US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just spoke with Tim Kaine, Mark Warner, and Jim Webb. We Virginia Democrats are a pumped up group of people :hyper: This state really is changing.

You say you just spoke to a governor, a former governor, and a senator like it's completely ordinary for people to speak to such people. :wink: :wink:

I hope we get Virginia in November. We might need it.

Can I just derail this thread for a moment to let all my favorite FYMers know that my son was born yesterday! Just couldn't keep the good news to myself and I wasn't sure how many of you read the Interference blogs.

:hyper: :D

Now, as you were. . .

OMG!!!!!!!! Congrats to you and your family! wondeful news and a happily wanted derailment of a thread! :hug: :applaud:

beautiful baby boy.. pics are wondeful! a very happy family there.. :cute:

But it does affirm that at 48% of thosed polled are voting for McCain, regardless that Palin has a 17 year old pregnant daughter, and she used to influence to fire a state trooper!

IDIOTS!

But it does affirm that at 48% of thosed polled are voting for McCain, regardless that Palin has a 17 year old pregnant daughter, and she used to influence to fire a state trooper!

IDIOTS!

Give those stories time to take flight...:wink:

Not sure when the poll was taken but we didn't find out about the daughter until the weekend and it was a labor day weekend. Personally I don't think the daughter story should matter. But it does make me wonder two things: it makes me question how much McCain really knew, or did he make some hasty pandering I think I may grab some women votes decision?

And how the "parents are to blame" type folks are going to react?

As far as the state trooper story, just like many have said in here it probably won't bother most people because he was a "bad" man. But in actuality it should, if there was an abuse of power it should make people question here ability to hold even more power.

The Democratic convention appears to have helped solidify support for Barack Obama among former Hillary Clinton supporters, with the percent saying they will vote for Obama in November moving from 70% pre-convention to 81% after the convention.

This is the brand new Gallup poll for those who think such things matter.

IDIOTS!

i think it's too bad that you're taking news and using it to confirm an assumption you seem to need to make.

i think people shouldn't vote for McCain because it's clear he makes impulsive, rash decisions that aren't thought through. do you want such a live wire facing down Putin?

that, and he totally, totally caved to the base. he wanted Liberman. but the base would have started a riot in MSP.

as for my own opinion, i don't care for a minute about the status of Ms. Palin's family life.

i do care how her family life has been trotted out as the central reason for many to vote for her. and i find it ironic that this central justification has been totally unhinged.

impressive honesty from former Bush speechwriter David Frum:

That said: Can we conservatives please stop kidding ourselves about Barack Obama's "qualifications"? Yes, if I had been a Democratic donor back in 2006, I'd sure worry about whether Barack Obama had what it took to be president. That was before he took on the toughest political operation in America, before he beat Bill and Hillary Clinton, before he won 18 million primary votes.

Obama's nomination was not handed to him. He fought hard for it and won against the odds. "Qualifications" predict achievement. Once you have achieved, it doesn't matter what your qualifications are. Who cares whether the guy who built a big company from nothing didn't have much of a resume when he started? But if you are applying to run a big company built by somebody else, the resume matters ...

The worst mistake in any fight is to under-estimate your opponent's abilities. Look what happened to the people who under-estimated Reagan. If conservatives are to have any hope in the coming weeks, we should wake up to the fact that we face in Barack Obama a formidable man, who appeals to something important and deep in the American electorate. He's not a superman, he has vulnerabilities, he can be beaten. But he won't be beaten until we who are trying to beat him understand why and how he has come so far.

So the latest CNN poll has them in a dead heat? I guess this just reaffirms what you all feel, right?

That America is made up of a bunch of idiots right?

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

Sure if you want to cherrypick the one poll that seems to be the outlier...

Meanwhile...

The Rasmussen Reports daily Presidential Tracking Poll for Tuesday shows Barack Obama attracting 48% of the vote while John McCain earns 43%. When "leaners" are included, it’s Obama 51%, McCain 45%. This is the highest level of support enjoyed by Obama at any point in Election 2008.

And then there's Gallup...

Gallup Poll Daily tracking from Aug. 30 through Sept. 1, finds Barack Obama leading the race for president with his highest share of support to date. Fully half of national registered voters now favor Obama for president, while 42% back John McCain.

And then this gem from Gallup - lookit dem PUMAs!

Barack Obama leads John McCain 88% to 5% among self-described Democrats (37% of likely voters). McCain leads Obama 83% to 11% among self-described Republicans (34% of likely voters). And Obama leads McCain 45% to 43% among self-described independent voters (29% of likely voters).

Obama hitting 50% is big news.

we'll see what happens, but it's important to note that, right now, McCain should be surging. he held off his VP pick until the day after the opposing nominee gave his speech, something that has *never* been done before and it was meant to blunt the effect of what everyone assumed would be, and certainly was, a historical home run of a speech. and then the GOP convention was timed to be the week after the Dem convention, also never done before.

they've shifted the entire political process around blunting any Obama surge in the polls with the convention, and this is what happens?

one hurricane wasn't the GOPs fault, the other certainly was.

Or Ann Coulter. She's single, right? I'm sensing a :love: connection. She can be his next video ho'.:hyper:

You know today it hit me that we haven't heard Ann Coulter's thoughts on Palin, I mean we all know how much she dislikes McCain...

Palin seems to be right up Ann's alley yet in conflict with some of her anti-feminists beliefs. :hmm:

You know today it hit me that we haven't heard Ann Coulter's thoughts on Palin, I mean we all know how much she dislikes McCain...

Palin seems to be right up Ann's alley yet in conflict with some of her anti-feminists beliefs. :hmm:

Poor Ann. What a quandary. :sad: Although, I must admit I feel blessed not to have heard her(?) insane ramblings in months. The voices in her(?) head must have laryngitis.

So you accept that Palin qualifies as a feminist?

I must admit to being pleasantly surprised.

So you accept that Palin qualifies as a feminist?

I must admit to being pleasantly surprised.

Well that's what the conservatives are calling her, a "feminist for life". With the exception of not having control over her reproductive organs in the case of rape or incest, I can see where you could call her a feminist.

They expected a post-convention boost to bring them to the low 50s.

there's never been a candidate who waited so long to announce his VP selection nor have the conventions ever been back-to-back like this, and the "expected" boost has been increasingly muted over the years due to the 24/7 news cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom