US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So you don't think she would need to be vetted at least slightly? She wasn't asked for a single piece of paper... :shrug:

deep has said a lot of things I disagree with but the one thing he's said that I concur with fully is that Hillary doesn't need to be vetted.

If I were Obama, I'd be careful about making wealth an issue in this campaign...

Haha, yes the Republican meme.

Obama was raised by a single mother on food stamps and was paying off his student loans up until a couple of years ago when he suddenly made $ off his book deal. All the money he has made has come from the books he's written, the royalties and the advances.

Not from marrying a multi-millionaire blonde heiress 20 years his junior.

I thought you Americans gave props to people who rose from the lower classes and through their own hard work became successful? Is the American dream dead?

99% of FYM posters prefer Crest

See, that's just it.

People allow themselves to be easily influenced without doing any real investigations of the true facts.

Most FYMers do probably prefer Crest®

We have been bombarded with all this fluoride crap.

In reality it is gum disease, gingivitis, and plaque that cause more damage and tooth loss than cavities ever will.

The ADA Council on Scientific Affairs' Acceptance of Colgate Total® toothpaste is based on its finding that the product is effective in helping to prevent and reduce tooth decay, gingivitis, plaque above the gumline and bad breath when used as directed.

Haha, yes the Republican meme.

Obama was raised by a single mother on food stamps and was paying off his student loans up until a couple of years ago when he suddenly made $ off his book deal. All the money he has made has come from the books he's written, the royalties and the advances.

I thought you Americans gave props to people who rose from the lower classes and through their own hard work became successful? Is the American dream dead?

:up: Not to mention being an African American male and succeeding against those odds. Easier to be a white guy, blonde heiress or not.

Oh and it's 8 houses, not 7- according to the Washington Post. One being a half million dollar loft they bought for Meghan McCain. That must be nice.

Mitt Romney recently bought another mansion, in CA.

and what's also important is that he actually wrote the books himself. Mark Salter writes McCain's books for him.

after divorcing his first wife who got all ugly after a horrific car wreck.

and John McCain, Prisoner of War, took his second honeymoon in ... wait for it ... Hawaii. elitist!!!

and what's also important is that he actually wrote the books himself. Mark Salter writes McCain's books for him.

after divorcing his first wife who got all ugly after a horrific car wreck.

and John McCain, Prisoner of War, took his second honeymoon in ... wait for it ... Hawaii. elitist!!!

Why is it a shock to people in here that McCain is rich? Both candidates are extremely well-off, and if you're an American citizen who doesn't realize that or who hates either of them for being rich, than you're an idiot.

I think statistics like this say much, much more about the candidates than their wealth does:

In the years 2000 through 2007, Barack Obama donated between 0.4% and 6.1% of his net income to charitable causes.

McCain released his 2006 and 2007 tax returns, and in those years he gave 28.6% and 27.3% of his income to charitable causes.

Why is it a shock to people in here that McCain is rich? Both candidates are extremely well-off, and if you're an American citizen who doesn't realize that or who hates either of them for being rich, than you're an idiot.

I think statistics like this say much, much more about the candidates than their wealth does:

In the years 2000 through 2007, Barack Obama donated between 0.4% and 6.1% of his net income to charitable causes.

McCain released his 2006 and 2007 tax returns, and in those years he gave 28.6% and 27.3% of his income to charitable causes.

Between 2000 and 2005, Obama had no wealth to speak of, and therefore didn't have the means to donate that kind of money. His current wealth is still far, far less than McCain's.

1. yes, both are well off
2. Obama is worth a fraction of what McCain is worth
3. McCain married extraordinary wealth
4. Obama earned his wealth

you realize that McCain can afford to give away less than a third of his income because the McCains are worth hundreds of millions of dollars?

They were paying off student loans. I'm sure they will give more to charity in the future. The McCains are in a much better position to give to charity, and have plenty left for themselves. And 8 homes/condos.

Remember, Bill Gates did not give much money to charity compared to his income until Ted Turner publicly called him out on that-for some perspective on that issue.

This shows me you have a weak grasp of the real picture.

McCain's income is nothing compared to his wealth. He could donate 100% of his income and still be a millionaire off his wife's wealth. Obama doesn't have that...

What's scary is that most Americans will fall for this type of crap.

What's scary is that most Americans will fall for this type of crap.

what is absolutely ridiculous is that some people, and yes I will say people posting in this forum,
seem to have the attitude that having, earning and inheriting money is something distasteful of which one should be ashamed :huh:

ill-gotten gains, sure
questionable gifts, donations, business practices, sure

everyone knows Cindy McCain inherited a boat load from her father.

John and Cindy McCain live a lifestyle far below what many people with their kind of money live

and John McCain has lived a life of service, no one will dispute that, especially Obama, he knows McCain is untouchable on that topic.

Okay, who are these multiple posters? I have asked this question before and even STING himself said he was only referring to Irvine.

So let's back it up boys.

Granted, this was about the primaries rather than the specific issue of McCain vs Obama, but still:-

McCain is DOA. What a sad, pathetic ending, honestly. And he has nobody to blame but himself. The man stands for absolutely nothing anymore.

http://forum.interference.com/f199/mitt-outpaces-rudy-mccain-in-trouble-174785.html#post4374023

Incidentally, and I only noticed this when searching your posts, you have a consistent record of ageist comments against McCain.

Are you prejudiced against elderly white men? Just curious.

what is absolutely ridiculous is that some people, and yes I will say people posting in this forum,
seem to have the attitude that having, earning and inheriting money is something distasteful of which one should be ashamed :huh:

I can't think of one, but no doubt some will twist it that way...

Well I knew you wouldn't be able to find anything that backed up your previous statement...

But this is ridiculous:

Incidentally, and I only noticed this when searching your posts, you have a consistent record of ageist comments against McCain.

Are you prejudiced against elderly white men? Just curious.

You claim she makes agesit comments(which is of some concern when you are talking about the leader of the US) but then why add the "white men" comment? You're always making that stretch aren't you?

Having money isn't bad at all. It's an unreasonable standard in politics anyways, everyone's rich.

Having a hundred million dollar fortune and living a lifestyle extravagant enough to own surplus homes as "investment properties", all the while blasting your opponent as "elitist" for the crime of worrying about food prices and visiting his family in (middle class destination!) Hawaii is pure hypocrisy.

Oh yeah, Cindy and John McCain met and honeymooned in Hawaii.

Well I knew you wouldn't be able to find anything that backed up your previous statement...

You are like the village schoolmaster in the poem 'The Deserted Village' by Oliver Goldsmith:- "For e'en though vanquished, he could argue still."

Basically, the previous statement by Strongbow, which I agreed with, has already been completely vindicated. Several - i.e., more than two - FYM posters on various occasions stated their view that McCain had no chance against Obama, and this has already been proven.

Now, in addition to the two posters who have written off McCain's chance in the election itself, it is fairly clear that Anitram, though she may not have SPECIFICALLY stated that McCain made no chance against Obama, clearly wrote McCain off at a much earlier stage in the process (as did an awful lot of people, to be fair) which is why I find it rather surprising that Anitram would join the chorus demanding evidence of FYM's having written off McCain.

I don't see that finding more then two FYM posters over the course of two years say a particular thing is particularly meaningful or suggesting of a general consensus.

Having a couple hundred million dollar fortune and living a lifestyle extravagant enough to own surplus homes as "investment properties", all the while blasting your opponent as "elitist" for the crime of worrying about food prices and visiting his family in (middle class destination!) Hawaii is pure hypocrisy.

Are you familiar with the properties?

For their worth, their real estate portfolio if not very impressive at all.

And again, the McCains, ( especially John ) do not live an extravagant lifestyles at all.

When in Washington, the McCains live in a modern three-bedroom condominium in a high-rise in Arlington, across the Potomac River in Virginia. It is assessed at $847,800.

In Arizona, the McCains lived until several years ago in Cindy McCain's childhood home in Phoenix, which was featured in the glossy pages of Architectural Digest in 2005. They sold it soon after and moved into a $4.7-million condominium in Phoenix.

The McCains spend weekends, if possible, in the remote rolling hills of Sedona. Their 15-acre compound features a modest residence and several guest cabins beside a creek sheltered in a verdant box canyon. The assessed value is $1.6 million.

