US 08 Presidential Campaign General Discussion Thread #7 - Page 44 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2008, 12:32 PM   #646
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:14 AM
I know a few emergency med docs, and they're always shaking their heads over the number of people who attempt to (well, have to) rely on emergency room visits for any and all "health care" because they don't have insurance.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 08-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #647
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:14 PM
Dear, dear Senator McCain, this is not what people mean when they say "universal health care plan". I've never even heard of the government picking up someone's ER bills. When I had to go to the ER a couple years ago, we didn't have insurance because the school my dad taught at had just closed, and we didn't have insurance at that point. We just finished paying off that bill a couple months ago. It took over 2 years.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:42 PM   #648
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I know a few emergency med docs, and they're always shaking their heads over the number of people who attempt to (well, have to) rely on emergency room visits for any and all "health care" because they don't have insurance.
And that's what creates the long lines in the ER that everybody likes to complain about.

The comments in that article are really indicative of a head-in-the-sand mentality more than anything else.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #649
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
so you're more qualified than i am to be president simply because you're a veteran?
Hey, according to this guy, yes.

Quote:
According to Scott Southworth, co-chair of Veterans for John McCain,

"Its very important when you're fighting wars on different fronts, that the commander in chief understands what its like to be in the military and serve his country. Barack Obama chose not to serve his country. John McCain chose to serve his country."
Unless you're in fatigues, you are NOT SERVING YOUR COUNTRY.

Doctors, nurses, social workers, teachers, volunteers, community outreach organizers, please go piss off.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:52 PM   #650
ONE
love, blood, life

I guess Scott Southworth missed out on the breaking news that Bush didn't serve in the military either. Does this guy address that?
Old 08-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #651
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
Hey, according to this guy, yes.

Unless you're in fatigues, you are NOT SERVING YOUR COUNTRY.

Doctors, nurses, social workers, teachers, volunteers, community outreach organizers, please go piss off.
Not long ago in this forum I was defending the Iraq War, and someone, maybe multiple people (I forget who, but maybe I'll search for it) said something to me along the lines of:

"Well if you support the war, why aren't you in Iraq? When are you enlisting?"

I pointed out that you can support the war and serve your country without necessarily joining the military. I hope you denounce those remarks made towards me, right? Just wondering. Because I didn't see too many people back me up then.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:04 PM   #652
Refugee

Local Time: 03:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by U2isthebest View Post
I guess Scott Southworth missed out on the breaking news that Bush didn't serve in the military either. Does this guy address that?
Bush served in the Air National Guard which is apart of the military.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #653
Blue Crack Addict

I can't speak for anybody who told you to enlist - you have a beef, take it up with them.

But I think there is a difference between this man saying that Obama CHOSE not to serve his country (in a time of peace, I might add) and somebody wondering why a person doesn't enlist at a time of war when they are pushing that particular war particularly strongly. Again though, I can't guarantee this was whoever's thinking, but it's my first assumption.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:06 PM   #654
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maoilbheannacht View Post
Bush served in the Air National Guard which is apart of the military.
Yeah, for about 3 days. He barely finished his training. Let's be real here. There have so been discrepancies in his records that it's not even funny. There's evidence to prove this. Try researching it.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #655
Refugee

Quote:
Yeah, for about 3 days. He barely finished his training. Let's be real here. There have so been discrepancies in his records that it's not even funny. There's evidence to prove this. Try researching it.
Yeah, there are all kinds of conspiracies and unproven allegations. You can ask Dan Rather about it. But fact remains, you are 100% incorrect when you state that Bush did not serve in the military.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:13 PM   #656
ONE
love, blood, life

I don't consider going through some flight training "serving" in the military. I don't care if it's technically considered that He did the bare minimum and got out. He shouldn't be considered a hero by anyone who's truly served their country as soldiers. such as John McCain and John Kerry did.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:16 PM   #657
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I can't speak for anybody who told you to enlist - you have a beef, take it up with them.

But I think there is a difference between this man saying that Obama CHOSE not to serve his country (in a time of peace, I might add) and somebody wondering why a person doesn't enlist at a time of war when they are pushing that particular war particularly strongly. Again though, I can't guarantee this was whoever's thinking, but it's my first assumption.
Well, the United States was involved multiple wars in the 1990s, so you really can't state that it was a time of peace. In addition, the year after 9/11 and prior to the Iraq war was indeed a time of war as well.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #658
Refugee

Quote:
I don't consider going through some flight training "serving" in the military. I don't care if it's technically considered that He did the bare minimum and got out. He shouldn't be considered a hero by anyone who's truly served their country as soldiers. such as John McCain and John Kerry did.
Its rather simple, Bush served in the military. You claimed he did not. Your factually incorrect. Just admit it and move on.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:21 PM   #659
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Well, the United States was involved multiple wars in the 1990s, so you really can't state that it was a time of peace.
If you polled 10 people and asked them if the US was at war post-Desert Storm, I guarantee you that 10 out of 10 would say no. You're just talking about semantics here.

But this is really completely irrelevant to the point at hand. Do you agree with Southworth's statement?
Old 08-28-2008, 01:26 PM   #660
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Its rather simple, Bush served in the military. You claimed he did not. Your factually incorrect. Just admit it and move on.
I knew that Bush was in the National Guard. I knew he completed his training. I know he technically served. He never fought in combat or spent years in the military as a career. That's what I was referring to. Don't tell me what I need to admit or not admit. If you misunderstood me or anyone else here, it's not our fault.