US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^Really? It's never once left that impression on my subconcious. I think that says more about the person making the connection and their own fears and prejudices than it ever could about the names themselves. Get real.:huh: (I should clarify that my "Get real" is not directed at you, deep, but to anyone who would actually make that connection.) Sean Hannity, I'm looking at you.:|

Maybe some people are overly cautious ?

Maybe some people are overly sensitive ?

Is this a bad thing ?

I know Obama - Biden are there proper names,

but there are other ways of using their other proper names.

Why? Because it might make some idiot nervous? Too bad. They're not cautious or sensitive. They're uninformed at best (there's no excuse for that in our country), or racist at worst. Neither is a good option.

Maybe some people are overly cautious ?

Maybe some people are overly sensitive ?

Is this a bad thing ?

I know Obama - Biden are there proper names,

but there are other ways of using their other proper names.

But if you start avoiding saying 'Obama-Biden', you are enabling the idiots - yes, idiots - who try to make these ridiculous comparisons, to continue doing so. You(not you personally) are giving credence to to them. That's not the way to go.

Racist / bigoted against Muslims ?

Clearly. Even if Obama was a Muslim, I don't see what the problem would be. As far as I know, the Constitution says there is not religious test required for public office. I know George Bush and the Republican party have made it almost unrecognizable, but it's still the law of the land. Now, since Obama's a Christian, the Muslim idiocy should be laid to rest, but since it's still an ignorant belief held by some people they deserve to be called out for it. I have zero tolerance for racism or prejudice in any manner. I will never be understanding or sympathetic to anyone with that point of view. Sorry.

Clearly. Even if Obama was a Muslim, I don't see what the problem would be. As far as I know, the Constitution says there is not religious test required for public office. I know George Bush and the Republican party have made it almost unrecognizable, but it's still the law of the land. Now, since Obama's a Christian, the Muslim idiocy should be laid to rest, but since it's still an ignorant belief held by some people they deserve to be called out for it. I have zero tolerance for racism or prejudice in any manner. I will never be understanding or sympathetic to anyone with that point of view. Sorry.

:up:

Absolutely.

This is why this behavior absolutely cannot be enabled, encouraged, or be given any credence whatsoever. It's bad enough you can't get elected president without declaring your Christianity, but if these people keep allowing far-right conservatives to be elected because of their ignorance/idiocy, the line of secularism is going to get fainter and fainter until it disappears completely. There are people who wish for the US to be a Christian state. And there are people who think the country is lost if it loses it secularism. It is one of the greatest cultural and political divides in this country today.

:up:

Absolutely.

This is why this behavior absolutely cannot be enabled, encouraged, or be given any credence whatsoever. It's bad enough you can't get elected president without declaring your Christianity, but if these people keep allowing far-right conservatives to be elected because of their ignorance/idiocy, the line of secularism is going to get fainter and fainter until it disappears completely. There are people who wish for the US to be a Christian state. And there are people who think the country is lost if it loses it secularism. It is one of the greatest cultural and political divides in this country today.

I agree. I'm a Christian, though I tend to be more theologically and politically liberal than most. We're not a theocracy, and we very much need that wall between Church and State that our Founding Fathers wisely put in place. I do believe that there are ways that one can bring their faith into public life, without trying to legislate their morals and beliefs for others, though.

Oh, this is good. Joe Biden has a lobbyist problem.

Biden Claimed He Does Not Meet With Lobbyists.
Biden: "I believe this to be true - I just speak for myself, is that I don't meet with lobbyists, I don't meet with lobbyists. It started off as an accident because early on in my career, I didn't have time to do it and I've just never done it. My staff does. And I don't mean, when I say lobbyists, I didn't meet with interest groups out there, my staff does." (CNN's "American Morning," 9/4/08)

But in December of 2007...

"Lobbyists aren't bad people. Special interest groups are not bad people. But guess what? They're corrosive. People who accept money from them aren't bad people. But it's human nature. You go out Lynn and bundle $250,000 for me, all legal, and then you call me after I'm elected and say, 'Joe, I'd like to talk to you about something.' You didn't buy me, but it's human nature, you helped me. I'm going to say, 'Sure Lynn, come on in.' Just like by the way, if I turn around and I'm elected President of the United States of America and you call me and say, 'Joe, I want to come and see you', I'm going to see you. You helped me. You didn't raise me 250 bucks but you put your neck out for me. So they are not bad people. But what it does mean - it means that, the front of the line is always filled by people whose pockets are filled. People who are special interests."

-----------------------

This can't help the image that most people already have of Joe Biden = Washington.

37 million people watched Sarah Palin's speech, only 1 million short of Obama's. This, despite her speech was shown on 6 channels, versus 10 carrying Obama.

Oh, this is good. Joe Biden has a lobbyist problem.

Biden Claimed He Does Not Meet With Lobbyists.
Biden: "I believe this to be true - I just speak for myself, is that I don't meet with lobbyists, I don't meet with lobbyists. It started off as an accident because early on in my career, I didn't have time to do it and I've just never done it. My staff does. And I don't mean, when I say lobbyists, I didn't meet with interest groups out there, my staff does." (CNN's "American Morning," 9/4/08)

But in December of 2007...

"Lobbyists aren't bad people. Special interest groups are not bad people. But guess what? They're corrosive. People who accept money from them aren't bad people. But it's human nature. You go out Lynn and bundle $250,000 for me, all legal, and then you call me after I'm elected and say, 'Joe, I'd like to talk to you about something.' You didn't buy me, but it's human nature, you helped me. I'm going to say, 'Sure Lynn, come on in.' Just like by the way, if I turn around and I'm elected President of the United States of America and you call me and say, 'Joe, I want to come and see you', I'm going to see you. You helped me. You didn't raise me 250 bucks but you put your neck out for me. So they are not bad people. But what it does mean - it means that, the front of the line is always filled by people whose pockets are filled. People who are special interests."

-----------------------

This can't help the image that most people already have of Joe Biden = Washington.

One doesn't contradict the other. He said he doesn't meet with them, his staff does, and then he said that SI people aren't bad people. Nowhere did he contradict his claim that his staff, not him, meets with them.

There's no problem here. It means nothing to those that are on the Obama/Biden train and the people it will upset are already on the McCain/Palin train.

You're reaching.

37 million people watched Sarah Palin's speech, only 1 million short of Obama's. This, despite her speech was shown on 6 channels, versus 10 carrying Obama.

Too bad her speech was full of lies. See the other thread. I think someone else was just calling on you(among other conservatives here) to defend something.

It'd be interesting if we could get a sizeable poll of those viewer impressions of both speeches. Would make for an interesting comparison, that's for sure.

That's because no one knows her, everyone tuned in to find out who she is... If she had been known, or had already been on the trail for awhile these numbers wouldn't have even been close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom