US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8 - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2008, 07:04 PM   #346
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
What, no benefit of the doubt?
Well what do you think she meant to say? Maybe you can clarify.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:09 PM   #347
ONE
love, blood, life

I think she meant to say that they understand the price of war. Her great grandfather fought in WWII, was away from home for many years, and died the day he came home. Her fathers captivity, torture, and eventual release, paid a price on his first family, and impacted his physical abilities for the rest of his life. Her grandfather made wartime decisions with bombing, that could have been dropped on his captive son. So, yes, her father is better suited than any of the candidates, as is her family, in the price that war has on American lives.

Old 09-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #348
War Child

Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Local Time: 06:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Red/ Blue area maps are really pointless.

In Nevada. if one got all the voters in only Vegas and Reno 5% of the most populated area, they would probably get 95 % of the entire population.

If area is what matters
than Russia is the winner.

Voters should be all that matters.

I have been voting in CA since the 70s

and my vote for President has neven been important.

Right now I believe only voters in Ohio, NH, Colorado and perhaps Virginia have any real say in Nov 2008.

Thats why our all or nothing electoral system sucks.

I feel a system like the one used for the nominations would be better. Getting electorates based on the percentage of the vote. The Republicans would not be locked out of places like CA and NY and the Democrats would have middle America in play. All votes would be important not the ones from a just a few states. Voter turn out might be better if everyone's vote really did matter. It will never happen though. I dont think either side would be willing to give up is strong holds.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #349
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
I think she meant to say that they understand the price of war.
Then she should have spoken in terms of the candidates and not generally.

There are many (thousands?) of other families in the US who understand the price of war as well as her family does.

And millions more around the world who I believe arguably understand the price of war even better.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #350
ONE
love, blood, life

I did not realize she was an experienced politician.

I for one do not believe McCain's surge in the polls has a lot to do with the convention. It has to do with the attacks and mudslinging. Currently, the more moderate voters are being pushed their way do to the treatment of people not running for the office.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #351
War Child

Quote:
I think she meant to say that they understand the price of war. Her grandfather fought in WWII, was away from home for many years, and died the day he came home. Her fathers captivity, torture, and eventual release, paid a price on his first family, and impacted his physical abilities for the rest of his life. So, yes, her father is better suited than any of the candidates, as is her family, in the price that war has on American lives.

I agree with your assessment. They are a military family that has suffered physically and emotionally due to the service of our country. I think she was speaking with regards the their family's perspective on service and sacrifice.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:15 PM   #352
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I did not realize she was an experienced politician.
Who said she was? She wasn't making a political statement nor asserting a policy directive.

I'm not sure what experience you believe one needs in order not to make statements like that?

She is an adult "child" who is being sent out on the campaign trail. Which is why I said if they want her to play that role, they should give her acceptable talking points.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:19 PM   #353
ONE
love, blood, life

Then let's make adds and put it out there on the TV. And the Right can put out ADD's with Obama and his wife with their slips and we will not debate the issues, and you can bet your sweet ass, that the voters will go the republican way when the mud slinging is done.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #354
Blue Crack Addict

I think the way you throw around "mud slinging" and similar overreactive phrases, they've really lost all of their shock value.

Nobody is mud slinging here, it's an observation which struck me as particularly irritating since it's always the Republicans who act as if they hold the trademark for patriotic virtue.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:21 PM   #355
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Then she should have spoken in terms of the candidates and not generally.

There are many (thousands?) of other families in the US who understand the price of war as well as her family does.

And millions more around the world who I believe arguably understand the price of war even better.
And Michelle Obama should have spoken with regards to be proud to be an American. Or proud to live in a country where the efforts of men like MLK have allowed her husband aspire to become President. Not this is the 1st time I have been proud of my country.

This kind of Gotch politics does nothing but muddy the waters when we all know better. "But you said 'My Muslim Faith.' I heard you say it. I saw it on YouTube!"
Old 09-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #356
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
And Michelle Obama should have spoken with regards to be proud to be an American. Or proud to live in a country where the efforts of men like MLK have allowed her husband aspire to become President. Not this is the 1st time I have been proud of my country.
McCain said he didn't really love his country until he was a POW, so what? Did anybody make ads of that? No, because it's as dumb as the ones against Michelle (which by the way the right jumped all over).

There is no gotcha politics here as I don't think anybody is making ads or writing articles about this. I brought it up because I saw it on YouTube and thought it was a dumb thing to say. Who's saying "gotcha" here? I don't see anybody pushing for this to be an issue.

As an aside, I also found it incredibly irritating when Laura Bush said that "nobody" suffers as much as George Bush does over this war. It's insulting to people who have lost others. Pointing out the insensitivity of a statement isn't mud slinging or playing gotcha politics.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #357
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I think she meant to say that they understand the price of war. Her great grandfather fought in WWII, was away from home for many years, and died the day he came home. Her fathers captivity, torture, and eventual release, paid a price on his first family, and impacted his physical abilities for the rest of his life. Her grandfather made wartime decisions with bombing, that could have been dropped on his captive son. So, yes, her father is better suited than any of the candidates, as is her family, in the price that war has on American lives.

But lets not forget that Obama has the military service question covered

Quote:
Mr Obama was asked by George Stephanopoulos of ABC's "This Week" programme whether he'd ever thought about military service and replied: "You know, I actually did. I had to sign up for Selective Service [a means of conscription in case of war] when I graduated from high school.

"And I was growing up in Hawaii. And I have friends whose parents were in the military. There are a lot of Army, military bases there.

"And I actually always thought of the military as an ennobling and, you know, honourable option. But keep in mind that I graduated in 1979. The Vietnam War had come to an end. We weren't engaged in an active military conflict at that point. And so, it's not an option that I ever decided to pursue."

I have not read his two memoirs
but friends that have do not remember Obama talking about his desire to be in the military service

And please keep in mind that is was 1979 when Obama graduated, the action was over

if it was 1970 and the boys were coming home in flag draped coffins,
Obama would have been fist in line to sign up for a "dumb" war?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #358
ONE
love, blood, life

I have not attacked you personally, I made a point. Overreactive? How about you cut the personal observations of my postings out and respond to the content?

Do you believe going after his daughter for the statement she made is going to help Obama or not?

Do you believe that the gains of the last week are due to the Convention? Or could it be the blogosphere rumors about Palin and her family are taking their toll?

The point I made over a week ago is coming true. The center will move right when families are attacked.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #359
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Do you believe going after his daughter for the statement she made is going to help Obama or not?
Can you point out who is going after her?

Have there been published articles in major news sources? Reports on CNN, NBC and the like? Ads put out by the Obama campaign? By a 527?
Old 09-09-2008, 07:30 PM   #360
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post

She is an adult "child" who is being sent out on the campaign trail. Which is why I said if they want her to play that role, they should give her acceptable talking points.

Well,

at least she did not say,

"I am a Muslim"
or

"Over the last 15 months, we’ve traveled to every corner of the United States. I’ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go. Alaska and Hawaii, I was not allowed to go to even though I really wanted to visit, but my staff would not justify it."

Tags
mccain, obama, politics