US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8 - Page 12 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #166
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
The weaker candidate.

Old 09-07-2008, 07:31 PM   #167
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:02 PM
Washington Times - Obama's verbal slip fuels his critics

Obama's verbal slip fuels his critics
Christina Bellantoni (Contact)
Sunday, September 7, 2008

ST. LOUIS, Mo. - Sen. Barack Obama's foes seized Sunday upon a brief slip of the tongue, when the Democratic presidential nominee was outlining his Christianity but accidentally said, "my Muslim faith."

The three words -- immediately corrected -- were during an exchange with ABC's George Stephanopoulos on "This Week," when he was trying to criticize the quiet smear campaign suggesting he is a Muslim.

But illustrating the difficulty of preventing false rumors about his faith from spreading, anti-Obama groups within one hour of the interview had sliced it out of context and were sending it around via email. They also were blogging about it.

Mr. Obama, who is a Christian and often proudly speaks about how his faith has influenced his public service, said he finds it "deeply offensive" that there are efforts "coming out of the Republican camp to suggest that perhaps I'm not who I say I am when it comes to my faith."

The exchange came after Mr. Obama said that Republicans are attempting to scare voters by suggesting he is not Christian, which McCain campaign manager Rick Davis said was "cynical."

Asked about it on ABC, Mr. Obama said, "These guys love to throw a rock and hide their hand."

"The McCain campaign has never suggested you have Muslim connections," said Mr. Stephanopoulos, who repeatedly interrupted Mr. Obama during the interview.

"I don't think that when you look at what is being promulgated on Fox News, let's say, and Republican commentators who are closely allied to these folks," Mr Obama responded, and Mr. Stephanopoulos interrupted: "But John McCain said that's wrong."

Mr. Obama noted that when Republican vice presidential nominee Gov. Sarah Palin "was forced" to talk about her pregnant 17-year-old daughter, he issued a forceful statement to reporters that the line of inquiry was "off limits." But he said the McCain campaign tried to tie him to "liberal blogs that support Obama" and are "attacking Governor Palin."

"Let's not play games," he said. "What I was suggesting -- you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith. And you're absolutely right that that has not come."

Mr. Stephanopoulos interrupted with, "Christian faith."

"My Christian faith," Mr. Obama said quickly. "Well, what I'm saying is that he hasn't suggested that I'm a Muslim. And I think that his campaign's upper echelons have not, either. What I think is fair to say is that, coming out of the Republican camp, there have been efforts to suggest that perhaps I'm not who I say I am when it comes to my faith -- something which I find deeply offensive, and that has been going on for a pretty long time."

Asked to comment on the accidental misstatement illustrating the difficulty of the issue, Obama spokesman Bill Burton offered this comment: "I'm not surprised that the only outlet doing this story is The Washington Times."

----

whoops

Old 09-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #168
ONE
love, blood, life

It's not funny when people are so filled with hate and ignorance that they knowingly take something out of context and use it to try to fool people who are even more ignorant into believing it.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:36 PM   #169
War Child

Location: In a house filled with boys, guitars, pets and a lot of love!
Local Time: 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martha View Post
It might be a good idea to calm down, and then get to know the posters in here before jumping down their throats. Maybe reading a few more threads before posting would be a good idea.
How am I jumping down someone throat?? And how do you know what I read on here? Seems a bit judgmental on your part?? I guess I am allowed to have an opinion as long as it falls in line with the majority on here??
Old 09-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #170
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge U2JT View Post
How am I jumping down someone throat?? And how do you know what I read on here? Seems a bit judgmental on your part?? I guess I am allowed to have an opinion as long as it falls in line with the majority on here??
Old 09-07-2008, 07:44 PM   #171
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
I must say, I am starting to feel SLIGHTLY more optimistic than I was about the Democrats.

Biden could eviscerate Palin in the debates.

Then again, he might not. The public seem to think of him as boring, which could be damaging.
He is a good debater so she will have her hands full. He tends to be long winded but he is a smart politician that will, no doubt, come off confident. VP debates usually don't matter much but this one will be huge.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:49 PM   #172
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
Washington Times - Obama's verbal slip fuels his critics

Obama's verbal slip fuels his critics
Christina Bellantoni (Contact)
Sunday, September 7, 2008

ST. LOUIS, Mo. - Sen. Barack Obama's foes seized Sunday upon a brief slip of the tongue, when the Democratic presidential nominee was outlining his Christianity but accidentally said, "my Muslim faith."

The three words -- immediately corrected -- were during an exchange with ABC's George Stephanopoulos on "This Week," when he was trying to criticize the quiet smear campaign suggesting he is a Muslim.

But illustrating the difficulty of preventing false rumors about his faith from spreading, anti-Obama groups within one hour of the interview had sliced it out of context and were sending it around via email. They also were blogging about it.

Mr. Obama, who is a Christian and often proudly speaks about how his faith has influenced his public service, said he finds it "deeply offensive" that there are efforts "coming out of the Republican camp to suggest that perhaps I'm not who I say I am when it comes to my faith."

The exchange came after Mr. Obama said that Republicans are attempting to scare voters by suggesting he is not Christian, which McCain campaign manager Rick Davis said was "cynical."

Asked about it on ABC, Mr. Obama said, "These guys love to throw a rock and hide their hand."

"The McCain campaign has never suggested you have Muslim connections," said Mr. Stephanopoulos, who repeatedly interrupted Mr. Obama during the interview.

"I don't think that when you look at what is being promulgated on Fox News, let's say, and Republican commentators who are closely allied to these folks," Mr Obama responded, and Mr. Stephanopoulos interrupted: "But John McCain said that's wrong."

Mr. Obama noted that when Republican vice presidential nominee Gov. Sarah Palin "was forced" to talk about her pregnant 17-year-old daughter, he issued a forceful statement to reporters that the line of inquiry was "off limits." But he said the McCain campaign tried to tie him to "liberal blogs that support Obama" and are "attacking Governor Palin."

"Let's not play games," he said. "What I was suggesting -- you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith. And you're absolutely right that that has not come."

Mr. Stephanopoulos interrupted with, "Christian faith."

"My Christian faith," Mr. Obama said quickly. "Well, what I'm saying is that he hasn't suggested that I'm a Muslim. And I think that his campaign's upper echelons have not, either. What I think is fair to say is that, coming out of the Republican camp, there have been efforts to suggest that perhaps I'm not who I say I am when it comes to my faith -- something which I find deeply offensive, and that has been going on for a pretty long time."

Asked to comment on the accidental misstatement illustrating the difficulty of the issue, Obama spokesman Bill Burton offered this comment: "I'm not surprised that the only outlet doing this story is The Washington Times."

----

whoops
I hope the Right doesn't try to use crap like this to try to pass off something that is not true. Its insulting when we all know what he meant and it cheapens the process.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:50 PM   #173
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
You tried to jump down my throat for being inconsistent about poll numbers when you didn't even get that my "numbers" post was completely sarcastic, and then even refused to believe it when anitram pointed that out to you. So yeah, you could stand to get to know the posters here.

You could also stand to lose the whole "blinded by liberalism" and "hatred of conservatism" angle until you've shown any evidence that you aren't being completely hypocritical in those claims as well.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:52 PM   #174
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Quote:
I hope the Right doesn't try to use crap like this to try to pass off something that is not true. Its insulting when we all know what he meant and it cheapens the process.
Could you clarify? I'm confused as to what you mean by "crap like this" in reference to the article.

Edit: nevermind - you were referencing the picking up on the 3 words and spreading it. Gotcha.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:53 PM   #175
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
I know. Nobody should think he's a Muslim. It's just a funny and unfortunate mistake on his part, is all.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #176
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:02 PM
Quote:
He is a good debater so she will have her hands full. He tends to be long winded but he is a smart politician that will, no doubt, come off confident. VP debates usually don't matter much but this one will be huge.
Agreed.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #177
War Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
Could you clarify? I'm confused as to what you mean by "crap like this" in reference to the article.

Edit: nevermind - you were referencing the picking up on the 3 words and spreading it. Gotcha.
Yes, the Muslim part.
Old 09-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #178
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:02 PM
wait.

back up.

i thought small ball was the WNBA

Old 09-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #179
She's the One

Quote:
Multiple punctuation marks aren't helping, nor is your defensive attitude. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt, due to actually knowing you, but proving my point in your response to my friendly admonishment leaves you on your own in here. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2008, 09:08 PM   #180
Refugee

Local Time: 09:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
As I and many others have said on this board on numerous occasions, polls are meaningless at this point. Sure, Obama is down a few points right now. Doesn't mean a thing. Something could happen next week to change that. For or against his favor.

And sometimes 2 polls taken at the same time come to different conclusions. My conclusion? They're not all that accurate and shouldn't be given much weight.
So on what day do you think the polls will start to mean something?

I do find the fact that Obama was up by 8 points last Monday and now is down by 3 points today, an 11 point change in just 6 days, is significant.

I take it only polls that show Obama ahead are accurate?

Tags
mccain, obama, politics