US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8 - Page 16 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-08-2008, 12:02 AM   #226
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
departed Sunday from party doctrine on abortion rights, declaring that as a Catholic, he believes life begins at conception.
Party doctrine? I don't think you quite understand, do you not believe that there are those that personally don't condone but support people's rights?

Old 09-08-2008, 12:06 AM   #227
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2democrat View Post
It's been great. I've been interning since the first week of June, it's been quite a wild ride here in Virginia...looking forward to the final stretch. It's becoming kind of a distraction from my school work
Yes, I've had students who were campaign interns before, and that's always been their experience too. I have worked at the polls, but never for a campaign. A friend of mine from grad school now teaching out east attended the Democratic convention as a delegate--he came by that position mostly because he has some reputation as a blogger on local/state politics, but I assumed as a delegate he must also be working for the campaign, and was surprised when he said he wasn't. He's like me, a professor with three young kids, so I'm impressed merely that he finds time to run a nonacademic political blog, but I was still surprised that he wasn't actually involved with the campaign.

Well, good luck!

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-08-2008, 12:12 AM   #228
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by corianderstem View Post

And speaking of which, I have a totally random question. What happens if one of the candidates drops dead before the election?
I was thinking about that as well yesterday. Anyone have an answer? Would the VP pick become the nominee? Would the election be postponed? Would there be another set of primaries to choose a nominee?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:14 AM   #229
War Child

Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Local Time: 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
It's possible for people to be personally anti-abortion, but to respect and uphold the rights of others to choose for themselves. It doesn't have to be an either - or prospect.
I respect his honesty and his opinion. Personally I would find it very difficult to not vote based on what I personally believe but I respect him for being able to do it..

Sadly, I think this issues gets twisted, The right sees pro-choice woman as baby killers and the left see pro-lifers as intrusive. I know a lot of Pro-choice women, my wife included, who hate the idea of abortion but want to protect personal rights. They wish is that there was better education to prevent unwanted pregnancies by not having them in the 1st place. Same on the other side. Not all Pro-lifers are abortion clinic bombers and religious zealots.

My experience with it was working in an Emergency Room as an EMT and coming across women that had allowed this to become their form of birth control. I had patients who came in complaining of abdominal pain. We run the test, verify pregnancy and the 1st things asked was, :"Do you do abortions?" We found some that were on their 3rd and 4th abortion. This is where I, as a pro-life person, feel that we really need better education. You can preach abstinence, but that doesn't even seem to be working with priests these days. This is the world we have and we have to work within our limitations.

My Christian brothers and sister, yes I am a Conservative Christian if you haven't guessed, may disagree with me but, if we our great desire is to eliminate abortions why can't we compromise on education? Let be realistic about what our kids are doing when we are not around and do what is necessary to prevent these pregnancies. Maybe we can teach the "choice" woman have starts with the choice of birth control. Lets educate them how to make a good choice.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:15 AM   #230
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoVoxSupastar View Post
Party doctrine? I don't think you quite understand, do you not believe that there are those that personally don't condone but support people's rights?
It was a quote from a web site discussing what he said, not something I said.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:18 AM   #231
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
My Christian brothers and sister, yes I am a Conservative Christian if you haven't guessed, many disagree with me but, if we our great desire is to eliminate abortions why cannot we compromise on education. Let be realistic about what our kids are doing when we are not around and do what is necessary to prevent these pregnancies. Maybe we can teach the "choice" woman have starts with the choice of birth control. Lets educate them how to make a good choice.
I agree with you.

This is why Sarah Palin, who preaches abstinence, is so scary to me. It didn't even work with her own kid.

