US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7 - Page 45 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2008, 01:29 PM   #661
Refugee

Local Time: 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post

But this is really completely irrelevant to the point at hand. Do you agree with Southworth's statement?
No, I did not agree with his statement.

Quote:
If you polled 10 people and asked them if the US was at war post-Desert Storm, I guarantee you that 10 out of 10 would say no. You're just talking about semantics here.
But you do realize Desert Storm was a war? US intervention in the Balkans in the 1990s could also be classified as a war, and of course so should the US movement into Afghanistan in 2001.

You could do a poll now, and many people would claim that the United States is not at war. I don't think the results of polling random strangers on the street determines if the United States is at war or not.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #662
Refugee

Local Time: 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
I knew that Bush was in the National Guard. I knew he completed his training. I know he technically served. He never fought in combat or spent years in the military as a career. That's what I was referring to. Don't tell me what I need to admit or not admit. If you misunderstood me or anyone else here, it's not our fault.
Well, technically, neither did Al Gore, Michael Dukakis, or Chris Dodd, but they all are considered to have served in the military which you claimed that Bush did not. I realize now the point I think you were attempting to make, but that is not what you said.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:36 PM   #663
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:40 PM
For all the talk of a Democrat disunity, yesterday in Las Vegas....

Quote:
In opening remarks before Romney took the stage, a Nevada legislator made a strategic error — or at least overestimated the unity in the room.

In trying to rev up the crowd, state Assemblyman Lynn Stewart asked whether there were any Republicans in the auditorium, and received a strong response. But when he asked if there were any McCain Republicans out there, boos filtered back through the cheers.
Then Mitt came through:

Quote:
"I don’t want the guys who ran the Katrina cleanup running my health care, I can tell you that," Romney said.
Here.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:39 PM   #664
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maoilbheannacht View Post
Well, technically, neither did Al Gore, Michael Dukakis, or Chris Dodd, but they all are considered to have served in the military which you claimed that Bush did not. I realize now the point I think you were attempting to make, but that is not what you said.
Let it be said that while Al Gore, Michael Dukakis, and Chris Dodd technically served as well, I consider them in the same situation as W. They may have fulfilled their requirements at the time, but they weren't heroes who fought in combat like McCain and Kerry or those who made a lifelong career out of serving. I don't look down on them for that, I was merely stating that to claim military service experience as necessary to be president, was absolutely ridiculous.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #665
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:40 AM
Quote:
For all the talk of a Democrat disunity, yesterday in Las Vegas....

Then Mitt came through:

Here.

The snippets you posted

suggest one thing

but, the article makes a good case for a McCain / Romney ticket.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:01 PM   #666
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Putin accuses U.S. of orchestrating Georgian war

SOCHI, Russia (CNN) -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has accused the United States of orchestrating the conflict in Georgia to benefit one of its presidential election candidates.

In an exclusive interview with CNN's Matthew Chance in the Black Sea city of Sochi Thursday, Putin said the U.S. had encouraged Georgia to attack the autonomous region of South Ossetia.

Putin told CNN his defense officials had told him it was done to benefit a presidential candidate -- Republican John McCain and Democrat Barack Obama are competing to succeed George W. Bush -- although he presented no evidence to back it up.

"U.S. citizens were indeed in the area in conflict," Putin said. "They were acting in implementing those orders doing as they were ordered, and the only one who can give such orders is their leader." VideoWatch Putin accuse the United States »

White House spokeswoman Dana Perino blasted Putin's statements, saying they were "patently false."

This is an interesting twist.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #667
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep View Post
The snippets you posted

suggest one thing

She wasn't talking about a McCain/Romney ticket. She was talking about the amount of media attention that's been focused on the split in the Democratic party with the talk of certain Democrats not wanting to support Obama. This article clearly made mention of the fact that there's a similar feeling with quite a few Republicans when it comes to John McCain.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:02 PM   #668
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
"I don’t want the guys who ran the Katrina cleanup running my health care, I can tell you that," Romney said.

reminds me of someone who once said, "Republicans tell you that government doesn't work, government is the enemy; and then they get elected, and they prove to us that government doesn't work, government is the enemy."
Old 08-28-2008, 02:04 PM   #669
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
reminds me of someone who once said, "Republicans tell you that government doesn't work, government is the enemy; and then they get elected, and they prove to us that government doesn't work, government is the enemy."
That's something I've honestly always had questions about when it comes to the Republican party. The Republicans, as we all know, say they want smaller government, less government control, etc. If that's the case why would they even want to be in government in the first place?
Old 08-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #670
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
The snippets you posted

suggest one thing

I never said otherwise.

I think Romney is the "best" of the three names bandied about now. Nobody knows Pawlenty and he is not that popular in MN, a state that the Republicans won't win anyway. Lieberman is a douchebag and the religious right can't stand him. So from a GOP point of view, Romney is the best.

Of course, then they can watch the ads where Romney calls McCain a liberal and implies he's a liar, back from the primaries.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:08 PM   #671
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
This is an interesting twist.
I am not sure you can make heads of tails of this Georgia thing - I suspect about 60 things are happening behind the scenes.

Putin is a thug, but I thought W looked into his eyes and saw that he had a good (Christian) soul?
Old 08-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #672
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Putin is a thug, but I thought W looked into his eyes and saw that he had a good (Christian) soul?

when first they met, Putin wore his collar open and had a cross on a necklace, and this convinced Georgie of the above.

what a sentimental simpleton have for a president. this former head of the KGB played him for the fool he is.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:17 PM   #673
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

That's what happens when people elect a President
that ask us to rely on his judgement.

I prefer practical experience, and a track record, for a reliable indicator of what to expect.

If the track record is bad, then you know you don't want them.

So when people keep saying Cheney, Rumsfeld had experience
what is the point?

One can say Bush/ Cheney / Rumsfeld had more experience than Kerry / Edwards in 2004, so what?

Kerry had enough and Bush was clearly a terrible President.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:20 PM   #674
Blue Crack Supplier

as ever, polls this week need to be taken with a grain of salt. a big one.

but Obama's already starting to move. he's up 48-42%, and this doesn't include Wednesday night.

we'll see what happens.

Gallup Daily: Obama Moves Ahead, 48% to 42%
Old 08-28-2008, 02:22 PM   #675
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I am not sure you can make heads of tails of this Georgia thing - I suspect about 60 things are happening behind the scenes.
I agree there are multiple things in play here

it is a bit like a chess tournament

how many moves does one need to think ahead

and there are various combinations dependent on others moves

I do believe when BinLaden tapes were released right before the 2004 election attacking and taunting Bush

it was designed to boost Bush