The McCains also spent $4.7 million to buy two beachfront condos near the posh Hotel del Coronado in San Diego County.

In an interview with Vogue magazine, Cindy McCain confessed that her husband, who has suffered from skin cancer and must avoid the sun, wasn't initially in favor of buying oceanfront property.

"When I bought the first one, my husband, who is not a beach person, said, 'Oh, this is such a waste of money; the kids will never go,' " she said. "Then it got to the point where they used it so much I couldn't get in the place. So I bought another one."

A McCain campaign spokesman did not immediately respond to an e-mail request for the number of rental and investment properties Cindy McCain and her children own through trusts and partnerships.

One such trust owns a two-bedroom condominium in La Jolla, where Cindy McCain's aunt lives, according to the campaign.

In 2007, another family trust owned by Cindy McCain purchased a $700,000 condo in a Phoenix loft building, apparently for the McCains' adult daughter, Meghan.

The same trust bought a third Phoenix condo for $830,000 two months later.

You are like the village schoolmaster in the poem 'The Deserted Village' by Oliver Goldsmith:- "For e'en though vanquished, he could argue still."

Basically, the previous statement by Strongbow, which I agreed with, has already been completely vindicated. Several - i.e., more than two - FYM posters on various occasions stated their view that McCain had no chance against Obama, and this has already been proven.

Now, in addition to the two posters who have written off McCain's chance in the election itself, it is fairly clear that Anitram, though she may not have SPECIFICALLY stated that McCain made no chance against Obama, clearly wrote McCain off at a much earlier stage in the process (as did an awful lot of people, to be fair) which is why I find it rather surprising that Anitram would join the chorus demanding evidence of FYM's having written off McCain.

you realize that EVERYONE thought McCain had no shot in 2007, but before that he was the undisputed front runner? that, yes, McCain literally came back from the dead, probably because of the Bhutto assassination and the fact that the rest of the GOP candidates were walking nightmares? it was not a remotely unreasonable position to have called McCain DOA all those many months ago, and her second point still stands, and has been doubly proved by his vacuous campaign run by the very men he said would burn in hell for what they did to his family in the South Carolina primaries in 2000.

McCain stands for nothing beyond McCain.

as for Obama winning in a landslide/McCain having no chance, gosh, the polls tighten for one week, and everyone's now declaring Obama lost? he still has enormous advantages and, yes, will likely win. but EVERYONE has qualified their predictions, EVERYONE has offered nuances, and EVERYONE knows that nothing is for certain in politics.

after all, John Ashcroft lost to a dead man and then was named Attorney General.

stranger things have happened.

this triumphalism is silly.

And again, the McCains, ( especially John ) do not live an extravagant lifestyles at all.

no one is saying that the McCains live like hedge fund kids.

what they are saying is that accusations of Obama -- an african american kid of a mother who was abandoned by his father who grew up in hawaii and was on food stamps who won a scholarship to the most prestigious private school in Honolulu and then went to Columbia and Harvard and then didn't get a big 6-figure job and instead worked with poor people in Chicago -- is somehow a bigger "elitist" than John McCain because Obama mentions arugula and berry tea is complete and utter bullshit.

as is the entire McCain campaign. it's shocking how vacuous it is.

He said that like yesterday - you were making these claims weeks ago, remember.

GAF is hardly a poster in FYM in any case. Talk about a drive-by post. So this is all?

Remember this?

McCain is DOA. What a sad, pathetic ending, honestly. And he has nobody to blame but himself. The man stands for absolutely nothing anymore.

I don't see that finding more then two FYM posters over the course of two years say a particular thing is particularly meaningful or suggesting of a general consensus.

No one is claiming that it is. I just said that there has been more than one person in here to claim that the election would not be close. Then some people got all excited and wanted proof of such an outrageous claim.:wink:

I guess in a relative sense to the overall wealth, that's true. Still, seeing multiple houses with "million" in the price tag catches the eye. Obama's single home was bought for $1.65 million, FWIW.

"Does a guy who made more than $4 million last year, just got back from vacation on a private beach in Hawaii and bought his own million-dollar mansion with the help of a convicted felon really want to get into a debate about houses?

McCain has either done all of these things or done them on a bigger scale. But these make Obama out of touch? :shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom