US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's clear abstinence-only education doesn't work, and it has nothing to do with the Bristol story.

Well actually that may not be entirely true. I admit that this is nothing but speculation, but one could make the argument that if Palin was for comprehensive sex-ed, her daughter may have been much more aware of the consequences/risks of unprotected sex and made a more informed decision prior to the act.

Of course kids being kids even with that knowledge she may have ended up in the same situation anyway, but more education couldn't have been a bad thing.

It's clear abstinence-only education doesn't work, and it has nothing to do with the Bristol story. Palin is wrong on this issue.

i appreciate your perspective, and agree with you here. :up:

Another point regarding jesseu2's post above- conservatives believe in taking responsibility for your actions, and I can't think of a situation where that applies more than an unexpected pregnancy. Bristol, with her family behind her, is taking full responsibility and taking the completely proper course of action. God bless her for deciding that she's going to have to grow up quickly and for accepting that her life is going to change drastically due to her actions.

i am glad that Bristol lives in a world where she can choose to take her pregnancy to term, and i am glad she has a supportive family. that will be a lucky baby.

I can't believe the right is just fine with this whole Sarah Palin nomination. Sarah's character is shining through on 2 big levels to me.
First she went back to work only 3 days after giving birth to her child.
Second she put her pregnant daughter out there for the whole world to scrutinize.
She definately puts her 'wants' ahead of her children. I say good luck to her because she's gonna need it. Also can you just imagine what the right would say if she was on the Obama ticket! Come onnnn~!

New CNN state polls:

Ohio
47-45 Obama

Minnesota
53-41 Obama

Iowa
55-40 Obama

Looks to me like McCain will probably concede Iowa and Minnesota barring something really shocking happening in the next 60 days.

Wow, as an Ohio resident who is utterly embarrassed by his state's political leaning, I am elated to see that Obama has taken a slim lead. It's always close in Ohio, but it's usually the Republicans up by a slim margin.

Ohio is not required to win the election(in fact, if we get both New Mexico and Colorado and hold on to Pennsylvania, we can win without getting Ohio, Florida, or Virginia), but it sure would be nice to have it in our column.

The Republicans have a short memory.

MINNEAPOLIS -- Former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee told NBC/NJ today that the recent wave of potentially-damaging news stories about Sarah Palin – including news that her teenage daughter is pregnant – represents a "sexism that is really, really disgusting and embarrassing," and could ultimately galvanize support for the GOP ticket.

Calling media critiques of Palin "unprecedented" ("they never did this to Chelsea Clinton," he said), Huckabee predicted that Palin's victimization would rouse support even from non-Republicans outraged by sexist sentiment.

Luckily, the Internets don't:

"Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly? Because Janet Reno is her father".

-John McCain, 1998

John McCain was in "the media"?

Don't worry, Rush doesn't disappoint:

Columnist Molly Ivins reported (Arizona Republic 10/17/93) this incident from (Rush) Limbaugh's TV show--"Here is a Limbaugh joke: Everyone knows the Clintons have a cat. Socks is the White House cat. But did you know there is a White House dog?" And he puts up a picture of Chelsea Clinton. Chelsea Clinton is 13 years old.

New CNN state polls:

Looks to me like McCain will probably concede Iowa and Minnesota barring something really shocking happening in the next 60 days.

No question. McCain doesn't need those two, and I don't think he was ever going to try too hard there.

Wow, as an Ohio resident who is utterly embarrassed by his state's political leaning, I am elated to see that Obama has taken a slim lead. It's always close in Ohio, but it's usually the Republicans up by a slim margin.

Ohio is not required to win the election(in fact, if we get both New Mexico and Colorado and hold on to Pennsylvania, we can win without getting Ohio, Florida, or Virginia), but it sure would be nice to have it in our column.

I feel Ohio is required.

for McCain /Palin
true they could lose Ohio and still win, I just think is would be difficult.

yes, you are right,
it is not as mandatory for Biden /Obama

Now I may be leaning Biden / Obama

Obama might pursue criminal charges against Bush

Elana Schor in Washington
Wednesday September 03 2008 19:32 BST

Democratic vice-presidential nominee Joe Biden said yesterday that he and running mate Barack Obama could pursue criminal charges against the Bush administration if they are elected in November.

Biden's comments, first reported by ABC news, attracted little notice on a day dominated by the drama surrounding his Republican counterpart, Alaska governor Sarah Palin.

