US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8 - Page 13 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2008, 09:10 PM   #181
Refugee

Local Time: 09:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
Agreed. The voter registration stats are much more telling, especially since it's actual stats and not just samples like these polls.
Just because someone registers as a Democrat does not mean they will actually end up voting for the Democratic candidate. Most people look at polling in order to try to predict election results.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:12 PM   #182
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:15 AM
I don't really think any national poll is worth anything, not when Obama is up by 10 or down by 10 or they are tied. Just ask Al Gore how far the popular vote got him.

The state polls I think do have some importance if it's a decent pollster with a pretty good historical record. There are also a lot of new polling outfits and you really don't know what to make of them yet. But I think there is a caveat here, with respect to cell phones (most people I know don't own a home phone; I certainly haven't owned one in 3 years), the huge changes in voter affiliation which have NOT yet been properly accounted for, the under-representation of African American voters which pretty much every reasonable person knows will show up in increased numbers, etc. So while I think state polls are better, I don't believe that relying on 2004-era methodology is necessarily very accurate here. I'd be interested in comparing the polls in the last week before the election with the final outcome.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:16 PM   #183
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
But I think there is a caveat here, with respect to cell phones (most people I know don't own a home phone; I certainly haven't owned one in 3 years), the huge changes in voter affiliation which have NOT yet been properly accounted for, the under-representation of African American voters which pretty much every reasonable person knows will show up in increased numbers, etc. So while I think state polls are better, I don't believe that relying on 2004-era methodology is necessarily very accurate here. I'd be interested in comparing the polls in the last week before the election with the final outcome.
I've been thinking the same thing, with regard to both the polls, and the overblown claims that there should be some importance attached to the number of viewers that watched each respective national convention. Obama's demographic tends to be younger. Therefore, more of them are not the heads of households, more of them are cell phone users, and more of them would tend not to sit around watching conventions, especially during the last week of summer.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:28 PM   #184
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintagePunk View Post
I've been thinking the same thing, with regard to both the polls, and the overblown claims that there should be some importance attached to the number of viewers that watched each respective national convention. Obama's demographic tends to be younger. Therefore, more of them are not the heads of households, more of them are cell phone users, and more of them would tend not to sit around watching conventions, especially during the last week of summer.
I'm 23, and I did
Old 09-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #185
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:15 PM
If Obama wins by electoral college but looses the popular vote I am going to enjoy watching the American left backtrack.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:39 PM   #186
War Child

Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Local Time: 01:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
Multiple punctuation marks aren't helping, nor is your defensive attitude. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, due to actually knowing you, but proving my point in your response to my friendly admonishment leaves you on your own in here. Good luck.

That did not strike me as a "friendly admonishment" hence a defensive attitude.
I'll believe you because you said it and I have no reason to doubt you, but that is not how it came across.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:40 PM   #187
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
If Obama wins by electoral college but looses the popular vote I am going to enjoy watching the American left backtrack.
Are you going to enjoy the slaughter in Iran, or is that something you foresee happening anyway?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:43 PM   #188
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:15 AM
Quote:
the under-representation of African American voters which pretty much every reasonable person knows will show up in increased numbers, etc. .
I really hope you're right.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:45 PM   #189
Refugee

Quote:
But I think there is a caveat here, with respect to cell phones (most people I know don't own a home phone; I certainly haven't owned one in 3 years), the huge changes in voter affiliation which have NOT yet been properly accounted for, the under-representation of African American voters which pretty much every reasonable person knows will show up in increased numbers, etc. .
The situation of people owning cell phones but not having a home phone already existed in 2004. Your party registration is not necessarily how you will vote on election day, the person may not even vote. African Americans primarily live in states where even if they had 100% turnout, the state would still be going red. The African American vote is unlikely to win you states like Ohio and Pennsylvania as Obama found out in the Primaries. Clinton crushed Obama in those states.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #190
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I really hope you're right.
If you look at the primaries, the AA participation really increased once it became clear that Obama had a very good shot at winning. So I have little doubt that these voters will show up in increased numbers. The question is how high will the numbers be?

McCain will be lucky to get 2-3% of the black vote. But for all the talk of Obama's problem with women/Hillary voters/evangelicals/southerners/Catholic Pennsylvanians/rural voters, etc, seems like nobody cares that McCain has a major problem with black voters.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:49 PM   #191
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
The situation of people owning cell phones but not having a home phone already existed in 2004.
Obama wasn't running in '04. Despite the Rock The Vote effort, Kerry didn't have nearly the appeal to that demographic that Obama has. Hence, it wasn't as much of a factor in '04 as it will be this election.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:50 PM   #192
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The situation of people owning cell phones but not having a home phone already existed in 2004. Your party registration is not necessarily how you will vote on election day, the person may not even vote. African Americans primarily live in states where even if they had 100% turnout, the state would still be going red. The African American vote is unlikely to win you states like Ohio and Pennsylvania as Obama found out in the Primaries. Clinton crushed Obama in those states.
The cell phone situation was not as widespread in 2004. I, for one, had a phone line back then, and I don't think I'm unique. Party registration isn't necessarily indicative, but all those thousands of people who actually dropped their Republican affiliation - well they went to the trouble, seems to me they aren't McCain voting. You think that the huge voter registration is going to net no new votes? I think that's insanity and nonsense. The Obama people are not counting on anywhere near 1:1 voting, but they don't need it. A modest increase would be enough in some states. As for AA voters - in Florida alone there were over 600,000 registered AA voters who did not bother voting in 2004. Add to that the tens of thousands registered this time. Add to that the huge energy of the AA community and ask yourself how scary would it be if even a third of these voters turned out on November 4?
Old 09-07-2008, 09:52 PM   #193
Refugee

Quote:
If you look at the primaries, the AA participation really increased once it became clear that Obama had a very good shot at winning. So I have little doubt that these voters will show up in increased numbers. The question is how high will the numbers be?

McCain will be lucky to get 2-3% of the black vote. But for all the talk of Obama's problem with women/Hillary voters/evangelicals/southerners/Catholic Pennsylvanians/rural voters, etc, seems like nobody cares that McCain has a major problem with black voters.
African Americans are only 13% of the population and live primarily in deep red states of the Bible Belt that will stay red no matter how many African Americans vote. Women make up roughly 50% of the population and are evenly distributed through out the country.

McCain has already won the male vote in the country. He leads Obama 48% to 42% among men before the conventions. He is 10 points behind with women, but certainly is pick of Palin will narrow that gap.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:56 PM   #194
Blue Crack Addict

1. Women make up more than 50% of the population.

2. Women vote in higher proportion than men.

3. Some polls have Obama up by as much as 15% among women.

4. Even if that deficit is magically erased by Palin to say 7-8%, still does not bode well for McCain.

5. That is to say nothing of the group that is the biggest X factor - college students. If they can replicate Iowa across college campuses, this election will be over early that evening. Unfortunately, having to rely on this unreliable group is not ideal.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:56 PM   #195
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 03:15 AM
Quote:
He is 10 points behind with women, but certainly is pick of Palin will narrow that gap.

And this is based on what? Did something similar happen with the pick of Geraldine Ferraro?

Tags
mccain, obama, politics