US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7 - Page 50 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2008, 04:14 PM   #736
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post

Why do you think McCain chose Palin?
Simpatico?
should not be dismissed.

If one looks into Palin, they will see that she has a good chunk of the GOP establishment (in Alaska) against her.
She also has appointed Democrats, Independents and she is only able to move legislation by getting support from Democrats.

What Senator does that remind you of?

Old 08-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #737
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:19 AM
Considering the Alaskan sources all say she was not vetted

and McCain met her once - do you think he would be this aware of her record?

Or maybe she's, you know, a woman? And that alone tipped the scales.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:21 PM   #738
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:19 AM
Quote:
one thing we all know

Johnny MacDaddy likes the ladies
Old 08-30-2008, 04:53 PM   #739
Blue Crack Supplier

i would love to hear how McCain thinks she'll govern.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:07 PM   #740
Refugee

Local Time: 04:19 PM
Quote:
I think he chose him for many reasons.

This is one of them. But an even bigger reason in my mind is the populist profile that Biden has in the community, his Catholic roots to working class Pennsylvania and other similar voters is of great value. He appeals to a group of voters that aren't automatic Obama fans.

Why do you think McCain chose Palin?
The funny thing is that Biden is on record as saying that Obama is not qualified to be President.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:25 PM   #741
Blue Crack Supplier

If "the only qualified candidate" has to be one who admittedly doesn't understand the economy, doesn't understand Social Security, and thinks that no American is uninsured ... then I guess I don't want "the only qualified candidate."
Old 08-30-2008, 08:30 PM   #742
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Obama/Biden has a sizable lead in Florida at the moment,.
Really? Check this out:

RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - Florida: McCain vs. Obama

Quote:
Virginia apparently is nearly tied
Thats about right.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - Virginia: McCain vs. Obama

Quote:
and Ohio is always a very narrow margin of victory regardless of who wins.
I wouldn't say always, but it is close at the moment.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - Ohio: McCain vs. Obama

Quote:
a lesser lead in Pennsylvania
Now hear is where the Democrats actually have a solid lead and it will be interesting to watch to see if Palin and the Republican convention can cut into this or flip it. Ridge would have been the better running mate to do that obviously, but Obama did show he has weaknesses in Pennsylvania that the Palin pick might impact.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - Pennsylvania: McCain vs. Obama

I think Pennsylvania will be difficult though. A more likely possiblity would be for McCain to win Florida, Ohio, Virginia, and Colorado. All red states last time and states where the Democrats currently do not have any real leads.

Here is the situation in Colorado:

RealClearPolitics - Election 2008 - Colorado: McCain vs. Obama

Here is the current electoral vote situation if the election were to happen this past week:

RealClearPolitics - Electoral Map
Old 08-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #743
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i would love to hear how McCain thinks she'll govern.

She is already governing. She has done more governing, in point of fact, than the other three Democratic or Republican Presidential or VP nominees.

She is governing Alaska, I believe it's a state in your country, and doing so pretty well by most accounts. A little outside the DC Beltway, which is possibly why you haven't heard of it.

Or maybe you're biased against women and dismiss their achievments.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:14 PM   #744
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:19 PM
Quote:
I'm so fed up of these Republican feminists smashing the glass ceiling.

Who do they think they are?
Old 08-30-2008, 09:53 PM   #745
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
Republican feminists
curious.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:01 PM   #746
ONE
love, blood, life

Executive experience is defined as having run a state or a business, right?

A presidential campaign is a business, you know. A business of which the candidate, namely Obama or McCain, is the CEO. They're big businesses with departments for communications/speechwriting, advertising, policy, scheduling, fundraising, etc etc. Each of the departments has a director, usually chosen and appointed by the candidate him/herself. Decisions are made every day, and the biggest/most important ones are no doubt made by the head honcho - the candidate. It's a business and the candidate - Obama or McCain - is running the whole show, has the final say on everything and bears the ultimate responsibility and/or blame for everything.

Considering that this business of Obama's has raised anywhere from 265 to 340 million dollars so far this election cycle(aka since its foundation) and has in the neighborhood of 60 to 70 million dollars on hand right now, and considering it managed to fill a stadium with 84,000 people the other night to support it, and since it has the support of probably 55-60 million people nationwide, and since he has been complimented by many for how well he's run his campaign, I'd say he's doing a hell of a job running this business of his, and since this business will be nearly two years old when all is said and done, I'd say that's some valuable executive experience.

And I don't know the exact numbers for McCain, but if he's still here, I guess he's doing an ok job(though not as good as Obama) running his business too.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:12 PM   #747
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by financeguy View Post
She is already governing. She has done more governing, in point of fact, than the other three Democratic or Republican Presidential or VP nominees.

She is governing Alaska, I believe it's a state in your country, and doing so pretty well by most accounts. A little outside the DC Beltway, which is possibly why you haven't heard of it.

Or maybe you're biased against women and dismiss their achievments.

perfectly stated.

<>
Old 08-30-2008, 10:39 PM   #748
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfan26 View Post
If "the only qualified candidate" has to be one who admittedly doesn't understand the economy, doesn't understand Social Security, and thinks that no American is uninsured ... then I guess I don't want "the only qualified candidate."

Biden is also on record as saying he would be willing to run on a McCain ticket.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:42 PM   #749
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by namkcuR View Post
Executive experience is defined as having run a state or a business, right?

A presidential campaign is a business, you know. A business of which the candidate, namely Obama or McCain, is the CEO. They're big businesses with departments for communications/speechwriting, advertising, policy, scheduling, fundraising, etc etc. Each of the departments has a director, usually chosen and appointed by the candidate him/herself. Decisions are made every day, and the biggest/most important ones are no doubt made by the head honcho - the candidate. It's a business and the candidate - Obama or McCain - is running the whole show, has the final say on everything and bears the ultimate responsibility and/or blame for everything.

Considering that this business of Obama's has raised anywhere from 265 to 340 million dollars so far this election cycle(aka since its foundation) and has in the neighborhood of 60 to 70 million dollars on hand right now, and considering it managed to fill a stadium with 84,000 people the other night to support it, and since it has the support of probably 55-60 million people nationwide, and since he has been complimented by many for how well he's run his campaign, I'd say he's doing a hell of a job running this business of his, and since this business will be nearly two years old when all is said and done, I'd say that's some valuable executive experience.

And I don't know the exact numbers for McCain, but if he's still here, I guess he's doing an ok job(though not as good as Obama) running his business too.

Ah, but you have already said Obama was qualified as of January 2007 or even earlier, well before he ran this campaign or produced those numbers.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:47 PM   #750
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Ah, but you have already said Obama was qualified as of January 2007 or even earlier, well before he ran this campaign or produced those numbers.
When did he say that?