But his statements represent the Democrats' strongest vow so far this year to investigate alleged misdeeds committed during the Bush years.

funny... that same story pushes my lean away from obama.

and hey, it's the hummer argument again!

clinton lied under oath, which is a crime... bush's policies, all be they terribly bad, were not illegal at the time. someone wants to take it to the supreme court to prove them unconstitutional, i'm all for it.

were bush's failed policies 100 times more damaging to our nation than clinton's lying under oath? of course. so whoever wins election should spend all their efforts trying to change those failed policies and fix our standing in the world.

if obama and biden has such a problem with these policies that they plan on pursuing criminal charges against the bush administration they should have done it while it was happening, not as some cheap political ploy to help get elected. if they go further down this road i think it will backfire on them greatly.

if obama and biden has such a problem with these policies that they plan on pursuing criminal charges against the bush administration they should have done it while it was happening

Except that there's nothing you can do, since Congress has to pursue it and Congress was GOP-dominated for six years of it, while the Senate is split enough that a GOP filibuster is inevitable (not to mention that the Republican-sympathetic "Blue Dogs" would never vote for it anyway).

Except that there's nothing you can do, since Congress has to pursue it and Congress was GOP-dominated for six years of it, while the Senate is split enough that a GOP filibuster is inevitable (not to mention that the Republican-sympathetic "Blue Dogs" would never vote for it anyway).

there's always something you can do... get up on your soapbox and shout about it. it is such an important issue that the fear of a GOP filibuster should not be a hinder, unless the democratic party is filled with a bunch of pansy asses. what's wrong with standing up for something you believe in, even if you know full well it won't accomplish anything other than be annoying?

i highly doubt they will go down this road... if they did, there'd be more than two obscure quotes about it.

I feel Ohio is required.

for McCain /Palin
true they could lose Ohio and still win, I just think is would be difficult.

yes, you are right,
it is not as mandatory for Biden /Obama

Just a quick plug for this website for now (as I think that the site Electoral-vote.com: President, Senate, House Updated Daily is a great site to watch during the elections). Anyway, a quote from today's blog regarding Ohio. From the category Lies, Big Lies & Statistics :)
Finally, Ohio is still a cliffhanger, with Obama ahead 47% to 45%. No Republican has even been elected President without Ohio, so this state will continue to be a huge battleground.

I hope to contribute a bit more in these threads soon, as my interest in the US elections has increased quite a bit over the past week.

Obama just needs:

Kerry states + New Mexico, Iowa, Colorado and he has won.

So far, he's got the Kerry states and PA is looking better and better and Michigan just as good, maybe even better. Iowa is a runaway at +15 and CNN's latest poll has New Mexico by 14 points for Obama.

So that leaves Colorado. So basically McCain would have to win Colorado and EVERY REMAINING BATTLEGROUND STATE in order to win this election.

This is the story not being told by the media.

obamaby2.jpg

Obama just needs:

Kerry states + New Mexico, Iowa, Colorado and he has won.

So far, he's got the Kerry states and PA is looking better and better and Michigan just as good, maybe even better. Iowa is a runaway at +15 and CNN's latest poll has New Mexico by 14 points for Obama.

So that leaves Colorado. So basically McCain would have to win Colorado and EVERY REMAINING BATTLEGROUND STATE in order to win this election.

This is the story not being told by the media.

Yes. This is what I have been saying. Colorado is huge. If he doesn't get Colorado, he will need one of Ohio/Virginia/Florida.

^Florida, I'm not seeing. Ohio is a bit of a stretch, but possible, I think. Virginia could go either way, but I feel most confident about Obama winning it out of the three.

^I don't know if you're being sarcastic about this or not, but if one honestly thinks that there is absolutely anything about what Fox News has done here that is professional and appropriate in any way, they need their head examined.

Sure one can say

Obama - Biden, are just their names

but what impression does it leave on the subconscious ?

Osama - Biladen :shrug:

I have not been using the term: Obama - Biden

I will not contribute to subtle the Obama / Osama smears

^Really? It's never once left that impression on my subconcious. I think that says more about the person making the connection and their own fears and prejudices than it ever could about the names themselves. Get real.:huh: (I should clarify that my "Get real" is not directed at you, deep, but to anyone who would actually make that connection.) Sean Hannity, I'm looking at you.:|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom