US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8 - Page 23 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #331
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Glad you see it that way.

And Biden's strengths are effecting the Obama ticket in a very positive way.
Biden most likely put PA safely in Obama's column.

And he was a good pick because no one said. WTF

Hillary would have put the whole contest safely in Obama's column.

If Obama wins, and he should, the Obama pick will bo down as a good one.

If Obama loses we will always hear that if Hillary had been the nominee,
thay would have won.

Old 09-09-2008, 01:25 PM   #332
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:37 AM
Barack Obama will be appearing on The Late Show with David Letterman on Wednesday, 9/10/08.

Just thought I'd post that

Old 09-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #333
Babyface

Local Time: 11:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond View Post
Don't look now Boo boo but McCain has opened up a 15 point lead among Independents:

McCain Now Winning Majority of Independents

<>
I don't post here a lot I just mostly read the posts. I'd like to say your BOLD post reminded me a lot of the republican convention which I felt was full of snobishness, meaness, sarcasam and a feeling of being elite. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #334
Refugee

Local Time: 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
except that it is.
Thats only true if you think Biden was selected because he was the ONLY one qualified to be VP for Obama.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:27 PM   #335
Refugee

Local Time: 05:37 PM
Wow, an impressive bounce with the independents for McCain from the convention.

Quote:
September 9, 2008
McCain Now Winning Majority of IndependentsMajority of independents now prefer him over Obama, 52% to 37%

PRINCETON, NJ -- John McCain's 6 percentage-point bounce in voter support spanning the Republican National Convention is largely explained by political independents shifting to him in fairly big numbers, from 40% pre-convention to 52% post-convention in Gallup Poll Daily tracking.

By contrast, Democrats' support for McCain rose 5 percentage points over the GOP convention period, from 9% to 14%, while Republicans' already-high support stayed about the same.

The surge in political independents who favor McCain for president marks the first time since Gallup began tracking voters' general-election preferences in March that a majority of independents have sided with either of the two major-party candidates. Prior to now, McCain had received no better than 48% of the independent vote and Obama no better than 46%, making the race for the political middle highly competitive.

Layering voters' political ideology over their party identification provides the additional finding that the slim group of "pure independents" -- those with no political leanings to either major party -- grew more favorable to McCain by an even larger amount over the past week or so. McCain was preferred over Obama by 20% of pure independents in Gallup Poll Daily tracking from Aug. 29-31. In the latest three-day rolling average, from Sept. 5-7, he is favored by 39% of non-leaning independents, a 19-point increase. (Nearly 40% of pure independents remain undecided.)

The more modest expansion of McCain's support among Democrats has come mainly from the right wing of that party, with 25% of conservative Democrats now favoring him over Obama, compared with 15% just before the Republican gathering. Moderate and liberal Democrats show only slightly more support for McCain than they did prior to the GOP convention.

There has been no change in the presidential preferences of either conservative Republicans or moderate-to-liberal Republicans.

In contrast to the differential shifts in support for McCain by party and ideology, Gallup Poll Daily tracking finds a uniform rise in support for McCain since late August among men and women. The percentage of men supporting McCain over Obama pre- and post-Republican convention rose from 46% to 52%, while the percentage of women rose from 41% to 46%.

Voters 30 and older are more likely to be supporting McCain than they were just prior to the Republican convention, but not young voters. In contrast to the 7-point jumps in support seen among those aged 50 to 64, and 65 and older, there has been a 1-point decline in support among 18- to 29-year-olds.

Regionally, Gallup finds solid gains for McCain in all areas of the country except the West, where his already fairly high support has held steady. However, the 9-point increase for McCain in the South on top of his previous 49% support level in that region makes the South now overwhelmingly pro-McCain, 58% to 36%.

The events on the Republican stage in St. Paul, Minn., from Sept. 2-4 appear to have provided two important boosts to the McCain-Palin ticket.

First, according to the latest USA Today/Gallup poll, conducted Sept. 5-7, McCain has energized his Republican base and, as a result, has potentially strengthened his positioning on Election Day with "likely voters." Second, as the Gallup Poll Daily trends discussed here show, voter movement toward McCain since the Republican convention occurred mainly with independents, thus broadening McCain's appeal beyond the party.

Republicans had already lined up for McCain before the convention started. Now, they are excited, and are joined by more independents than at any other time in the campaign. Those gains may not last -- "bounces" rarely do -- but they enable McCain to launch the next phase of the campaign with the knowledge of what his winning coalition might look like.

McCain Now Winning Majority of Independents

McCain has 46% of the female vote, 52% of the male vote, and over 50% of the vote of all age groups except 18 to 29.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:11 PM   #336
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
I think you are giving a lot of credit to Biden who was not very strong in the debates for the Democratic nomination.
You could say a lot of things about Biden to knock him down, that he opposed the '91 Gulf War, that's he's a typical Northeastern liberal, that he tanked his own '88 run because of plaigarism, it's hard to argue with any of that but to say he was not strong in the Dem primary debates is just literally asanine.

In fact, at a time when the media couldn't stop themselves from ignoring the other 6 or 7 people on stage who's names weren't Obama, Clinton or Edwards, nearly every pundit I heard on cable news, from FOX to MSNBC said Biden was excellent in each debate.

Did that translate into votes? Of course not.
I don't blame you for not knowing how well he did, you, like most Americans probably didn't even watch.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:13 PM   #337
War Child

Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
You could say a lot of things about Biden to knock him down, that he opposed the '91 Gulf War, that's he's a typical Northeastern liberal, that he tanked his own '88 run because of plaigarism, it's hard to argue with any of that but to say he was not strong in the Dem primary debates is just literally asanine.

In fact, at a time when the media couldn't stop themselves from ignoring the other 6 or 7 people on stage who's names weren't Obama, Clinton or Edwards, nearly every pundit I heard on cable news, from FOX to MSNBC said Biden was excellent in each debate.

Did that translate into votes? Of course not.
I don't blame you for not knowing how well he did, you, like most Americans probably didn't even watch.
I did watch them all because I find all of this on both side very interesting. You could be right in the assessment about the focus on Obama, Clinton and Edwards. I just dont recall anything that made Biden stick out in my opinion but that might be because of the focus.

That said, I stick by my assessment that how they come across to the American people will be as important as what they say. Case in point from the past. Kennedy v. Nixon. People watching the debate said Kennedy won. He was confident, good-looking, etc. Nixon was sweating and lacking the Kennedy swagger. For those listen in radio, it was a landslide win for Nixon.

Again, I'm looking forward to watching this one
Old 09-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #338
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:37 PM
If they are going to be sending Meghan McCain out to do interviews, at least feed her some inoffensive statements. Instead she today asserted that "No one knows what war is like other than my family. Period."

Oookay.

YouTube - Megan McCain disses other military families on TODAY SHOW
Old 09-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #339
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
If they are going to be sending Meghan McCain out to do interviews, at least feed her some inoffensive statements. Instead she today asserted that "No one knows what war is like other than my family. Period."

Oookay.

YouTube - Megan McCain disses other military families on TODAY SHOW
True. Dumb statement but I think you know what she meant. Just like Obama was not really talking about "His Muslim faith."
Old 09-09-2008, 06:34 PM   #340
Blue Crack Addict

YouTube - Education.

sometimes abstinence

really is better
Old 09-09-2008, 06:35 PM   #341
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

That said, I stick by my assessment that how they come across to the American people will be as important as what they say. Case in point from the past. Kennedy v. Nixon. People watching the debate said Kennedy won. He was confident, good-looking, etc. Nixon was sweating and lacking the Kennedy swagger. For those listen in radio, it was a landslide win for Nixon.

Again, I'm looking forward to watching this one
Agreed, although it's surely a different era, I think feelings/emotional gut reaction are just as important as most issues to a lot of voters.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #342
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:37 PM
Quote:
True. Dumb statement but I think you know what she meant.
Even if she meant that her family knows better than anyone else's what the impact of war is (as opposed to saying it's the only family who understands), it would be an appallingly insulting statement.

I'm assuming that's what she meant and it doesn't really make it any better in my eyes. In fact I find it personally insulting.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:46 PM   #343
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2DMfan View Post
Agreed, although it's surely a different era, I think feelings/emotional gut reaction are just as important as most issues to a lot of voters.
I agree with you, it was a very different era.

I live in Los Angels but travel to AZ, NM, NV and people I meet are different in all these places. What I find most important here in LA might be different for someone in Davenport, IA or Lincoln, AK. I guess it will come down to what the people in CO, OH, NV, NM, and FL think. I know CA is done. The election day map will show the entire state in red with the exception of LA and SF but that will be more than enough for the Dems.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #344
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Even if she meant that her family knows better than anyone else's what the impact of war is (as opposed to saying it's the only family who understands), it would be an appallingly insulting statement.

I'm assuming that's what she meant and it doesn't really make it any better in my eyes. In fact I find it personally insulting.

What, no benefit of the doubt?

Would it be different if it was Michelle Obama on that clip? Remember, she got nailed for the "1st time I have been proud of my country" statement. It was a poor choice of words on her part. Did you feel the same about her? As an American did you find her words insulting?

I would think having a father that spent 5 years in a Vietnam prison while serving his country, in the same way as being a wounded Vet like John Kerry, you would afford some grace.

It does not always happen, obviously. But, IMO, it doesn't make it right.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:02 PM   #345
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

The election day map will show the entire state in red with the exception of LA and SF but that will be more than enough for the Dems.

Red/ Blue area maps are really pointless.

In Nevada. if one got all the voters in only Vegas and Reno 5% of the most populated area, they would probably get 95 % of the entire population.

If area is what matters
than Russia is the winner.

Voters should be all that matters.

I have been voting in CA since the 70s

and my vote for President has neven been important.

Right now I believe only voters in Ohio, NH, Colorado and perhaps Virginia have any real say in Nov 2008.

Tags
mccain, obama, politics