US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #8 - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2008, 06:08 PM   #151
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
So Texas, Florida and Michigan three of the largest states went for Hillary and they were not properly allocated in the delegate totals to represent the will of the people that took time to vote.
Just to note, we won't know how Michigan would have voted, because Hillary was the only Democratic candidate on the ballot, as the other candidates abode by the the party's rules that disqualified Michigan for moving up its primary date. That, in itself, made it unfair to attribute Michigan as a "Hillary victory."

Of course, we all know why Michigan et al. moved up their dates, because they were tired of elections being decided by such "diverse" and "populous" states as New Hampshire and Iowa. Yet another reason why we need to scrap these partisan primaries and caucuses in favor of a national runoff election.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #152
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by No spoken words View Post
You were......in the ballpark.
I see what you did there.

I detest the current primary system as well.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:24 PM   #153
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by melon View Post
Just to note, we won't know how Michigan would have voted, because Hillary was the only Democratic candidate on the ballot, as the other candidates abode by the the party's rules that disqualified Michigan for moving up its primary date. That, in itself, made it unfair to attribute Michigan as a "Hillary victory."

Of course, we all know why Michigan et al. moved up their dates, because they were tired of elections being decided by such "diverse" and "populous" states as New Hampshire and Iowa. Yet another reason why we need to scrap these partisan primaries and caucuses in favor of a national runoff election.

There were 8 Democrats initially on the Michigan Ballot.

On election day there were four.

The handwriting was on the wall, Barack Obama, Bill Richardson, Joe Biden, and John Edwards did not want Hillary to take the symbolic win in Michigan so they colluded to pull their names off the ballot.

Why did they not pull their names off in Florida?

Hillary Clinton, Dennis Kucinich, Mike Gravel and Christopher Dodd remained on the ballot.

There was no requirement by the DNC to come off the ballot. Only not to buy ads and campaign. Also there was a huge push to get people to go to the polls and vote "Uncommitted" or what ever that status was.
I recall Obama and Edwards pushing this real hard.

They were sure Uncommitted would beat the Hillary voters, and Hillary would look like a loser.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:25 PM   #154
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildHoneyAlways View Post
I see what you did there.

I detest the current primary system as well.
When a topic pops up in FYM that finds me more knowledgeable than the likes of Melon or Yolland, I have to at least show up. It's like a Haley's Comet sighting or something.

And because I believe in staying on topic, I too am not a huge fan of the primary system, for reasons already eloquently stated.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:29 AM
Quote:
yes, Hillary won the election in Texas, she got the most votes from the voters that went to the polls on primary election day.

but because of a weird caucus thing, where people that voted had a chance to come back at night and caucus - for few hours, Obama got awarded more delegates. .

Texas isn't a good example, though. It was one of the states where Republicans could vote in the Democratic primary, and it was the one where Rush Limbaugh encouraged them to do so just to fuck it up. I can't say for sure, but I seem to remember that most of the Republicans that voted in the Dem primary did, indeed, go for Hillary.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #156
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:29 PM
Defense is of the most importance in baseball. With pitching being the first line of defense, of course.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:44 PM   #157
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Ahh, it takes a few days for the bounce to register.

Here you go.

Enjoy.

Gallup Daily: McCain Moves Ahead, 48% to 45%

my goodness!

how coy you are!

oh, zing!

Rasmussen Reports: The most comprehensive public opinion coverage ever provided for a presidential election.

it's still all just noise.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #158
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:29 AM

All that matters to me:

Quote:
The Rasmussen Reports Balance of Power Calculator currently shows Obama leading in states with 193 Electoral College votes while McCain leads in states with 183 votes (see Quick Campaign Overview). When leaners are included, it’s Obama 264, McCain 247 (see 50-State Summary).

Data from Rasmussen Markets currently gives Obama a 57.4 % chance of winning in November. Other key stats of Election 2008 can still be seen at Obama-McCain: By the Numbers.
Looking to see that 57.4% steadily increase over the next two months....
Old 09-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #159
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:29 AM
I must say, I am starting to feel SLIGHTLY more optimistic than I was about the Democrats.

Biden could eviscerate Palin in the debates.

Then again, he might not. The public seem to think of him as boring, which could be damaging.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #160
Blue Crack Supplier

truth be told, polls the past few weeks are totally meaningless. Obama got probably a bit more of a bump than expected, given that McCain did everything he could to make the bump as small as possible (VP announcement, timing of the RNC). the Palin pick was another act of desperation as well. she's by far the least qualified of his potential picks, but she's the most buzzworthy and gave him a much needed jolt of electricity.

let's see where things are in a week or two, and ultimately, it is the state by state polling that matters.

though all of the above is kind of boring when all you want to do is zing! another poster.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #161
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post

All that matters to me:

Looking to see that 57.4% steadily increase over the next two months....

here's the best site i know: FiveThirtyEight.com: Electoral Projections Done Right
Old 09-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #162
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
though all of the above is kind of boring when all you want to do is zing! another poster.
It's good that you lefties never do that. It's good that you're above the fray.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:54 PM   #163
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Then again, he might not. The public seem to think of him as boring, which could be damaging.
Public opinion will likely be swayed by media commentary. The media was so impressed that Bush could add "2+2" correctly in the 2004 debates that they gave him a free pass on everything else. Kerry, on the other hand, was not so lucky.

I would not be surprised if it happens again, since the bar for logic and reason is set so low for the GOP.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:56 PM   #164
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utoo View Post
Texas isn't a good example, though. It was one of the states where Republicans could vote in the Democratic primary, and it was the one where Rush Limbaugh encouraged them to do so just to fuck it up. I can't say for sure, but I seem to remember that most of the Republicans that voted in the Dem primary did, indeed, go for Hillary.
I know early on there was so much hatred at Hiallry that many GOP voted Obama just to hurt Hillary's prospects.

And also, many of those small red conservative states that will never go Democrat in November are the ones that gave Obama the nomination.
So Obama really is the GOP choice for the Democratic Nomination.

The weaker candidate.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:01 PM   #165
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
I know early on there was so much hatred at Hiallry that many GOP voted Obama just to hurt Hillary's prospects.

And also, many of those small red conservative states that will never go Democrat in November are the ones that gave Obama the nomination.
So Obama really is the GOP choice for the Democratic Nomination.

The weaker candidate.
From speaking to friends of mine that have lived in the US, they thought Obama was a better choice than Hillary because Hillary was so disliked by such a large % of Americans that she didn't have a chance. Obama does not have the history that Hillary has. That could be an advantage.

That doesn't necessarily mean Obama will win, of course.

Tags
mccain, obama, politics