Comprehensive sex education and access to effective birth control are imperative. But it is the RIGHT and not the left that sticks its head in the sand and pretends like these things don't exist. The teachings of the churches in this regard are nothing short of negligent.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:20 AM   #232
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:

My experience with it was working in an Emergency Room as an EMT and coming across women that had allowed this to become their form of birth control. I had patients who came in complaining of abdominal pain. We run the test, verify pregnancy and the 1st things asked was, :"Do you do abortions?" We found some that were on their 3rd and 4th abortion. This is where I, as a pro-life person, feel that we really need better education. You can preach abstinence, but that doesn't even seem to be working with priests these days. This is the world we have and we have to work within our limitations.

My Christian brothers and sister, yes I am a Conservative Christian if you haven't guessed, may disagree with me but, if we our great desire is to eliminate abortions why can't we compromise on education? Let be realistic about what our kids are doing when we are not around and do what is necessary to prevent these pregnancies. Maybe we can teach the "choice" woman have starts with the choice of birth control. Lets educate them how to make a good choice.
I don't think you would find an abortion rights advocate that disagreed with any of that. I know I certainly don't.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:20 AM   #233
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I agree with you.

This is why Sarah Palin, who preaches abstinence, is so scary to me. It didn't even work with her own kid.

Comprehensive sex education and access to effective birth control are imperative. But it is the RIGHT and not the left that sticks its head in the sand and pretends like these things don't exist. The teachings of the churches in this regard are nothing short of negligent.
Exactly...
Old 09-08-2008, 12:21 AM   #234
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
I was thinking about that as well yesterday. Anyone have an answer? Would the VP pick become the nominee? Would the election be postponed? Would there be another set of primaries to choose a nominee?
Oh good, I'm not the only one. I was a little worried that the only response to my question was something along the lines of "what is wrong with you, you morbid freak?"

Old 09-08-2008, 12:23 AM   #235
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
It was a quote from a web site discussing what he said, not something I said.
I understand.

Well just for future reference, you may want to quote sources, it brings a little more credibility...
Old 09-08-2008, 12:26 AM   #236
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I agree with you.

Why is it scary? That seems like a strong word. I can see where you would not agree, but I think it is kind of low on the totem pole of issues in this election. Realistically, what can she do regarding curriculum for sex education? It is a state issue. I'm more interested in the key issues that a Presidential team has a large effect. Economy, Energy, National Security, where will all the money I put in to Social Security over my lifetime be when I it 65?
Old 09-08-2008, 12:31 AM   #237
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I don't think you would find an abortion rights advocate that disagreed with any of that. I know I certainly don't.
I guess the question is what action is being taken on either side. Other than trying to overturn Row v. Wade or fight to keep it, what is happening in the real world, not legislative offices of Washington and the chambers of the Supreme Court.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:34 AM   #238
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Realistically, what can she do regarding curriculum for sex education? It is a state issue.
Well there are many education bills that come to the desk of the president, but I'm sure you are aware of that...

Also, if we have a VP potential President that holds these beliefs it brings a certain legitimacy to this type of backwards thinking...
Old 09-08-2008, 12:35 AM   #239
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Row v. Wade

There's a joke in here somewhere involving water.

(I know it's just a typo, but I couldn't resist.)
Old 09-08-2008, 12:37 AM   #240
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I guess the question is what action is being taken on either side. Other than trying to overturn Row v. Wade or fight to keep it, what is happening in the real world, not legislative offices of Washington and the chambers of the Supreme Court.

the action that pro-choice people take is to fight for abortion to remain legal while supporting comprehensive sex education, fully funded birth control, and the overall advancement and education of women because the more educated women are the more in control of when and how they get pregnant they tend to be. action is also taken by parents who tell their daughters that they are worth more than the status of their virginity, that sex isn't shameful but entirely natural and something that must be approached with caution, knowledge and protection.

so it's a multi-pronged thing.

at the bottom line, every pro-choice person wants each pregnancy to be a wanted pregnancy. many pro-choice people view each and every abortion as a failure, or even a tragedy. but they believe that a woman must be able to control when she does and does not get pregnant.

Tags
mccain, obama, politics