US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Forgets a phrase? Did you watch the same clip? Be real. Thsi is not the only time he has looked foolish when he has had to speak without the benefit of a script. If this was either McCain or Palin, the liberal media and the liberals would be calling her Dan Quayle and saying McCain is another Bush...although they are trying to say the ladder for different reasons.

I just think it is laughable how everyone makes this guy out to be a great speaker. He is just very good at reading off a sheet. He going to get killed in the debates. Maybe he can just avoid the questions there by saying its all above his pay grade.

That was a pretty blatant case of him screwing up and losing his place/train of thought. However, I'm fairly certain that even during that instance, he could have immediately come up with the number of houses he owns. ;)

caught wind of a rumor

not sure how reliable

Joe Biden may have tested positive for prostate? cancer

could Obama be the one getting a new V P candidate ?

who would he choose ?

who should he choose ?

I hate picking on candidates for slip ups. McCain or Obama. Think of the grueling schedule they've been on since (at the very least) January. And then you have a squadron of howling monkeys on YouTube recording all their speeches and if they mess up it's a "senior moment" or "the guy can't speak off the cuff".

I hate picking on candidates for slip ups. McCain or Obama. Think of the grueling schedule they've been on since (at the very least) January. And then you have a squadron of howling monkeys on YouTube recording all their speeches and if they mess up it's a "senior moment" or "the guy can't speak off the cuff".

Fair enough. I sometimes get the impression in here, though, of when Obama makes a mistake, people say "Leave him alone. He gives speeches everyday and is tired." But when McCain makes a mistake, it's "a senior moment" and we should question his ability to be president.

Check out these new voter registration numbers. A lot of this credit goes to the Obama ground game - I think they have the best one out there, and are probably benefiting from the long primary fight and all the offices they were forced to open then. Bad news for the GOP in a number of states, some of the numbers are particularly stark.

State R D Other Period
AK 2,836 2,628 6,825 March-September
AZ 32,141 68,480 4,359 January-September
CA 46,497 417,793 117,313 January-May
CO 13,352 66,516 23,437 January-July
DE 676 4,428 2,200 July-September
FL 77,196 209,422 26,100 January-June
IA 7,515 69,301 -62,922 January-August
KS 1,553 13,159 -1,704 January-March
MD 4,260 12,338 5,544 January-July
NV 1,230 51,547 7,550 January-August
NH -1,285 1,188 269 June-August
NY 1,526 102,559 -164 November-March
NC 20,363 171,955 123,605 January-August
OR -13,349 122,518 - January-July
PA 289 98,137 15,907 April-August
WY 1,390 3,409 5,892 January-August

caught wind of a rumor

not sure how reliable

who would he choose ?

who should he choose ?

if true, it's likely that, given his access to quality healthcare, the cancer was detected early. its impact may be limited.

hopefully it's not true.

Check out these new voter registration numbers. A lot of this credit goes to the Obama ground game - I think they have the best one out there, and are probably benefiting from the long primary fight and all the offices they were forced to open then. Bad news for the GOP in a number of states, some of the numbers are particularly stark.

State R D Other Period
AK 2,836 2,628 6,825 March-September
AZ 32,141 68,480 4,359 January-September
CA 46,497 417,793 117,313 January-May
CO 13,352 66,516 23,437 January-July
DE 676 4,428 2,200 July-September
FL 77,196 209,422 26,100 January-June
IA 7,515 69,301 -62,922 January-August
KS 1,553 13,159 -1,704 January-March
MD 4,260 12,338 5,544 January-July
NV 1,230 51,547 7,550 January-August
NH -1,285 1,188 269 June-August
NY 1,526 102,559 -164 November-March
NC 20,363 171,955 123,605 January-August
OR -13,349 122,518 - January-July
PA 289 98,137 15,907 April-August
WY 1,390 3,409 5,892 January-August

:hmm: very interesting...

i'm curious to see if these voters will be mobilized to get out for the general election.

Honestly, you should be able to finish your own thought even if you lose your teleprompter.

Honestly, you should be able to speak in public as a presidential candidate without breaking out in tears.

See, I can play this petty, meaningless game, too.

I love how everything has to stray from the issues now. People question why I support Obama, and cannot believe it's just because I think he has better stances than McCain. I hate politics.

Honestly, you should be able to speak in public as a presidential candidate without breaking out in tears.

I dont see how you can criticize emotion in the same way as an inability to put 8 words together in a sentence if your teleprompter dies.

At least he tried to blame it on being tired and not acid reflux do a jig and run to his limo!

what's the big f**kin deal that he messed up on a speech who cares! I couldn't care less if it were Obama or McCain, Palin or Biden. Why are people making a mountain out of a mole hill.:huh:

if true, it's likely that, given his access to quality healthcare, the cancer was detected early. its impact may be limited.

hopefully it's not true.

someone said they are preparing the way in case Obama is down by 5 points with 10 -14 days to go.

Would a new Dem. V P nominee shake up (boost) the Dem ticket,
like Palin did for the GOP?

why hell are we speculating on something so far fetched as Biden having prostate cancer.. A friggin rumor for god's sake. That I haven't even heard of until I entered this thread..:shrug:

is there even a source/link to this possible rumor?

Obama clock is back!

September 6, 2008

With less than 60 days left until Election Day, we're bringing back a Chicago Sun-Times Sunday feature that drew interest from around the country:

obamabutton.jpg_20080906_04_21_33_15-282-400.imageContent

The Obama Clock.

Keep an eye on Obama this week and tell us where the hands should move for Sunday.

We're restarting the clock at 11:48. John McCain had a good but not great convention speech last week.

The credentials-challenged Sarah Palin knocked her speech out of the arena. A CBS news poll showed McCain and Barack Obama in a dead heat, with Obama down from an 8-point lead.

