US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7 - Page 63 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #931
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2861U2 View Post
It's clear abstinence-only education doesn't work, and it has nothing to do with the Bristol story.
Well actually that may not be entirely true. I admit that this is nothing but speculation, but one could make the argument that if Palin was for comprehensive sex-ed, her daughter may have been much more aware of the consequences/risks of unprotected sex and made a more informed decision prior to the act.

Of course kids being kids even with that knowledge she may have ended up in the same situation anyway, but more education couldn't have been a bad thing.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:44 PM   #932
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:58 AM
Quote:
It's clear abstinence-only education doesn't work, and it has nothing to do with the Bristol story. Palin is wrong on this issue.

i appreciate your perspective, and agree with you here.

Quote:
Another point regarding jesseu2's post above- conservatives believe in taking responsibility for your actions, and I can't think of a situation where that applies more than an unexpected pregnancy. Bristol, with her family behind her, is taking full responsibility and taking the completely proper course of action. God bless her for deciding that she's going to have to grow up quickly and for accepting that her life is going to change drastically due to her actions.

i am glad that Bristol lives in a world where she can choose to take her pregnancy to term, and i am glad she has a supportive family. that will be a lucky baby.

Old 09-03-2008, 12:48 PM   #933
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
So McCain announcing his VP on Thursday night would have been completely rude to Obama,
Did Obama say this?
Old 09-03-2008, 12:51 PM   #934
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
It's clear abstinence-only education doesn't work, and it has nothing to do with the Bristol story. Palin is wrong on this issue.

Wow, we agree on something...

Except I DO think it has something to do with the Bristol story.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:23 PM   #935
Babyface

I can't believe the right is just fine with this whole Sarah Palin nomination. Sarah's character is shining through on 2 big levels to me.
First she went back to work only 3 days after giving birth to her child.
Second she put her pregnant daughter out there for the whole world to scrutinize.
She definately puts her 'wants' ahead of her children. I say good luck to her because she's gonna need it. Also can you just imagine what the right would say if she was on the Obama ticket! Come onnnn~!
Old 09-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #936
Blue Crack Addict

New CNN state polls:

Ohio
47-45 Obama

Minnesota
53-41 Obama

Iowa
55-40 Obama

Looks to me like McCain will probably concede Iowa and Minnesota barring something really shocking happening in the next 60 days.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #937
ONE
love, blood, life

Wow, as an Ohio resident who is utterly embarrassed by his state's political leaning, I am elated to see that Obama has taken a slim lead. It's always close in Ohio, but it's usually the Republicans up by a slim margin.

Ohio is not required to win the election(in fact, if we get both New Mexico and Colorado and hold on to Pennsylvania, we can win without getting Ohio, Florida, or Virginia), but it sure would be nice to have it in our column.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #938
Blue Crack Addict

The Republicans have a short memory.

Quote:
MINNEAPOLIS -- Former presidential candidate Mike Huckabee told NBC/NJ today that the recent wave of potentially-damaging news stories about Sarah Palin – including news that her teenage daughter is pregnant – represents a "sexism that is really, really disgusting and embarrassing," and could ultimately galvanize support for the GOP ticket.

Calling media critiques of Palin "unprecedented" ("they never did this to Chelsea Clinton," he said), Huckabee predicted that Palin's victimization would rouse support even from non-Republicans outraged by sexist sentiment.
Luckily, the Internets don't:

Quote:
"Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly? Because Janet Reno is her father".

-John McCain, 1998
Old 09-03-2008, 06:53 PM   #939
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:58 PM
John McCain was in "the media"?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:55 PM   #940
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Wanderer View Post
John McCain was in "the media"?
Don't worry, Rush doesn't disappoint:

Quote:
Columnist Molly Ivins reported (Arizona Republic 10/17/93) this incident from (Rush) Limbaugh's TV show--"Here is a Limbaugh joke: Everyone knows the Clintons have a cat. Socks is the White House cat. But did you know there is a White House dog?" And he puts up a picture of Chelsea Clinton. Chelsea Clinton is 13 years old.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:16 PM   #941
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
New CNN state polls:

Looks to me like McCain will probably concede Iowa and Minnesota barring something really shocking happening in the next 60 days.
No question. McCain doesn't need those two, and I don't think he was ever going to try too hard there.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #942
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Wow, as an Ohio resident who is utterly embarrassed by his state's political leaning, I am elated to see that Obama has taken a slim lead. It's always close in Ohio, but it's usually the Republicans up by a slim margin.

Ohio is not required to win the election(in fact, if we get both New Mexico and Colorado and hold on to Pennsylvania, we can win without getting Ohio, Florida, or Virginia), but it sure would be nice to have it in our column.
I feel Ohio is required.

for McCain /Palin
true they could lose Ohio and still win, I just think is would be difficult.

yes, you are right,
it is not as mandatory for Biden /Obama
Old 09-03-2008, 11:57 PM   #943
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:58 PM
Now I may be leaning Biden / Obama

Quote:
Obama might pursue criminal charges against Bush

Elana Schor in Washington
Wednesday September 03 2008 19:32 BST

Democratic vice-presidential nominee Joe Biden said yesterday that he and running mate Barack Obama could pursue criminal charges against the Bush administration if they are elected in November.

Biden's comments, first reported by ABC news, attracted little notice on a day dominated by the drama surrounding his Republican counterpart, Alaska governor Sarah Palin.

But his statements represent the Democrats' strongest vow so far this year to investigate alleged misdeeds committed during the Bush years.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:08 AM   #944
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
Now I may be leaning Biden / Obama
it's a tragedy that he hasn't been impeached.

clinton lied about a hummer.

bush enacted an illegal, warrant-less wiretapping program.

one of these is not like the other.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:31 AM   #945
Blue Crack Distributor

funny... that same story pushes my lean away from obama.

and hey, it's the hummer argument again!

clinton lied under oath, which is a crime... bush's policies, all be they terribly bad, were not illegal at the time. someone wants to take it to the supreme court to prove them unconstitutional, i'm all for it.

were bush's failed policies 100 times more damaging to our nation than clinton's lying under oath? of course. so whoever wins election should spend all their efforts trying to change those failed policies and fix our standing in the world.

if obama and biden has such a problem with these policies that they plan on pursuing criminal charges against the bush administration they should have done it while it was happening, not as some cheap political ploy to help get elected. if they go further down this road i think it will backfire on them greatly.