn't it kind of relevant that a person running a campaign strongly based on his character is suddenly doing things that lack integrity?
Well, if integrity and Sarah Palin are the things team Obama want to talk about, I'm sure the McCain campaign won't mind. You can't prove someone lacks integrity because of a flap over pigs, lies and lipstick, especially someone like John McCain. Acting like your running against Sarah Palin rather than John McCain also is unlikely to be a winning strategy.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:59 PM   #584
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:07 AM
Those last few McCain ads really are quite stunning. I never disliked the guy, just thought it was a real shame he’d let himself be castrated so easily. I also thought he’d steer clear of all that after all the crap that hit him during his run against Bush. But those ads… what an absolute dickhead he is.

It’s a shame. This could have been a genuinely decent and really great contest to watch. That’s absolutely flown out the window now and I’d say it probably has the potential to become one of the most nasty and shallow.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:03 PM   #585
Blue Crack Addict

One more for the road!

Quote:
McCain campaign has a new ad out designed to portray Obama as a predator and Sarah Palin as prey by pointing to 30 opposition researchers that the Obama team allegedly sent to Alaska to savage her.

Of course, the article that the ad references doesn't say Obama sent them -- it actually says Democrats sent them.

But the Democratic National Committee's chief of research, Mike Gehrke, tells me that the DNC hasn't sent a single researcher to Alaska. "Zero," Gehrke says.

Gehrke also offered this little gem:

"If I had 30 researchers, they'd be busy trying to keep track of McCain's houses."
TPM Election Central | Talking Points Memo | DNC's Chief Researcher: We Sent "Zero" Oppo-Guys To Alaska

Tags
mccain, obama, politics