US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8 - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2008, 10:25 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
in the Gallup Poll, which we've been told repeatedly is the only poll that matters, Obama remains in the lead, 49-43%. this includes polling taken since yesterday, so it includes half the convention.
Actually McCain's slipped a point so it's 49-42.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:47 PM   #32
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Actually McCain's slipped a point so it's 49-42.

CBS Poll: McCain, Obama Tied, McCain Closes Eight-Point Gap From Poll Taken Last Weekend - CBS News

doesnt carry much weight.

<>

Old 09-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

From Drudge...

BIG DILEMMA: OPRAH BALKS AT HOSTING SARAH PALIN; STAFF DIVIDED
Fri Sep 05 2008 08:55:46 ET

Oprah Winfrey may have introduced Democrat Barack Obama to the women of America -- but the talkshow queen is not rushing to embrace the first woman on a Republican presidential ticket!

Oprah's staff is sharply divided on the merits of booking Sarah Palin, sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT.

"Half of her staff really wants Sarah Palin on," an insider explains. "Oprah's website is getting tons of requests to put her on, but Oprah and a couple of her top people are adamantly against it because of Obama."

One executive close to Winfrey is warning any Palin ban could ignite a dramatic backlash!

It is not clear if Oprah has softened her position after watching Palin's historic convention speech.

Last year, Winfrey blocked an appearance by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, timed to a promotional tour of his autobiography.

Oprah and executive producer Sheri Salata, who has contributed thousands of dollars to Obama's campaign, refused requests for comment.

------

I'm disappointed in Oprah. Though I've never exactly been a fan of hers anyway.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:11 AM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
From Drudge...

Oprah Winfrey may have introduced Democrat Barack Obama to the women of America -- but the talkshow queen is not rushing to embrace the first woman on a Republican presidential ticket!

Oprah's staff is sharply divided on the merits of booking Sarah Palin, sources tell the DRUDGE REPORT.

"Half of her staff really wants Sarah Palin on," an insider explains. "Oprah's website is getting tons of requests to put her on, but Oprah and a couple of her top people are adamantly against it because of Obama."

One executive close to Winfrey is warning any Palin ban could ignite a dramatic backlash!

It is not clear if Oprah has softened her position after watching Palin's historic convention speech.

Last year, Winfrey blocked an appearance by Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, timed to a promotional tour of his autobiography.

Oprah and executive producer Sheri Salata, who has contributed thousands of dollars to Obama's campaign, refused requests for comment.

------

Who really cares? It's Oprah's show, she can have on whomever she wants.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:13 AM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:49 AM
So much for empowering all women equally.

<>
Old 09-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
It's Oprah's show, she can have on whomever she wants.
I know. I'm just disappointed. If she doesn't have her on, she'd be putting her politics above what would be really great television and surely a ton of viewers.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:49 PM
Quote:
I know. I'm just disappointed. If she doesn't have her on, she'd be putting her politics above what would be really great television and surely a ton of viewers.
That I can agree with you on. I'm just saying it's not really worth being upset or disappointed about. I love Oprah, but if she's going to be biased even in terms of her show guests, I disagree, but it doesn't really bother me.
Old 09-05-2008, 11:39 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Looks like the Democrats are forcing a vote on Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act in September in order to embarrass McCain.

Smart move.
Old 09-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
From Drudge...

------

Perhaps

she will be allowed on the Ellen show

I think Ellen's stock is rising

and Oprah's is declining
Old 09-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #40
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:49 PM
Has Oprah ever had a national-level politician on her show before? I know she endorsed Obama and appeared at a few early primary rallies, then got so much flak from viewers for being 'too political' that she dropped her plans to continue (which I'd imagine is a factor in her wariness at the idea of having Palin on her show). She's hardly a serious political interviewer anyway; it's just a tabloid talk show.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
Has Oprah ever had a national-level politician on her show before? I know she endorsed Obama and appeared at a few early primary rallies, then got so much flak from viewers for being 'too political' that she dropped her plans to continue (which I'd imagine is a factor in her wariness at the idea of having Palin on her show). She's hardly a serious political interviewer anyway; it's just a tabloid talk show.

Old 09-05-2008, 02:20 PM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
you highly underestimate oprah's influence. she is our supreme leader, we just don't know it yet.
Old 09-05-2008, 02:24 PM   #43
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:49 PM
I don't watch television (heinously unpatriotic in itself, I know), so my estimation of her dictatorial skills may be lacking.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-05-2008, 03:41 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:49 AM
giving Oprah a little more thought

Has Joe Biden done Oprah yet?
If not, just don't book Biden and say you have no plans to book the Republican VP either.

Has she had McCain on ?

If not, it would be a smart move.
Old 09-05-2008, 03:45 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
giving Oprah a little more thought

Has Joe Biden done Oprah yet?
If not, just don't book Biden and say you have no plans to book the Republican VP either.

Has she had McCain on ?

If not, it would be a smart move.
I'm pretty sure Biden hasn't been on ever, and I haven't heard plans for him to be on either.

Oprah said that she has never gotten involved in a campaign before Obama. She also said that she doesn't think donating $ to him is the most constructive thing she can do, so that is what she will use her influence for instead. It is most certainly her prerogative.

Tags
mccain, obama, politics