And a Rasmussen tracking poll showed Obama's lead shrinking from 5 points to 2.

How it works

At midnight, he's President Obama. At 11:45, he's a respectable senator. At 11:30, he's a has-been.

Obama clock is back! :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Barack Obama

reaching... what a understatement that is.. I agree with ya... Is it so slow out there that the media has nothing else to talk about.. Oh wait, how about talking about the issues that the candidates are speaking of or should be talking about...

someone said they are preparing the way in case Obama is down by 5 points with 10 -14 days to go.

Would a new Dem. V P nominee shake up (boost) the Dem ticket,
like Palin did for the GOP?

i consider myself pretty cynical, but i don't believe that either campaign would politicize a diagnosed case of cancer in that way. (when i said "its impact" in my previous post, i was referring to the cancer itself limiting biden's ability to perform his duties)

hopefully no one has cancer.

caught wind of a rumor

not sure how reliable

who would he choose ?

who should he choose ?

Where is this rumor posted?

If a similar rumor was floating about Palin and breast cancer, there would be people here outraged at how dare we spread such terrible rumors about her.

caught wind of a rumor

not sure how reliable

who would he choose ?

who should he choose ?

I looked into it

and concluded there's nothing to it

Just someone throwing little tidbits in

So some may think it's legit

Where is this rumor posted?

If a similar rumor was floating about Palin and breast cancer, there would be people here outraged at how dare we spread such terrible rumors about her.

if she get's indited on trooper gate or if there is a "smoking gun"

a brush with 'breast cancer" would be a good reason to step down

and let McCain go with whoever is polling best for him at that time :shrug:

Hey, I have a question.

Why is New Hampshire different from the rest of New England, politically? The rest of New England is very liberal, but New Hampshire appears to be cut down the middle.

The Obama/Biden ticket currently has a 15 point lead in Maine, a 34 point lead in Vermont, a 12.6 point lead in Massachusetts, an 18.6 point lead in Connecticut, a 24.3 point lead in Rhode Island, a 16 point lead in New York, and a 10.7 point lead in New Jersey. Sheer dominance in that region.

But in New Hampshire?

The Obama/Biden ticket has a 0.3 point lead. A fraction of a point.

What makes New Hampshire so close, in the middle of region that the Obama/Biden ticket is dominating in?

Hey, I have a question.

Why is New Hampshire different from the rest of New England, politically? The rest of New England is very liberal, but New Hampshire appears to be cut down the middle.

The Obama/Biden ticket currently has a 15 point lead in Maine, a 34 point lead in Vermont, a 12.6 point lead in Massachusetts, an 18.6 point lead in Connecticut, a 24.3 point lead in Rhode Island, a 16 point lead in New York, and a 10.7 point lead in New Jersey. Sheer dominance in that region.

But in New Hampshire?

The Obama/Biden ticket has a 0.3 point lead. A fraction of a point.

What makes New Hampshire so close, in the middle of region that the Obama/Biden ticket is dominating in?

that is a pretty good question younger poster, replied older (deep) poster

New Hampshire GOP have always been moderates

one could also ask why is Florida always so close, Clinton won in 92 and 96 when all the states around them and solid GOP ?

What makes Florida so close, in the middle of region that the McCain is dominating in?

that is a pretty good question younger poster, replied older (deep) poster

one could also ask why is Florida always so close, Clinton won in 92 and 96 when all the states around them and solid GOP ?

What makes Florida so close, in the middle of region that the McCain is dominating in?

I always assumed that Florida's large Hispanic population was the reason it is usually close.

New Hampshire makes less sense to me.

I always assumed that Florida's large Hispanic population was the reason it is usually close.

But remember the Hispanics in south Florida are almost exclusively Cubans.

And they have a history of voting for the Republicans because the GOP has an archaic and stupid Cuban foreign policy that everyone else in the free world abandoned decades ago.

phanan as I recall is from NH, he could probably give the best answer if he sees this. :hmm: I know that state has a reputation for having a libertarian streak; for example, they have neither a general income tax nor a general sales tax (certain special types of income and goods are taxed).

As we've discussed in here before, FL is quite different culturally and socioeconomically from the rest of the South, especially southern FL.

But remember the Hispanics in south Florida are almost exclusively Cubans.

And they have a history of voting for the Republicans because the GOP has an archaic and stupid Cuban foreign policy that everyone else in the free world abandoned decades ago.

While, the other obvious reason for Florida is because it is a coastal state. Lots of people from other states retire to Florida. Lots of celeb-types have second or even first homes in places like Miami or Orlando. The beaches and water there, and the culture that that creates, causes the makeup of the state population-wise to be considerably different from that of say, Alabama or whatever.

But New Hampshire's difference isn't as obvious.

NH is the only Kerry state that looks iffy for Obama.

It will be interesting to see how things shake out over there.

i am incredibly disappointed that deep is rumormongering in here. it's sad and pathetic and it's made me switch my vote from Obama to McCain.

now i'm never coming back to FYM again because of this shameless rumormongering.

not so much moderate as more FOAD types.

New Hampshire GOPers tend to be more like people from the big, square big sky states out West. there's no sales tax in NH (which is why everyone buys their booze there). the state motto is "Live Free or Die." essentially, all the pot-smoking hippie elitists live in VT and the gun-toting aggressive leave-me-lone types live in NH.

there's also a virtual lack of any urban areas. even though VT and ME are rural, they have educated urban-ish areas (Burlington, Portland). also, many, many New Yorkers and Bostonians have 2nd homes in Vermont, which has a better vacation infrastructure than does NH, and many eventually move there permanently (they're known as "flatlanders"). NH is starting to change as the Boston suburbs spread further and further north, but

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom