US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8 - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2008, 01:51 PM   #271
Refugee

Local Time: 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

again, this misses the issue. Barack Obama is clearly *prepared* to be president as demonstrated by 18 months of campaigning where we've gotten specific, detailed, nuanced proposals and positions on a wide variety of topics. we have his judgment on various national and international issues, and most critically, he has demonstrated such judgment in the selection of his own VP, which is the biggest decision of any presidential campaign. say what you will about Biden's politics, but the fact remains that Biden is a generally conservative, cautious pick who's deeply versed in foreign policy. it was very professional. you can disagree with the substance, but it's hard to disagree with the thought process that led Obama to this pick.
Well, Sarah Palin has been to the Persian Gulf. When was Barack Obama's first trip to the Persian Gulf?

I'll ask this again, at what point in time did Barack Obama became qualified, or prepared to be President?

Quote:
Tim Kain wasn't picked, so i don't know why you'd even bring him up.
Um, he was strongly considered. Barack Obama met with him, so obviously he was considered to be qualified and prepared to be President by Barack Obama. He along with Evan and Joe were Obama's top 3 picks.

So once again, at what point in time do you feel that Tim Kaine became qualified or prepared to be President of the United States?

Quote:
as for Gov. Clinton, again, as you noted with the then Gov. Bush, the issue is preparedness, not "qualifications." Palin is a total blank slate when it comes to foreign policy. she has no expressed interest on the topic. she's been governor of a strange state for 18 months, whereas Clinton had several terms.
When did Governor Clinton become qualified or prepared to be President in your view? Prior to running for President, can you show us anything that would demonstrate an expressed interest in Foreign Policy by Governor Clinton, the Governor of one of the most important states in the country, Arkansas?

Old 09-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #272
War Child

Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Local Time: 04:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
When did Governor Clinton become qualified or prepared to be President in your view? Prior to running for President, can you show us anything that would demonstrate an expressed interest in Foreign Policy by Governor Clinton, the Governor of one of the most important states in the country, Arkansas?

Well, Arkansas is the home of Walmart, so he must know about foreign relations with China where everything is made.

Old 09-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #273
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:20 PM
Hmm. Let's see what Karl Rove has to say on the subject of picking a governor with little experience who used to be a mayor of a small town:

YouTube - KARL ROVE SLAMS MCCAIN ON PALIN VP PICK

Interesting.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #274
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:20 PM
colorado, ohio, new mexico and new hampshire. the only thing that matters is what these people think.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #275
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Well, Sarah Palin has been to the Persian Gulf. When was Barack Obama's first trip to the Persian Gulf?

I'll ask this again, at what point in time did Barack Obama became qualified, or prepared to be President?

Um, he was strongly considered. Barack Obama met with him, so obviously he was considered to be qualified and prepared to be President by Barack Obama. He along with Evan and Joe were Obama's top 3 picks.

So once again, at what point in time do you feel that Tim Kaine became qualified or prepared to be President of the United States?

these are totally fatuous equivocations that dodge the issue -- Sarah Palin has at no point in her career demonstrated any sort of interest in national or international affairs. she has not demonstrated that she is prepared to be president.

there is no magic date as to when someone becomes magically "prepared" -- if someone runs for office, it's well to assume that they themselves believe themselves to be prepared. and the judgment is then left up to the voters. 18 million of them. as they run on a national platform.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #276
Blue Crack Addict

But Irvine, Alaska is close to Russia, *duh*
Old 09-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #277
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by U2democrat View Post
But Irvine, Alaska is close to Russia, *duh*

and Sarah Palin has been to Kuwait. thus, she knows all about the Middle East.

what is interesting is how completely McCain has tried to co-opt the message. listen to his convention speech. it's all "change" and "let's work together" and totally empty on policy. it's substituted the personal for the political, and the platitude for the policy.

again, they've become everything that they once accused Obama of being.

though it's important to note that the McCain camp clearly gave up on using the "he's inexperienced" line of attack. instead, they've tried to co-opt change and reassert the "Maverick" with the convention, and it certainly is exciting and that's been reflected in the polls. no question. however, it seems to me that it's going to be difficult to convince the country that you want another 4 years of the same disastrous party that brought you the past 8 years. McCain has all but pulled the trigger on Bush. but i don't think he'll be able to get him to effectively die so that Mr. 30%-on-a-good-day won't be a liability on 11/4. ultimately, McCain positioning himself -- a 72 year old Republican who voted with Bush on taxes and Iraq -- as an agent of change is logically preposterous.

we'll see if they can keep up the charade until election day.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:52 PM   #278
Blue Crack Distributor

what do you think of two events that i think have a reasonable chance of happening this election...

1) obama wins the popular vote by a fairly large margin, thanks to overwhelmingly large turnouts in high population areas (NYC, LA, Chi, etc.) but loses the electoral college.

2) 269
Old 09-08-2008, 02:55 PM   #279
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
what do you think of two events that i think have a reasonable chance of happening this election...

1) obama wins the popular vote by a fairly large margin, thanks to overwhelmingly large turnouts in high population areas (NYC, LA, Chi, etc.) but loses the electoral college.

2) 269

i have no idea on either.

perhaps they'll just let the SCOTUS decide again.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:58 PM   #280
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headache in a Suitcase View Post
colorado, ohio, new mexico and new hampshire. the only thing that matters is what these people think.
Obama will likely get New Hampshire. Virginia is a more of a question mark at this point.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #281
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:20 AM
While governor of Arkansas, Bill Clinton served as chair of both the National Governors' Association and the Democratic Leadership Council, both national-level organizations; the DLC formulates policy stances on a comprehensive range of US domestic and foreign issues, while the NGA primarily focuses on liaison between the federal and state governments. Jimmy Carter, while governor of Georgia, served as the DNC chair for all congressional and gubernatorial campaigns. Those are the kinds of things state-level executives with aspirations to move onto the national stage do--especially when they're single-termers (or less) from 'unimportant' states and thus lacking in name recognition and connections compared to, say, multi-term governors of CA or TX. And anyone who successfully campaigns for their party's presidential nomination (as opposed to VP nominees who are appointed) will obviously have spent many months developing their own platform on both domestic and foreign policy issues, in the unlikely event that they didn't have the foundations of one already (as any US Congressman certainly would, since they're voting on those issues all the time and had to campaign in their home state as such).

A trip to Germany and Kuwait to pay a social call on your own state's National Guard troops, while a laudable gesture of support, doesn't constitute 'foreign policy experience' nor is it a foreign policy statement.

It's not that hard for a VP candidate to memorize the major policy positions of the presidential candidate who selected them, so I expect Gov. Palin's public statements record on national and international issues will grow exponentially simply by sitting down with Charlie Gibson next weekend. But it will be an unprecedented moment. It shouldn't be.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #282
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
i have no idea on either.

perhaps they'll just let the SCOTUS decide again.
This isn't how it actually works, but it's my personal opinion: in the event of a 269 tie, they should just look at the popular vote.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:13 PM   #283
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
This isn't how it actually works, but it's my personal opinion: in the event of a 269 tie, they should just look at the popular vote.

with a conservative majority on the court, i'm sure they will do their best.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:44 PM   #284
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Virginia is a more of a question mark at this point.

We're working on it.

The hard part, at least for folks like me up in Arlington, is that the northern VA/DC metro area is so heavily liberal/Democratic that there's not much to do locally.

(I believe this was the map in Tim Kaine's win as The Gov, though I'm not sure:

)

The big work to be done is down closer to U2democrat's territory.

Still, though, that map is so similar to that of many states---the heaviest blue areas are in the cities. Since DC can't get itself some damn electoral votes (which is seriously against the very nature of the Constitution), I say let it count as part of Virginia. Then, if the Obama crew could get unregistered voters to sign up in force in DC the same way as they have elsewhere, then Virginia's blue all the way.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #285
Refugee

Quote:
these are totally fatuous equivocations that dodge the issue -- Sarah Palin has at no point in her career demonstrated any sort of interest in national or international affairs. she has not demonstrated that she is prepared to be president.

there is no magic date as to when someone becomes magically "prepared" -- if someone runs for office, it's well to assume that they themselves believe themselves to be prepared. and the judgment is then left up to the voters. 18 million of them. as they run on a national platform.
I'm not asking for a magic date, I'm just asking you when you think Obama, Kaine, and Clinton became prepared to be President.

Its funny how you insist that Sarah Palin must of shown this or shown that prior to her being selected in order for her to be considered "prepared", but you won't answer the exact same questions about Governor Clinton or Govorner Kaine or even Obama. Thats the perfect example of a dodge.

Why do you continue to hold Sarah Palin to some vague higher standard that you would not hold for Clinton, Kaine, or even Obama?

Again, what interest did Clinton or Kaine show in Foreign Policy prior to them running or being consider for VP or P? Come on now, this is the standard you set, so you must know the answer to this.

I've never claimed that Sarah Palin is the best qualified Republican to be VP, just that out of the Republicans who are qualified to be VP, she has the best chance of helping the candidate for President win. It would make no sense to put together a ticket that would be unable to win in November. Team Obama makes the same assesments for picking their VP as well. Putin invades Georgia and Team Obama decides they are going to go with Biden because the top of the ticket is so weak on Foreign Policy.

Tags
mccain, obama, politics